• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wilderness Survival Campout

I prefer a hardwood fire but for the day we burned logs by slowly feeding them in or by burning them in half Andy was also gracious enough to break a bunch over his knee and under his boot. in some of the photos you can see a rather large brush pile.

If there is interest I may see if Joe will let us do a straight up camping trip to try and clear up the area so pitching tents and having fires is easy. a work day if you will with some drinking around the fire at night, maybe a break to visit a gun shop and do some shooting.

I just helped Marshalls firearms load in a pallet of ammo yesterday.So he should have some deals.I would work as support staff again, bringing up saws tools etc. Are we going to drink a lot of beer and shoot at the moon again? Should I notify the farm groupie in case she wants to bring her cheerleading outfit ? Let me know.

You said you used a saw, do you ever carry a small ax or hatchet?

Sometimes, but usually only when I'm pulling a pulk. That's when I have the larger wood stove with me and need to prep bigger wood. On this trip I only had the small stove with me, so I only brought the Corona pruning saw. I ended up not using the stove, but the saw came in handy for cutting bows, sockets, and tripods.

I have batoned smaller wood with my Griptillian, but prefer to use my SOG fixed blade knife if I need to split larger branches.

P8011136.jpg

But you forgot "biodegradable". [thinking] [laugh]

How about "custom" and "environmentally friendly"? [wink]

That is a nice tool kit, the saw looks sweet, very similar to the set up I use for summer camping, I do a sub in winter with a little bigger ax wettlings 20in , and a folding 20in buck saw. I just found processing wood in icy winter needed a heavier ax to get through the frozen trees with the help of the bigger buck saw.
Do you hunt and process your own animals? that hatchet will come in mighty handy, it’s the perfect size I have an Eastwing, old but functional..

You know when you are field dressing/butchering a good size animal and it’s time to remove the thick bone and sinew from the caucus, some guys use hack saws some sawzalls, even the pruning saw. I have found that the size hatchet Andy has works really well for busting up bone and getting that part of the job done. That’s all.

Next camp out the first man with a hatchet who can kill, skin, process and cook a deer on the fire will forever after be referred to as "Camp God " by the other campers.

the only bone that requires a saw or ax for field processing is the pelvis and if you know what you are doing it isn't required at all

Nothing is really required, you can cut meat off an animal even when it’s still alive. The Native Americans would take the heart out and eat it even when the animal was still breathing and the woman took out their knives and processed the animal right then and there. Bison, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear???

But, in Andy’s case where he has a hatchet already, it comes in mighty handy and makes life easier with multi uses.. Along with the pelvis, the lower leg/hoof, head and rib cage all should be dismantled, leaving the chuck, loins, back strap, eye and round neatly cut and trimmed. But as boghog mentioned , not required.

Some folks really like the primitive stuff so the hatchet can also bust up the skull for the brains if you are into tanning, and the cannon bones and antler for fleshing scrappers, knife handles, fish hooks, toggle switches, spere/arrow heads, it goes on and on. I’ve seen guys make belt buckles, lamps, furniture, jewelry, fuel, medicines all kinds of stuff from the remains.

You can take it as far as you want, but nothing is required not even the hatchet, but if you have one, you might as well use it. . If you just have a knife or a busted Bud bottle, well, you just use that.

Strictly survival? catch, cut, cook and eat.

I think we are getting way to caught up on semantics here. survival, primitive, camping etc... the photo Andy posted was some of his cutting tools yes a hatchet makes for a great tool for all that you mentioned, a full fledged butcher shop makes for even better way to process meat, AFAIK Andy is neither a hunter nor a butcher so going on about the uses in a non survival scenario in butchering animals is a bit OT

Dude, you're starting to concern me. Perhaps Star Trek conventions are better suited to you.
Nothing is really required, you can cut meat off an animal even when it’s still alive. The Native Americans would take the heart out and eat it even when the animal was still breathing and the woman took out their knives and processed the animal right then and there. Bison, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear???

But, in Andy’s case where he has a hatchet already, it comes in mighty handy and makes life easier with multi uses.. Along with the pelvis, the lower leg/hoof, head and rib cage all should be dismantled, leaving the chuck, loins, back strap, eye and round neatly cut and trimmed. But as boghog mentioned , not required.

Some folks really like the primitive stuff so the hatchet can also bust up the skull for the brains if you are into tanning, and the cannon bones and antler for fleshing scrappers, knife handles, fish hooks, toggle switches, spere/arrow heads, it goes on and on. I’ve seen guys make belt buckles, lamps, furniture, jewelry, fuel, medicines all kinds of stuff from the remains.

You can take it as far as you want, but nothing is required not even the hatchet, but if you have one, you might as well use it. . If you just have a knife or a busted Bud bottle, well, you just use that.

Strictly survival? catch, cut, cook and eat.

Dude, you're starting to concern me. Perhaps Star Trek conventions are better suited to you.

LOL….No dude, no worries!!!! I’m a history Geek, have been since grade school. Plus I’m old and had a lot of time to drink beer, smoke cigars and read.

Some are into motor cycles, some stamp collecting. Many know the history of their hobbies and have passion about it. I guess I’m one of those guys except about how people lived, and how they did it.

I asked Andy a question about his stakes because you made it a point to mention it, so I thought he may have done something unusual. To some it’s a dump question and with an obvious answer. It’s like asking a biker what kind of seat ‘s on his bike? the obvious answer, the kind you sit on. But to the biker, he knows the make, year, material used and the little over the top stuff that makes it what it is.

Sorry guys I kinda derailed the thread but Timber asked a question and the thread sort of took off on another direction.
My bad…-(
Tim thanks for keeping up the humor, your pretty funny man..

Any chance you could find out a few weekends that might be available to clean up the base camp site so it will be easier to do these in the future?

sent from the handbasket

I was with Joe all day, I'll find out what works. I think this coming Sat. is a blueberry pruning class put on by UNH folks but that shouldn't affect you with the exception of parking.Probably we would park near the shop.

Joe is up for more adventures, but is in the middle of something right now. A couple weeks and its a go. I know it takes a while to organize. I'm looking forward to it ! Hope to meet some more members.

This year he is turning over the daily operations to a young couple who will run the fruit farm so that he can complete his other projects. So he is excited to be involved in survival training and other recreation on the 250 acre farm.

We want to bring the tractor/hoe up there but not sure if the bridge can handle it.The othe way across the brook is too steep to drag the hoe through. We may shove logs under the bridge temporarily to get it across.

Back
Top Bottom