• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wilderness Survival Campout

Boghog1

NES Member
When: March 10, 2012 10:00am through Mar 11, 2012 unknown departure time
Where: Pustizzi Fruit Farm http://www.pustizzifruitfarm.com/
What: A day of wilderness survival, building a shelter, fire from sparker, bow drill, maybe others. Ways to get water. Any other skills you might have that you would like to share:

Cost: $0.00, although I would suggest maybe we spend some money at Mr. Pustizzi's farm stand for being nice enough to let us use his land

What to bring:
Bring what you would take on a day hike like the following
  1. Rain Gear
  2. Extra clothes
  3. Pocket or sheath knife
  4. Fire starter (matches, chemical, magnify lens,or a magnesium stick)
  5. Map http://maps.wildlife.state.nh.us/website/maps/Topos/topo_135NE.pdf
  6. Compass
  7. Trail Food
  8. Water
  9. Sunglasses and sunscreen
  10. First Aid Kit
  11. Flashlight
  12. Whistle

Plug this location in to google maps to get an idea of where we would be

43.313235,-71.663818

I am going to recommend tents to reduce environmental impact maybe sleeping bags depending on the weather, if we are looking at 40° nights then I would say to get the full effect go without the bag, but since this is for your own benefit I would not force you to go without.

Here are a couple of nice little survival kit ideas

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/survivalkit.asp

Please post in and I will add your name, we will be limited to 10 participants

In
Timber
Timber Guest
daveyburt
Billy2

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting this set up and getting a date.

As you know I can't be there but it looks very interesting in the original thread.

PICS of the sweat dripping onto the bow-and-drill: [smile]
(the first time I was given Fire-Proof bamboo to use as a joke - Not Funny!)

Enjoy and kepp the fire burning!

Matt

Any chance this will happen again...with some warning next time...I would love to do something like this...but I work on the weekends

Hopefully the weather will be decent and those that attend will get to explore and maybe crack off a round or two after the work/learning is done. It was very cold and windy at the top yesterday and Boghog was further handicapped by having to slow his pace for me. It is very scenic and I think ideal for the wilderness training. I should have pulled out my phone and snapped a few pics.

i would love to do this but im gonna be in NY for work for the next 4 weeks. if you do this again please let me know

Hopefully if it is a success ,there will be more camp out and possibly a shoot.Maybe incorporate a family thing during the various berry seasons to keep the other half happy.Fresh Blueberries,strawberries ,rasberries along with fresh cantalope etc can having a calming effect. With two gun shops nearby perhaps while the wives pick berries the men can pick deals on firearms. Win/win.
i would love to do this but im gonna be in NY for work for the next 4 weeks. if you do this again please let me know

Timber, Boghog and I considered calling you when we were at the farm but thought it might be bad form to call with no advance notice.

Hike will be dependent on the health of the group there are many trails on the property but figure at min 1/4-1/2 a mile we could make it as long as around 2-3 miles from the sounds of the trails in the area

Yes, you can take the snowmobile trails for miles or Joes atv trails which wind through the farm.Some have challenging terrain.

CRAP I have a class on the 11th but would love to get into the next one.

Don't feel bad you won't miss much.Just a bunch of great guys hanging out around the campfire having a beer talking about the days shooting with the views of the mountains in the background, or discussing how cool it is that two gun shops are right down the road. Maybe just the Moose that walked by or the coyote that you shot or the flock of turkeys that flew into the trees because the bobcat startled them. Perhaps the neighboring deer farm gave you a tour or Joe made a bunch of his famous fried dough drizzled in homemade maple syrup right off the farm. Don't give it another thought, you'll hardley miss a thing.

Don't feel bad you won't miss much.Just a bunch of great guys hanging out around the campfire having a beer talking about the days shooting with the views of the mountains in the background, or discussing how cool it is that two gun shops are right down the road. Maybe just the Moose that walked by or the coyote that you shot or the flock of turkeys that flew into the trees because the bobcat startled them. Perhaps the neighboring deer farm gave you a tour or Joe made a bunch of his famous fried dough drizzled in homemade maple syrup right off the farm. Don't give it another thought, you'll hardley miss a thing.

You suck!

CRAP I have a class on the 11th but would love to get into the next one.

I have a class on the 10th...but I'd like to get possibly get in on the next one.

Mike, pack your bags, you're going on a Guilt Trip.

Hey, if you don't make it, you don't make. Sure Timber and the boys will probably call you a Homo but in a couple of years it will blow over.

i gotta play this by ear. my back is pretty trashed after a hike this weekend and my chiropractor has been MIA for the past month. i dont really want to have people i dont know carrying me out of the woods [laugh]

Depending upon where Boghog1 decides to camp, you could be evacuated out by truck or atv if needed.There is a large amount of forest but Boghog drove his Ranger up the logging road to the top field on Saturday.
i gotta play this by ear. my back is pretty trashed after a hike this weekend and my chiropractor has been MIA for the past month. i dont really want to have people i dont know carrying me out of the woods [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom