• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wild, wild west

I won't reserve comment!

Just as the CHP assaulted that little old lady in NO, there are many LEOs (but certainly NOT all) from areas where citizen ownership of guns is very tightly regulated, they get indoctrinated starting in grade school that all guns are evil, that only criminals have guns, ad nauseum. Thus, it is easy for their LE leadership to brainwash them to think that every bullet is a "cop killer bullet", every civilian gun is an "assault weapon", ownership of >1 gun and 50 rounds of ammo is an arsenal, and that no civilian needs guns or bullets . . . just call 911 or blow a whistle.

Very "smartly" it seems that the mayor/police chief of NO has brought in CHP, MA MPs, IL LEOs, etc. to do the dirty work of confiscation and "PR" of declaring all the arsenals and dangerous weapons "having no place in a civilized society" . . . it fits with his earlier remarks that only LE will be allowed to be armed, yet it distances himself from any responsibility for these anti-gun troops actions.

I have been in Email communication with some local to NO LEOs and they unequivocally stated that there is NO WAY that they would be confiscated guns from local residents!

On the other hand, this particular person does not seem to be an "upstanding citizen" around whom it would be smart to rally! But the quotes from the MA State Trooper/NG MP is telling . . . even if it was an 80 yo lady with 2 guns and 100 rounds of ammo, his comments (and feelings) would be very similar!

I think that I'm going to agree with Len here.

It does sound like this guy was up to no good...but still, you don't know. You're talking about the south here. This could just be a member of one of the local militias. Not saying that those guys aren't nuts either, but they could have all been legal for him to own.

I think that I would believe that the local police woudn't be the ones to disarm thier own...and to be able to use people from out of state. The Governer and Mayor can say that it wasn't our people that were treating the peopel of NOLA that bad...it was the ones from the other states that were here "Supposedly" helping the great people of NOLA. Or something to that effect.

C-pher said:
It does sound like this guy was up to no good...but still, you don't know. You're talking about the south here. This could just be a member of one of the local militias. Not saying that those guys aren't nuts either, but they could have all been legal for him to own.

Exactly, you don't know. Why? Because if he is licensed the article would have been worth pure crapola. Looks better without telling the whole story. Typical...

One rifle, one pistol, a few shotguns and several thousand rounds constitute an arsenal?
This is the kind of nonsense I'd expect to read in the New York TImes or their local lacky, the Boston Globe.
JT

What I'm wondering about is what, exactly, are "high-explosive grenade launcher rounds"? Do they meant HE grenades? Or a blank that's used to launch grenades from a rifle-mounted launcher?

Or are they trying to make it sound as evil as they possibly can?

I know one of the guys who's in that unit. He's part of our re-enacting family and is a gun owner himself. From what he has said, after 9-11-01 the majority of the guys in his unit became 2nd Amendment supporters (if they weren't already). However, they've been given orders and like it or not, they have to follow them.

Also, do please keep in mind that the reporter's own beliefs will come through in the article and he'll write what he wants the article to show. He probably talked to a number of guys and found one that said what he wanted to hear, or, tweaked quotes to show what he wanted.

Lynne said:
However, they've been given orders and like it or not, they have to follow them.

Aaaah, yes. It all becomes clear again. It's perfectly all right to violate the constitution as long as you're following orders. That's why the eventually had to release and apologize to all those SS camp guards and administrators.

Gray areas can make it really rough for someone who actually remembers and takes seriously the oath they swore when they enlisted or received their commission, but that's why they pay you the big bucks. [roll]

"I, [name], do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; ..." When push comes to shove, that has to take precedence over the "following orders" part I omitted (since it differs for officers and enlisted).

Ken

I see they were picky enpough about WHICH Guardsmen were doing the confiscating. Our boys from up here WEREN'T being used for that. They know better anyways, or at least the NCO leadership does.

I'll have to check my closet, but 3000 rounds doesn't really sound like that much to me.

I have to wonder if the guy was just taking his collection with him so that if looters busted into his place his guns wouldn't fall prey...

From www.drudgereport.com....

Groups call arms seizures 'arbitrary'
By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
September 23, 2005

Two national gun rights groups yesterday joined individual Louisiana gun owners in a federal lawsuit to stop authorities from confiscating firearms from private citizens in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
The National Rifle Association (NRA) and the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) filed a motion in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, seeking a temporary restraining order to halt the seizures of guns from law-abiding citizens. They described the confiscations as "arbitrary," "without warrant or probable cause" and thus "illegal."
New Orleans Police Superintendent P. Edwin Compass III "completely overstepped his bounds ... when he announced two weeks ago in the New York Times that only law-enforcement personnel are allowed to have weapons," Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the 3-million member NRA said in an interview yesterday.
The police superintendent's comments were echoed by the city's Deputy Police Chief Warren Riley, who told ABC News: "No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons."
SAF founder Alan Gottlieb called the gun seizures "outrageous" and "illegal." He said New Orleans officials have refused to tell gun rights groups why they are now leaving citizens, already devastated by the Category 4 hurricane, "defenseless against lingering bands of looters and thugs."
They "left us with no recourse" but litigation, Mr. Gottlieb said.
Mr. LaPierre noted TV news coverage showing law-enforcement personnel going door-to-door to seize guns from New Orleans-area residents -- an action he said is unprecedented in U.S. history. The NRA official said he's talked to "hundreds of people who are enraged" about the new policy.
Given the lawlessness in New Orleans, residents who remain in the storm-ravaged area there need their guns for protection, said Mr. LaPierre.
"Things are worse at night, and people say their gun is the only source of comfort they have, the one thing they can depend on to save themselves and their families," Mr. LaPierre said, noting that a "third of the New Orleans Police Department walked off their jobs" during the Katrina emergency.
"In fact, the Second Amendment has really been the underpinning for [New Orleans] citizens to stay alive," he said.
Opponents of private gun ownership often say that public safety is their goal, "but in New Orleans, there was a complete collapse of government's ability to protect anyone," Mr. LaPierre said. "Citizens could only count on the looters, robbers and rapists."
Attempts to reach the New Orleans Police Department yesterday about its gun confiscation policy were unsuccessful.
Plaintiffs in the suit against the City of New Orleans are two local gun owners. One, whom Mr. LaPierre identified as Buell Teel, was on a boat rescuing people. "To protect himself, he had a firearm on the boat," which police saw and seized, Mr. LaPierre said.

Nickle said:
SiameseRat said:
I'll have to check my closet, but 3000 rounds doesn't really sound like that much to me.

I've got more than that in 7.62x39 alone.

I haven't done a full inventory lately, I think that there are 2 or 3 calibers of which I have more than that amount, and another 4 or 5 that would be close. A few years back I realized that I had about 20,000 rounds of .22 in the trunk of my car. Didn't do a lot for gas mileage, but probably helped during the winters. [roll]

Ken

Back
Top Bottom