Wild West Tech

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
My Saturday morning chores were interupted by the History Channel. One of my favorite series, Wild West Tech was on and it featured one of it's best shows, "Six-Shooter Tech". Besides being a very interesting show, this was the episode where David Carradine replaced his brother Keith as the host in a very interesting segment. Several interesting bits of information were presented.

Who invented the percussion cap and where?

How did Sam Colt come up with the idea for a revolving cylinder?

Which famous old west lawman had an AD when his six-shooter fell out of his carry method onto the floor and discharged?

Who can answer any of these questions without research?

http://www.historychannel.com/wildwesttech

Good show. David Carradine is right up there with Chuck Norris in my book.

History Channel is one of my favorites. Who cares about American Idol when I can watch dogfight footage from WWII.

Off the top of my head I cannot recall the name of who invented the percussion cap. I believe however, that he was an English clergyman.

Colt claimed to have gotten the idea of a revolver from waatching a ship's wheel during his stint as a cabin boy. Some historians have seriously questioned this and think that much of the development of the revolver really goes to a gunsmith in Baltimore who Colt had contracted to make some prototypes.

I think that Wild Bill Hickock was the AD lawman.

Mark

1. Close, he was Scottish (if I remember the scene correctly).

2. Yep, that's the story. Colt was a sailor before he began manufacturing firearms. Without anu corroborating evidence I guess you have to go with what the man who was there says.

3. Hickok may have had an AD, but he was not the one featured in this show. Think Hugh O'Brien, Kevin Costner, or Kurt Russell.

KMaurer said:
Except that Chuck Norris crippled grandmother would wipe the floor with David Carridine.
But only because Jack Bauer permitted it, for it amused him.

On topic: Yeah, I love the show too ... Tivo is always on patrol for new episodes.

Back
Top Bottom