Wild Boar Hunts

Are we talking about shooting pigs, or hog hunting? Have never done the former, lots of experience with the latter.

Tioga Ranch in PA is six hours away. I went with a couple friends. The drive is nice and simple. I definitely recommend this place. The service was great, guide, food, and people very nice. The meat processing is an add on but worth the cost—if you’re looking for that. Everything was separated and vacuum sealed exactly to our order. We took almost every organ and had them process nose to tail. You can exchange some of your meat for smoked bacon and sausage too.

Wild russian boar, Fairlee/wild hill preserve was something like 1000 fenced in acres they had hunts for russian boar, not the feral wild pigs that are overtaking the south.
Ah, didn't realize. Also, my post was about bedding fat chicks.

Wild Whatever "released" hogs to be hunted. I actually did it many many years ago. We needed dogs and tracker to get them. So it was a legit southern-type hunt. But a buddy of mine went a year or two before and literally they said, "sit here. Don't move. Shoot the first pig you see." 15 min later, one LONE hog wanders by at teh bottom of the draw. It was completely canned. Although he went on a weekend and I on a weekday.

The Plott hounds were annoying as F. Gosh they never stop barking. Ever. The crew was great. Richter was the real-deal hunter but had seen too much. A few years prior to me going one hunter getting off of an ATV accidentally shot another in the chest. Ultra-expanding bullet. Something that wasn't even needed for up there. Shredded teh guy's chest cavity. Dead on the spot.

There was (is) this huge meadow above the camp where the exotics lived. THAT was cool to just sit and glass. But it was still a barrel shoot to some extent.

Later years, he would "import" a few buffalo. That must have been a pretty silly "hunt." Effectively go into a corral and shoot a buffalo. But it was a fairly cheap way to get a whole buffalo worth of meat.

I had mixed feelings about the place. Maybe b/c I overcooked both of my boar hams. Cooked the first to 190. DUMBDUMBDUMB. Three months later, I completely forget and run the second one to 180. Taste was great. But both came out tough and burnt at that temp.

Last I saw, he closed down the hunting but had it open as a ranch and exotic viewing place. I guess the liability and regulation was too much. Richter bought it off of a guy that might even have not been the original owner. I've long forgotten all of that.

Best I ever saw was one of the guy that works at Busse was going on a pig hunt and Jerry made him a spear. Dude took his pig WITH A SPEAR! (Holding it, not throwing it). That's bad-ass.

I've love to shoot an elk. I'm not sure my stubby legs could handle walking up and down a mountain for 3 days to get one. Mountable is 700lbs of meat. SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS OF MEAT! Damn. DAMN!!!!!

You could try Corbin Park Preserve in Croydon, NH. They list feral hogs. Only caveat is it is membership only. Membership costs about $200K per year. Seems reasonable....

You could try Corbin Park Preserve in Croydon, NH. They list feral hogs. Only caveat is it is membership only. Membership costs about $200K per year. Seems reasonable....

I used to walk the area outside the fence in hopes of getting an escaped pig, no luck.

Back
Top Bottom