• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wild Boar Hunting in New England (NH)?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there are places outside of a private game ranch to hunt wild pig in New Hampshire or in New England? I've heard that there is a private game preserve in the Newport Sunapee area of NH that has wild Russian Boar - I'm wondering if there are any places with publicly accessible land where you can hunt wild boar.

Anyone have experience hunting boar or feral pigs in New England?

Thanks in advance.

You are talking about Corbin Park. If you call F&G they will give you the Ph # to the caretaker, he can give you permission to hunt outside the reserve. NH does not regulate swine and see's all swine in the wild as the property of Corbin park. The change in the hunting regs came about w/ Lynch. The boar are small and will run at the slightest sound or scent that is off. The Boar are European and has a toe between and behind the hooves.

Edit: Wild boar are not here yet, they are as far north as NJ. Give it another 15 years.

Last edited:
or you just go here:

http://huntwildhill.com/

I didn't know that about the change in NH law re. needing permission to hunt the "escapees" from Corbin... when I lived up near there there was a breeding population established in Enfield and it was open season...

I used to love boar hunting in Western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what the status is there anymore, as I have been away from OH/PA for many years now. Would be nice to do some boar hunting in New England and not have to pay a zillion dollars to put some meat in the deep freeze...

Wild Hill Preserve in VT. http://huntwildhill.com/index.htm

Have a friend I'm seeing this morning. He got one years ago, I forget if it was the one in NH or VT.

I'll check and reply.

The page for Russian Boar in VT, http://huntwildhill.com/wild hill_036.html

I recall he said the first shot didn't take it out, it holed under a large evergreen with dense, low cover where you have to be careful finding it while it might find you.

Dana

Wild Hill Perserve....

I used to love boar hunting in Western Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what the status is there anymore, as I have been away from OH/PA for many years now. Would be nice to do some boar hunting in New England and not have to pay a zillion dollars to put some meat in the deep freeze...

I went to Wild Hill many years ago on a Boar Hunt. Boar went down with one shot. Spun around a couple times on his side and expired. The guides field dressed it and dragged it out.

That one round cost me a Grand between the "hunt", cutting/packaging like it came from the market and the mount. It ate good but it wasn't much of a "hunt". "Stand here and wait while we drive them by you guys." We went out at 8:30 AM and I was back on the porch having a beer by 11:00 AM.

It was OK, but I'm not in any hurry to repeat it. Strange part to me was the amount of "hunters" who thought it was the hunt of a lifetime.

YMMV.

I went to Wild Hill many years ago on a Boar Hunt. Boar went down with one shot. Spun around a couple times on his side and expired. The guides field dressed it and dragged it out.

That one round cost me a Grand between the "hunt", cutting/packaging like it came from the market and the mount. It ate good but it wasn't much of a "hunt". "Stand here and wait while we drive them by you guys." We went out at 8:30 AM and I was back on the porch having a beer by 11:00 AM.

It was OK, but I'm not in any hurry to repeat it. Strange part to me was the amount of "hunters" who thought it was the hunt of a lifetime.

YMMV.

Yeah, that's just not my cup of tea....The boar we hunted in WPA were just running around in the woods. Local hunters would put low platforms up here and there, (to run to)....Haven't been since the 80's - I hope it hasn't become commercialized.

Call Archer's Lanes in Attleboro and talk to Al. He has experience at a ranch in NH and will give you the lowdown. After talking to him you may think twice about canned hunts.

I talked to my friend. He got his in VT, in the late 80's. 30-06. He got the meat and had the head mounted.

He said they can be dangerous as others know. His shot clipped the spine as it ran by. He checked where it ran off to, under a fir tree on a steep slope. He said it still had forward legs working and leaped at him and rolled downhill and hit a log at the base by a stream. Gave it a final shot. He still has the mount.

Dana

Back
Top Bottom