• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wiggle between upper and lower on AR

Hi guys,

I'm a complete noob to AR's. I have a brand new Windham carbine I just picked up. Not owning one before, I noticed that there is a slight wiggle between the upper and lower. At first I though the pistol grip was a little loose, so i separated the rifle to isolate the grip itself. After mating the upper and lower, that's when I noticed that is where the wiggle was.

Is a little play normal? I don't want to go through hassle of shipping a rifle to Windham if this is normal. I've done a little research and it seems to be normal, and have even heard that a little wiggle is better than too tight.

Thanks for any feedback!

My first AR platform was an M16A1 that had enough wiggle that I could play it like a maraca, but it still shot accurately. I wanted to keep it, but the Army said no :)

Normal for a shitty rifle.

Get an AK and then you won't have that chintzy "Made In China" feeling from your shoulder mounted plastic toy.

Shoulder a piece of hardened steel and your dick grows a verifiable 3 inches in length. Why do you think I walk with a gimp- it's from me stepping on my dick all of the time.

I'm kind of OCD about that stuff even though it apparently is common and has no effect on accuracy from my research. That being said, I was very pleasantly surprised that my Spikes lower mated to a BCM upper with an absolutely perfect fit with no play at all. I was very concerned about mixing parts causing that situation, but you never really know since it happened to you with a factory built rifle. I would buy an Accuwedge if I was in your situation.

Get an AK and then you won't have that chintzy "Made In China" feeling from your shoulder mounted plastic toy.

Shoulder a piece of hardened steel and your dick grows a verifiable 3 inches in length. Why do you think I walk with a gimp- it's from me stepping on my dick all of the time.

[laugh2]Thanks for making me spray coffee all over my damn keyboard!

I own both, so they must cancel each other out.

[rofl]

On the flip side, I have one upper that is off just enough I have to slam the parts together to get the pin started and usually it takes a tool to push it out again.

I'll eventually likely get a file out and "adjust" it, but its a spare that I have no plans to build currently. Who knows, one day I might get a loose lower that fits great. (^_^)

Telepathically uploaded via my iPhone 13.

On the flip side, I have one upper that is off just enough I have to slam the parts together to get the pin started and usually it takes a tool to push it out again.

I'll eventually likely get a file out and "adjust" it, but its a spare that I have no plans to build currently. Who knows, one day I might get a loose lower that fits great. (^_^)

Telepathically uploaded via my iPhone 13.

I personally would rather have that situation of "too tight", because you can always do a precision fit with a file, mill, or other method WAY easier than adding material back to get a good fit.

So...... I can double my length by purchasing what piece of steel? And is there anything I can do about the girth? [rofl]

I'm kind of OCD about that stuff even though it apparently is common and has no effect on accuracy from my research. That being said, I was very pleasantly surprised that my Spikes lower mated to a BCM upper with an absolutely perfect fit with no play at all. I was very concerned about mixing parts causing that situation, but you never really know since it happened to you with a factory built rifle. I would buy an Accuwedge if I was in your situation.

What is surprising is that my spikes lower matched to my stag upper has no wiggle. And my spikes lower matched to my spikes upper has wiggle. Just different ends of the acceptable tolerances.

I would advise against the accu wedge. If installed incorrectly it can obstruct the BCG. You can use an o-ring on the front upper pivot area to reduce the wiggle.

My spikes lowers hold any upper tight...my DPMS lowers wiggle with any upper...my Vltor upper/Spikes lower is the tightest/best fit. I Accu wedge my lose ones just because I hate that wobbly feel when handling, and because the wedges are only a few bucks.

LMAO!!!

... and your dick grows a verifiable 3 inches in length...

So...... I can double my length by purchasing what piece of steel? And is there anything I can do about the girth? [rofl]

Dude, when you admit that your dick is 3" already, the girth is not going to help you.

Flintoid, you need to coil the snake around your waist. [rofl]

It's Windham what do you expect?

OHH SNAP!!

kevin-ware-bone-sticking-out-leg-compound-fracture.jpg

my dick is already considered a weapon of mass destruction, if it gets any bigger, it will be banned by the government, the AR keeps it in check.

Response to the OP:

I thought the same thing, then my buddy told me it as normal........what a sigh of relief

Get a Norinco AK for that matter. Gotta be milled.

On the topic... My New Frontier polymer lower fits snug the LRB upper, and easy to takedown as well. A win for plastic.

Well this is a good public announcement, if your planning on getting your wife/girlfriend a AK47 you may want to reconsider, she may grow some balls

OP: How much play are you talking about? Consider that AR-15 uppers and lowers are, by design, held together with pins meant to come out with no tools, or the tip of a bullet. I have been to Windham and taken a factory tour and armorers course. Their QC is extremely stringent. They had lower receiver rejects that had nothing wrong with them, aside from a tiny dot imperfection. They would not ship if there was something wrong. Of course things can slip through the cracks, but if all you are talking about is a very small amount of play, that should be normal. Don't buy an accuwedge, and dont stick anything in there, it isn't necessary.
If you have a problem please contact Erik Winter. He is head gunsmith and tech support over at WW. [email protected]
Where do you live? I may go to range tomorrow, I'll take a look at it if you are local enough.
And of course, if you really don't like it, I'll do the obligatory NES offer to take it off of your hands : ).

Why are AK fanbois always talking about dicks?

ak-47-1200.png

Back
Top Bottom