wifes first firearm purchace gets delayed

71olds442

NES Member
my wife and i go to bass pro shops to buy a 870 after waiting for are number to get called she fills out the paper work after about a half hour on hold they come back and say there is a delay they will call if nics calls saying it ok or come back on friday to pick it up i ask why there was a delay the guy said maybe because it was her first purchace anyone have any ideas i fustrated my wife does have a class a

No idea...Never had a delay for my Wife or myself and we are some what newer gun owners with 5 purchases..Have seen people get delayed during 3 of our purchases..No idea why but the people were pissed

It's not an uncommon occurrence, and generally attributable to similarity in information (name, d.o.b., etc.) between the transferee, and a prohibited person.

A "Delay" response from NICS prohibits the FFL from transferring the firearm(s) until:

1. A "proceed" response is received prior to three business days (exclusive of the day the query is made) elapsing; or

2. No further response is received, and no less than three business days have elapsed (exclusive of the day the query is made)

If it continues to occur, she can request a VAF be established and maintained, and thereby obtain a UPIN, which will likely alleviate the problem.

my wife and i go to bass pro shops to buy a 870 after waiting for are number to get called she fills out the paper work after about a half hour on hold they come back and say there is a delay they will call if nics calls saying it ok or come back on friday to pick it up i ask why there was a delay the guy said maybe because it was her first purchace anyone have any ideas i fustrated my wife does have a class a
I get delayed every time and I have been buying/selling/owning firearms for years. Has nothing to do with whether it is your first purchase or your 1,000th. Maybe some criminal has a name similar to hers. That would easily be enough to cause a delay.

My first two purchases went through with no delay and only took 5-10 minutes for the call back. 3rd purchase was delayed due to heavy deman on calls. Yeah its a PIA but it happens........had to go back the next day to pick up the shottie I bought for my son. It is what it is. But like others have said.,.....if it happens alot just get the UPIN.

I have read that small glitches in the system like this are caused by minor issues that generally are worked out.

Back
Top Bottom