Wife's first firearm experience

So add me to the ranks of (lucky) NES'rs:

My wife asked me to try out shooting some handguns.

(I've been bugging her for years to try, practice, take classes, and get her LTC, etc. I had backed off last summer.)

I had backed off, and then she suggested it on her own, thinking it might help her "de-stress."

We took this as an opportunity to try out my new cerberus center-fire target.

She shot a Sig2022 and an SR9c at 15 and at 7 yards. She liked the Ruger better, FWIW (I just think 'cause it's lighter, and it didn't have a hi-cap mag like the Sig.)

Wife: A bit nervous ("deathly afraid" were her exact words), took instruction very well, shot five magazines. Had originally stated she would only shoot one round, just to try it!

The only reason she quit was it was about 27 degrees outside, and she thought the horses were getting spooked.

Conclusion: She enjoyed it, would do it again, but thought I probably shouldn't buy her a pistol as a Christmas gift – yet...

Cerberus Target: Carried the four legs separate from the cross bar with the paddles (five pieces). Carried it back to truck with crossbar with paddles separate from the legs clamped into the bracket (three pieces) which made way more sense. This fit nicely in the back seat of the truck.

No need to torque the nuts down, I left everything hand tight. It comes apart for carrying/storage in a minute. Like I had written earlier, I may just store the parts in two rifle cases.

We only used 9mm today, but of course the plates held up just fine. Honestly, if I painted them, you wouldn't even know they were used...here's a quick pic after a few rounds just to see the "damage." Barely scuffed.

sendit.jpg

Conclusion: Maybe the best firearm accessory money I've spent. Can't wait to try other firearms and give it a real workout.

A successful brief afternoon all around. [thumbsup]

EDIT: Ha! I just read ToddDubya's post--congratulations! Maybe this should be a sticky: Stories about "converted family members!"

Last edited:
You got further then I did. I got my wife to take the basic safety course and now to talk her into actually applying for her LTC! She is afraid of guns and when I met her dead set against them to the point she wouldn't even let her daughter (my step daughter) play with a squirt gun. Now she would like a gun in the house for personal protection.
Mike

Nice, bro. I'm in the same situation. Wife is ready to take the course. She shot with her dad as a kid and now wants to be licensed. I have a feeling this going to end up costing me some serious bucks--worth it.

Now just get her something of her own choosing that she would like to shoot (read as really comfortable to shoot). My wife hated the idea of handguns, but now asks to go to the range on the weekend. She loves the 22 and a 9mm. I just got a S&W 60 with a 3" barrel, and I'm lucky if she lets me shoot it. Its her new favorite.

Also wait until the weather warms up, and she'll be much more agreeable if she is anything like mine. If she shot more than one mag, she's hooked, and you're good for the near future.

Agree with Pilot. She shot more than 1 mag she's hooked, But doesn't know it yet. Supposed to warm up this week. If you have time tell her your going shooting. She what her response is.

My money is you'll have company.

Back
Top Bottom