• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife name change

Just got married a few weeks ago. And the WIFE is wondering if she needs to inform the state for her class A LTC that her name has changed and if so how?

Thanks

Name changing is a pain in the ass....I got some good advice so here goes

Start at the social security office. Dont bother trying anything else until she has a new San card.

Take the old San card & the new San card to the rmv for a new license and registration. Don't matter if she likes her old picture...get a new one.

Take the docs from the rmv & apply for a new passport. There is a limited amount of time you can. Renew the passport, if she already has one, for no or reduced fees due to name chane by marriage.

Some will say give the local pd min required....I say overwhelm them with proof right off the bat. It's harder for them to argue when u ask for a new photo I'd

Yep it all starts at Social Security, plan on making a day of it, think "People of Wal-Mart" but at a government office and S.S.I. is the objective.

My wife contacted the PD after her name changing stuff was done and IIRC the licensing officer told her not to worry about it, and that it would change upon renewal. *shrug*

Just went through this. I couldn't find any specific info, so I treated it like a change of address. Certified letter to CHSB, my current town, and the town the license was issued in. I've yet to get anything back from any of them.

And btw, the SSI thing can be mailed in. Saves taking a day off work and what I'm certain is a *lovely* trip to the .gov offices. [wink]

My wife contacted the PD after her name changing stuff was done and IIRC the licensing officer told her not to worry about it, and that it would change upon renewal. *shrug*

Mostly likely totally fine....you just gotta be to prove you did all you could in case you ever have the need....which hopefully you wont

Mostly likely totally fine....you just gotta be to prove you did all you could in case you ever have the need....which hopefully you wont

Agreed.

I thought about that a lot. She did, too. Being MA and all, you know?

Couldn't come up with anything that might make it matter. Like, what if she had to shoot somebody? Is the name being wrong on the license really a big concern? Or what if she was carrying, got pulled over, asked to exit/frisked and the name on the license that's presented when the gun is found is wrong... But the pic is right, driver's license is right, number checks out, name change is obvious, etc etc.. We couldn't come up with a good reason to fight the licensing officer to get a new license issued, so we let it go. :)

Well when you go to buy a gun and the name doesn't jive, assuming the dealer doesn't really know you, I'd guess you have a 50-50 chance of being turned away by the dealer.

I would push for a new LTC. Should be treated the same as lost/stolen/destroyed, no cost and only a few keystrokes to do it.

Finally getting the wife's LTC app filled out and got a question. After much diligent searching, I'm unable to find an answer.

The question on the app is "Have you ever used or been known by a different name? If yes, explain." Does that mean a married woman must mention her maiden name and when she changed it due to marriage?

Whatever you do, do not use a hyphen anywhere in your name. Some databases and systems allow it, others don't.

You will be in for a lifetime of aggravation if you have a hyphen.

why change it, I thought that this was the "age of enlightenment and equality" [laugh]

Because if she wants to keep her maiden name, she can remain single. Screw enlightenment. [crying]

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever you do, do not use a hyphen anywhere in your name. Some databases and systems allow it, others don't.

You will be in for a lifetime of aggravation if you have a hyphen.

Hmmm....if it would screw up the state computers, then I'd add a hyphen everywhere.

Yep it all starts at Social Security, plan on making a day of it, think "People of Wal-Mart" but at a government office and S.S.I. is the objective.

[rofl] you nailed it.

I was just in there a month ago.
The Security guard on duty was yelling out some general rules for whoever was listening:
No food, a few other things i dont remember, and then i heard No guns.
This is a federal building. So heads up

Back
Top Bottom