• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wife moved to FL from MA-questions of how to buy

hessy

NES Member
My wife moved to FL from MA because of her work and is renting an apartment there now. I still work in MA and both of us had LTC in MA, but she is now a FL resident. I figure she now has nice gun shops nearby (Tampa area), can we explore this situation to possibly bring pre-94 rifle to MA?
She did inform MA licensing authority of her move to FL. It seems her residency in FL will end in 1 year when her work is done.
Thanks for suggestions.

Florida isn’t Massachusetts.

You are over thinking it because Massachusetts has brow beaten gun owners into submission with restrictions the rest of free America isn’t bothered by.

Technically she doesn’t need anything. Any FFL can sell her any long gun that is legal for her to possess in Mass.

For a hand gun:
Did she get a FL drivers license? If so that’s all she needs.

If not section 18b defines what qualifies as supplemental documents. Basically any government document showing a Florida address. A resident fishing license is sufficient for most FFL’s, an electric bill from a state owned utility etc.

Bob

4473 18b:
Question 18.b. Supplemental Documentation: Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the law. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of transferee/buyer may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's/buyer's residence address. This supplemental documentation should be recorded in question 18.b., with the issuing authority and type of identification presented. For example, if the transferee/buyer has two States of residence and is trying to buy a handgun in State X, he may provide a driver's license (showing his name, date of birth, and photograph) issued by State Y and another government-issued document (such as a tax document) from State X showing his residence address. A valid electronic document from a government website may be used as supplemental documentation provided it contains the transferee's/buyer's name and current residence address.

My question would be why did she become a FL resident if she's only going to be there a year? Seems like a PITA to integrate back into MA once her commitment is done.

No income tax in FL is the first good reason, discounted admission to Disney and other places as a FL resident, being able to walk into a gun shop and buy anything you want, able to buy a gun FTF with just a proof of residency, shall I continue?

My wife moved to FL from MA because of her work and is renting an apartment there now. I still work in MA and both of us had LTC in MA, but she is now a FL resident. I figure she now has nice gun shops nearby (Tampa area), can we explore this situation to possibly bring pre-94 rifle to MA?
She did inform MA licensing authority of her move to FL. It seems her residency in FL will end in 1 year when her work is done.
Thanks for suggestions.

If your wife's present intention is to return to MA after a duration of time, she has not become a FL resident as a matter of traditional state law.

She may be what AFT considers a "dual resident" for purposes of federal firearms law.

In any event, if you and your wife are residents of different states, you may not transfer firearms from one to another.

But when she comes back to MA, she can bring a whole bunch of things that are hard to get affordably in MA as long as they have 10 round magazines.

Imagine being able to buy as many Glocks as you want at MSRP or less !!!

Thanks for all replies. Yes, she did notify MA of moving and yes, she did get FL drivers licence. For obvious reasons: no state tax on her salary in FL and no tourist tax on apartment rent in FL for residents. Anyone knows good friendly shops/FFLs in the Tampa-St Pete areas?

I am all confused. [cheers]

9743984922_af7d7104f3_z.jpg

My question would be why did she become a FL resident if she's only going to be there a year? Seems like a PITA to integrate back into MA once her commitment is done.

There is no "becoming a florida resident" at least with respect to buying guns. The fact that she is making a home in FL automatically makes her a resident of FL.

Also, if she still maintains a home in MA, when she comes back to MA on weekends or holidays, she is still a MA resident when she is here.

Horizontal Hunter mentioned Question 18 on the 4473,

Now go to the instructions for question 2 on teh 4473.

If the transferee/buyer has two States of residence, the transferee/buyer should list his/her current residence address in response to question 2 (e.g., if the transferee/buyer is purchasing a firearm while stayingat his/her weekend home in State X, he/she should list the address in State X in response to question 2).

If your wife's present intention is to return to MA after a duration of time, she has not become a FL resident as a matter of traditional state law.

She may be what AFT considers a "dual resident" for purposes of federal firearms law.

In any event, if you and your wife are residents of different states, you may not transfer firearms from one to another.
If she is a "dual resident" she can totally transfer firearms to him while in MA.

If she is a "dual resident" she can totally transfer firearms to him while in MA.
True, but NOT if she notified the FRB/issuing chief that she moved. The system may allow it, but legally she gave up her LTC when she did that. Thus, it was not really a smart thing for her to do, but that is water over the dam at this point.

Damn, if my wife moves to a free state, I'm outta here!! And I ain't coming back!
Yeah, but I still work here in MA. And there is no job for me in FL. Anyway, she notified the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea when she moved. I thought that is all she needed to do. When I visit, we will go check the local gun shops. Dorian did not touch the area at all.

<<Also, if she still maintains a home in MA, when she comes back to MA on weekends or holidays, she is still a MA resident when she is here.>>

that sounds interesting...

Yeah, but I still work here in MA. And there is no job for me in FL. Anyway, she notified the Firearms Records Bureau in Chelsea when she moved. I thought that is all she needed to do. When I visit, we will go check the local gun shops. Dorian did not touch the area at all.
Legally one has to do more than notify FRB when you move. But she shouldn't have even done that in this case.

But she shouldn't have even done that in this case.
You keep saying that.

If I were a tax refugee on a year+ relocation to a Free State,
I would totally punt residency in this 1st World <Bleep>hole
(using the proper process).

If and when I moved back,
I'd bring along plenty of new non-Marsha gear
under the New Resident Safe Harbor rule
as I applied for a brand new LTC.

That's the kind of wallhack that NES dreams are made of.

P. S. I should have just asked you this past weekend,
but while I wasn't grokking your rationale in this thread,
it didn't elevate to an action item if I ran in to you.

You keep saying that.

If I were a tax refugee on a year+ relocation to a Free State,
I would totally punt residency in this 1st World <Bleep>hole
(using the proper process).

If and when I moved back,
I'd bring along plenty of new non-Marsha gear
under the New Resident Safe Harbor rule
as I applied for a brand new LTC.

That's the kind of wallhack that NES dreams are made of.

P. S. I should have just asked you this past weekend,
but while I wasn't grokking your rationale in this thread,
it didn't elevate to an action item if I ran in to you.
Since we assume she is married to someone staying in MA, I'm not so sure how well this works out. Married filing separately takes a tax hit between 2 people earning decent money.

Besides the tax issue too many confuse tax issues with LTC residency. She could play the tax game and still maintain her LTC, the two are not connected. DOR doesn't cross-check FRB for dual residents.

True, but NOT if she notified the FRB/issuing chief that she moved. The system may allow it, but legally she gave up her LTC when she did that. Thus, it was not really a smart thing for her to do, but that is water over the dam at this point.

Keep in mind, when I was talking about her being a FL resident when she's down there and a MA resident when she's up here, I'm talking about Fed law.
Len is bringing up how MA handles things. Which may be different.

The way to work this would have been to keep her drivers license and voter registration in MA. Have her file MA income tax returns. So she remains DOMICILED IN MA. Then her LTC remains valid.

If she retains her permanent residency (domiciled) in MA, FL and the feds are fine with her buying a gun in FL if she is there temporarily for work since she is "making a home" in FL.

To the OP, you said above she changed her residency. Did she get a FL DL and register to vote in FL??

(Ignoring the tax angle),
it still sounds like a trade-off between
the hassle of applying for a new LTC,
and the joy of importing guns that are legal to possess in Mass,
but not legal to buy (and not even having to register their acquisition).

So is the latter a real benefit?

(Ignoring the tax angle),
it still sounds like a trade-off between
the hassle of applying for a new LTC,
and the joy of importing guns that are legal to possess in Mass,
but not legal to buy (and not even having to register their acquisition).

So is the latter a real benefit?
Since no law in FL prohibits a snow-bird from buying guns there, there was no need for someone staying there for a 1 year work contract to change everything. She still could have purchased anything she wanted in FL and returned with it (sans REAL post-ban AWs and post-ban mags).

It is all about tax angle, the 2A stuff is just extra cake.

There is no income tax here, ( or NH) so his wife is in the same position my wife is, although her company is based in MA, her post retirement gig will be working from "home" which this winter will be Florida, and then next spring she heads back to NH.

In our case it saves 6.25% which will help offset the self employment tax (what the employer FICA contribution would be we pay as self employed )

Back
Top Bottom