WHY???

TY43215

NES Member
I have seen many references in the last weeks about Midway and Cheaper than Dirt.

Here is my question:

You can not buy all items offered in the catalogs from these companies (and more companies) so Why do you advertise for them and why do you buy from them?

I WILL NOT buy from CTD and I buy from Midway only when they are the only source.

Not looking to flame these companies or anyone, just curious.

Maybe because members in other states are always looking for good deals.

If a MA memeber sees a good deal on CTD, I would hope he passes it along to us not trapped in commieville.

Maybe because members in other states are always looking for good deals.

If a MA memeber sees a good deal on CTD, I would hope he passes it along to us not trapped in commieville.

I buy anything I can from Midway, they get it to my door ASAP and I don't have to waste my time looking elsewhere. I will buy from locals more often than not though, when they have it in stock.

I can't blame Midway for this Fu*#ed up state and it's foolish laws so I will get what is available, always hoping that we can change this in the future.

As far as CTD is concerned, I haven't spent a nickel there. I might in the coming months though. If I need something that can be purchased by non Ma**h***s then I will call friends to have it shipped there.[wink]

I have seen many references in the last weeks about Midway and Cheaper than Dirt.

Here is my question:

You can not buy all items offered in the catalogs from these companies (and more companies) so Why do you advertise for them and why do you buy from them?

I WILL NOT buy from CTD and I buy from Midway only when they are the only source.

Not looking to flame these companies or anyone, just curious.

I can't "buy all items offered in the catalogs from these companies?" It sure seems like I can. And, I get outstanding customer service from Midway, and they sponsor outdoor/shooting shows on TV. Why wouldn't I buy from them?

Again, another member confuses "New England's Premier Shooting Forum" with "The Massachusetts Shooting Forum."

There are two ways to look at the "dealer won't ship certain products to MA" problem.

One is to boycott the dealer because they won't ship certain stuff to MA, this is screwing the dealer for a problem that was created by our MA state government. If you boycott the dealer and they do not see sales from MA residents that only reinforces their decision to not sell to MA - the benefit they get is not worth the cost.

Second is to continue to buy from the dealer - and let them know that they would see even more sales coming from MA if they would sell certain other products into the state. That gives them an incentive to do something about the laws and make their displeasure known to our esteemed politicians. At the same time you should use your power as a MA voter to let the politicians know that you don't appreciate getting screwed over.

I have no problem buying anything from Midway or any other company, ...

and I have NO issue with anyone posting good deals from ANY company on this NORTHEAST shooters website....

...I don't see it titled as being the MASSACHUSETTS Shooters website...... ......

For the most part- I'll buy from any company that provides good service. Our laws and regulations aren't their fault.

One is to boycott the dealer because they won't ship certain stuff to MA, this is screwing the dealer for a problem that was created by our MA state government. If you boycott the dealer and they do not see sales from MA residents that only reinforces their decision to not sell to MA - the benefit they get is not worth the cost.
I have some issues with CTD (and numerous other online retailers) refusing to ship items to MA that are perfectly legal to ship and possess here. There are some who will ship nothing to MA. I'm not talking ammo here; I would not expect ANY online retailer to take that risk. If Company "A" can sell and ship me a single-edged hunting knife or an M1 op rod, there is no reason why Company "B" should not do the same unless my dollar is not good enough for them. If they have a grudge against the draconian rules of a state agency, why take it out on their customers? If some of these large online retailers would band together maybe we could make some of these absurd restrictions a thing of the past. Until that happens, they are not on my side and I will shop from them only as a last resort.

It may be just business on their part but it is a matter of principle on mine. Should our restrictions ever be relaxed, I will remember what companies tried to do the right thing and what companies left us in the cold.

I've been a customer of MidwayUSA for many years. I sent my C&R to them and saved mucho $$$. Their return policy is the best, ship it back and within 48 hours your refund is on it's way to you.

CTD on the other hand is not so "cheap" I only buy from them when I cannot find the exact item I want elsewhere.

I think sometimes people get PO'd because the get through to "place order" and are then advised that their order can't be processed because they live behind the iron curtain, and then they take it out on the company. Seems silly to me.

Now, if there WERE a supplier comparable to Midway that would ship ammo and components to MA, I would use them over Midway. But since there is not, I don't get all fuss.

WRT CTD: just never had a reason to order from them. As noted they are often not CTD as thier name suggests...

All that said, I will buy local when I can (even if that means Dick's or Walmart as second choices) so as to maintain the local firearms business.

Last edited:
I use midway, for the dealers discount. One company I refuse to buy from is The Sportsman Guide, this company has an obvious lack of knowledge about our laws and utterly refuse to educate themselves properly. On more than one occasion I have had an operator for this company tell me I was wrong and that certain items I wanted to buy (IE: laser sights, cleaning kits, stocks, grips) were illegal for me to possess or have shipped. When I asked them to quote the law I would be breaking TSG actually threatened to report me to the AG if I persisted in trying to buy illegal items. I told them to feel free to report me and asked if they wanted both my work and home contact info to pass along, I then informed them I would not be doing business with them ever again. Surprisingly they still mail me a catalog, I have considered complaining to get it stopped but figured let em' waste their money on postage instead. It would have to be an extremely sweet deal for me to buy from CTD for roughly the same point, their shipping restriction have no rhyme or reason, 99% of the items they refuse to ship us are not even vaguely restricted. I can almost understand the Ammo and magazines theory as state law requires a permit for them. But short of that I thing they're a bunch of pussies who are afraid of the Gestapo AKA the MA AG.
Also with regard to people in free America still buying from these companies, shame on you. We as shooters should be sending them a message that we stick together. On the other hand don't worry about it misery loves company and I will welcome you with open arms to the fold once the liberal moonbat cancer spreads north.

If it is about shipping to MA, any NES Green Member that I know is welcome to use my address for shipping, plus arrange a way to pick it up (either in Manchester area or Hudson, MA if a non-resident can bring it into MA without a LTC).

I too have been frustrated with Midways policy regarding MA and I am sure it has cost them a lot of money in lost sales. But how can you blame them for not wanting to deal with the crazy MA laws and the perceived threats to their business? They are in the business to make money and I for one, am grateful that there is a place that will at least sell some of the items I am interested in at a fair price. If you must have some of the forbidden items the MA gooberment would prefer you not have, make a friend in NH and have him or her receive it for you.

Again, another member confuses "New England's Premier Shooting Forum" with "The Massachusetts Shooting Forum."

Actually no confusion at all. The members I see posting are Ma members. I was just asking a question. No need to be a Jerk about it [wink]

Believe it or not, I have no trouble buying anything I need and having it delivered to my door from other suppliers. These two seem to have been mentioned a lot lately so I decided to ask.

The answers regarding Midway are very good and I appreciate those that tool the time to give thoughtful answers to an honest question

Last edited:
Actually no confusion at all. The members I see posting are Ma members. I was just asking a question. No need to be a Jerk about it [wink]

Believe it or not, I have no trouble buying anything I need and having it delivered to my door from other suppliers. These two seem to have been mentioned a lot lately so I decided to ask.

The answers regarding Midway are very good and I appreciate those that tool the time to give thoughtful answers to an honest question

Re-read your post, Gary.[wink]

Here's what you asked:

Here is my question:

I can't? I think I can. Maybe you can show me the word "Massachusetts" in there somewhere. If you can, I'll buy the ammo for your next match.

Re-read your post, Gary.[wink]

Here's what you asked:

I can't? I think I can. Maybe you can show me the word "Massachusetts" in there somewhere. If you can, I'll buy the ammo for your next match.

It was a mistake, he read your "live free or die", and thought it said live here and die, not a biggie! [wink]

I can't really expect a dealer in another state to willingly put THEIR cash on the line if they should be sued by the Mass .gov. It is THEIR business, not mine, to run in they manner they believe will be most profitable for them. That is kinda the point of being in business.

For us, it is hobby, sport, addiction, work, etc.

For them, it is profit margin. There is no profit in being a martyr. Prophet, maybe...

Most here seem not to be aware:

- Sportsman's Guide,
- Midway,
- Ammoman,
- and a bunch of other companies

Were all caught in a "sting operation" by the former AG's people,

They were issued a CEASE AND DESIST ORDER and WERE SUED by the AG, with threats of huge fines,

They were offered a "plea bargain" of signing a CONSENT DECREE (never to ship certain, unknown to us, products into MA) and paying some (relatively) small fine.

NONE of us know what is in those individual "consent decrees" . . . they may all read the same or they may be "customized" and different from each other. I asked the owner of Ammoman what exactly he had agreed to not do here and he refused to talk about it.

Many other companies "heard the rumors" and their legal beagles thus "interpreted" what they should NOT do wrt shipping product to MA.

Therefore we have a hodge-podge of what these various vendors will ship to MA vs. what they won't ship to MA.

So, IMNSHO, without further info that is being kept secret from us, we aren't in a real good position to determine if each company is just doing what they agreed to (and are thus bound legally by contract law) or going overboard and being ridiculous.

This may sound stupid but ... besides ammunition and large capacity magazines, what else will the vendors NOT ship to Massachusetts?

One person here reported that one vendor refused to ship an empty Glock (marked) plastic pistol case due to it having the name of a gun mfr on it.

I have seen fixed wooden stocks for some old military rifles listed as not salable to MA.

C&R pistols to C&R FFLs.

ALL semi-auto rifles (even to 01 FFLs).

Bore-sighters.

etc. ad nauseum

I've seen some (but not all) sights marked "No MA sales". The same goes for all sorts of parts (e.g., safeties, stocks, spring kits, cases), with absolutely no rhyme or reason. Either the people from the AG's office who drafted the orders were on serious drugs at the time, or the people who made up the catalogs were. Of course, it could have been both.

Ken

So, IMNSHO, without further info that is being kept secret from us, we aren't in a real good position to determine if each company is just doing what they agreed to (and are thus bound legally by contract law) or going overboard and being ridiculous.

Not to [horse] but, is that the sort of information that could be obtained from the AG using FOIA? (asking, I have no idea)

It seems that it was 'legal' action taken on 'our' behalf. They ought to be on the hook to tell us.

Not to [horse] but, is that the sort of information that could be obtained from the AG using FOIA? (asking, I have no idea)

It seems that it was 'legal' action taken on 'our' behalf. They ought to be on the hook to tell us.

I honestly don't know. I do know that GOAL (under FOIA) paid a bundle to get info on the AG Regs . . . IIRC, they are pretty sure that not everything they asked for was released to them. And the way the AG's office billed them for it was "questionable" at best (read: very expensive for what they got).

I have ordered from CTD and Midway - mostly from Midway...I have been happy with the products and fast delivery.

Have to 2nd that. Have ordered mucho from Midway. No complaints, no problems, and all has been shipped almost immediately. They do it right.

Midway has great customer service, good prices, and just about everything I need from a single source. Good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom