• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why would you convert a Garand to mag fed?

I have spent some time over the last few days reading up on converting a Garand to mag feed.

It appears that there are a number of people out there who do these conversions - they typically use M14 mags and the Garand gets a new barrel to shoot .308.

I guess I just don't get it. Why bother? Why not just buy an M1A or an M14 of some form or another?

Am I missing something here?

The only reasons I can possibly come up with to do the conversion are:

- Just because
- building a mag fed .308 out of a Garand might be cheaper than getting an M1A/M14
- if the conversion is done without machining the receiver you could potentially go back and forth between mag fed
and en-bloc clip fed.

Now - if the Garand was converted to mag fed 30.06 - that is a different story IMHO. Now you have a mag fed battle rifle that you can take advantage of all that cheap HXP Greek ammo the CMP has been selling - and you have a high power cartridge with all sorts of different loads available - including AP - which is unavailable (legally) in .308 to civilians. A mag fed 30.06 Garand would make a nice SHTF rifle if you ask me.

I have not seen anybody doing mag fed 30.06 conversions though.

Some of it is because more Garands are available on the cheap. I agree it doesn't make any sense unless it was .30-06 though.

-Mike

Maybe you want a BM-59 clone without paying for a BM-59?

I suppose that could be a reason: to create a replica BM59 - but once you use M14 mags instead of the BM59 mags (which go for something like $75.00 apiece) - what you have really created is just another bastard child half BM59/ half M14.

It's like anything else in the world of firearms: "It can be done, I've got the $, and I want one".

I don't want one, or see the need for it, but then again I don't see the need for a semi-auto Tommy gun, verticle foregrips on AR's, or any form of bull-pup rifle.

I suppose that could be a reason: to create a replica BM59 - but once you use M14 mags instead of the BM59 mags (which go for something like $75.00 apiece) - what you have really created is just another bastard child half BM59/ half M14.

I think that's the only reason why you'd do it - to avoid the expensive magazines.

I remember hearing about the Navy experimenting with converting Garands to magazine fed 308s in the 1960's.... I think it was done to experiment with keeping the M1 in service. It never actually took off though.

The Navy did convert Garands to shoot .308 (actually 7.62x51) around the time the 7.62x51 became a NATO standard caliber.

Their initial experiment used a spacer in the chamber to adapt the rifle. This did not work very well because the spacer kept coming out. I have never heard anything about the Navy converting Garands to mag fed.

It is pretty common nowadays to find Garands converted to shoot .308 - just have to change the barrel. I have a Fulton Armory Garand chambered in .308...

Back
Top Bottom