• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why won't gun owners compromise?

StevieP

NES Member
Seeking the meme or text of all the compromises we've already "compromised" on, from 1934 to now, to help in a discussion about why we're not particularly interested in losing more of our rights. I've seen a good list recently but can't seem to find it.

This death by a thousand cuts is terrible, and must be curtailed.

ATF Ruling 41F (2016)
  • People who file for an NFA item with a trust must get the following for all responsible persons on the trust: fingerprints, background checks, photos, and a ATF Form 5320.23 must be submitted to local law enforcement (CLEO notification)
Gun Free School Act (1995)
  • Made schools victim disarmament zones.
Federal Assault Weapon Ban (1994) - expired
  • prohibited the manufacture, sale transfer, or possession of "semiautomatic assault weapons" as defined by the Act
Brady Act (1993)
  • required all FFL sales to go through background checks

• established NICS

• updated prohibited persons definition again
"Sporting Purposes" ban (1989)
  • import ban on firearms deemed to have no "legitimate sporting use."

FOPA (GCA of 1986)

• Ban on post-86 MGs (aka Hughes Amendment)

• centralized storage for out-of-business records

• updated prohibited persons definition
GCA of 1968
  • Created FFL system

• created prohibited persons definition

• Banned purchase of handguns out of state

• Banned interstate private purchases

• Ban on mail-order guns

• created "sporting purposes" test

• Banned sale of long guns/ammo to anyone under 18 and handguns/ammo to anyone under 21

• serial number requirement on all newly manufactured firearms
Federal Firearms Act of 1938 - Replaced by GCA of 1968
  • Created FFL system

• Created prohibited persons definition
National Firearms Act of 1934
  • Created definitions for Title II firearms (Machine guns, SBR/SBS, suppressors, DDs, AOWs)

• $200 tax on the manufacture and transfer of Title II firearms

• $5 tax on the manufacture and transfer of AOWs

• Mandatory registration of Title II firearms

• Mandatory of all reporting of permanent transportation of Title II firearms across state lines
I'm sure I'm missing some, not to mention the hundreds of different state laws gun owners have had to deal with. None of these are compromises, they are all a direct result of conservative law makers not having a spine to fight for what is right. Self preservation is all they care about.

Sure. Let's compromise. I'll let you ban some guns. You agree to ban Twitter. It's a win-win for everyone. ;)

"You can't ban Twitter! That's in the Constitution."

"So's guns, ya old hag!"

Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

Yeap. They're playing the incremental long-term game. The next FL incident will be met with calls for increasing the 3 day waiting period to 2 weeks and then 2 months.

There is no point short of banning private ownership of guns that will satisfy them. They'll just keep moving the goalposts until they get there, which is why a "compromise" is unworkable.

Yeap. They're playing the incremental long-term game. The next FL incident will be met with calls for increasing the 3 day waiting period to 2 weeks and then 2 months.

There is no point short of banning private ownership of guns that will satisfy them. They'll just keep moving the goalposts until they get there, which is why a "compromise" is unworkable.

Highly agreed. Has been unworkable for a very long time. Thus, the situation we have now.
Compromise will only provide further horrible results.

As someone once wrote when it comes to compromising with the gun control crowd "compromise is failure on the installment plan" and as I've said before "those who continue to compromise will continue to be compromised"

Imagine the braying and crying if people had to fill out a 4473 and pass a NICS check to vote...

-Mike

11e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

"Dude...I can't vote today? Totally a bummer..."

How about some real compromise. The enemy can start by putting national shall issue with reciprocity on the table and then we can start talking deal.

That's already letting them win by ignoring the 14th amendment incorporating the 2nd amendment to apply to the states. Compromise would be not prosecuting state officials for conspiracy to deny civil rights if they agreed to knock it off and never do it again.

We've given up far too much already. We need to elect people that'll go balls to the wall to turn the tide. There should be no reason that I cannot to to the LGS and buy an M4.

DoJ classifying bump stocks as MGs today. Details pending. Absolutely stupid nothing negotiated in return and not legislatively. Sets horrible precedent.

Why can't we just use revolvers? Isn't 6 shots enough for anybody? A good shot should be able to use a musket! An even better shot should be able to use just blanks-that's enough to scare away any misguided felon (not a fair title because he probably had a tough childhood-he really just needs another chance, geesh!). Finally, if you have to shoot him with your Red Ryder assault rifle, aim to nick him in the leg. You don't need to hurt him just because he's hopped on meth and running at you with a knife, or shooting at you, in pursuit of your property or your flesh! Have a heart, guys!

Why can't we just use revolvers? Isn't 6 shots enough for anybody? A good shot should be able to use a musket! An even better shot should be able to use just blanks-that's enough to scare away any misguided felon (not a fair title because he probably had a tough childhood-he really just needs another chance, geesh!). Finally, if you have to shoot him with your Red Ryder assault rifle, aim to nick him in the leg. You don't need to hurt him just because he's hopped on meth and running at you with a knife, or shooting at you, in pursuit of your property or your flesh! Have a heart, guys!

You joke, but those are literal arguments used by some of the stupider antis.

Not so much a meme but I usually ask a simple question when someone is in support of some type of gun control. That question is "Then would you like me to have a few of these printed up for your doors and windows so others may know your stance as to not inadvertently offend you?" :

gun control.jpg

Oddly, everyone so far has said no thank you. Funny that.

Back
Top Bottom