• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why We Need to Welcome Liberals to the Cause of the Second Amendment

Interesting article.

http://www.cmosnetworks.com/WhyWeNeedToWelcomeLiberals.html

[h=3]Why We Need to Welcome Liberals to the Cause of the Second Amendment
And the Consequences If We Don't
A Liberal's Perspective[/h]by C. Terrell Prudé, Jr.
August 28, 2010
Updated March 14, 2012

SmithAndWessonRevolver-Model625.jpg
CoolPeaceAndLoveSign.jpg
In June of 2008, I had what I consider to be an epiphany regarding the Second Amendment to our Constitution. It was at that point that I understood, in full, what the Founding Fathers meant when they included it into the Bill of Rights. From then on, my views regarding firearms changed pretty drastically, and now I am a proud firearms enthusiast. But if you'd told me five years ago that this would happen, I'd have thought you were smoking something illegal.
See, I'm a social liberal born and raised in San Francisco, California. I have pretty much all the open-mindedness that you'd expect from just about any other San Franciscan. That makes me a firearms enthusiast somewhat unlike many others in the pro-Second Amendment community. Being very much a liberal, my political beliefs are very different in many respects from many other firearms enthusiasts. I'm not a Christian and have no desire to ever be again. Gay marriage, no problem. Muslim? Fine by me, if that's your thing. Confederate worshipper? OK, personally I think you're nuts, but it's your right, so go for it.
None of that is relevant to the rights guaranteed to us under the Second Amendment!

We have the great fortune to live in what is still a free country today. That means we have the right not to agree with each other. This is America, and we get to do that here. However, one area in which we all really should be in agreement is that the Second Amendment is why we have the right to those other differences of position. It's what actually gives teeth to the rest of the Constitution. Absent of the right to keep and bear arms, the Constitution would be just another sheet of paper.
Fortunately, that isn't the case. The Founding Fathers made sure it wouldn't be.

However, we have another problem. This is a problem of numbers. I think--I hope--we all agree that many officials in high office would love to eviscerate those rights. Being from California, I know a lot of people who have voted for these folks again and again, without much of a thought either for or against the Second Amendment. Witness Dianne Feinstein's far-too-long political career. Also note that while she wants to deny those rights to us, she is herself on record as having gotten a concealed weapons permit in San Francisco! Yes, Dianne Feinstein--Mrs. Epitome-Of-Anti-Gunner--has herself legally carried a concealed gun and presumably still does today. We know that Chuck Schumer does, too. Quite a few anti-gunner politicians own and/or carry guns, or like Messrs. Bloomberg and Daley, they have a cadre of armed bodyguards.

So how is it that such hypocrites keep getting re-elected to high office? How do they get all these people to mark their ballots for them? And more, how do these hypocrites convince these voters that guns are just soooo evil?

Simple: they point at us as a group and call us "right-wing extremists."

Sadly, in many cases, it seems that they have some ammunition, and from a non-social-conservative, non-Republican point of view, it's pretty good ammunition. My Dad and I talk about this on a regular basis. The ammunition is well known: Christian fundamentalist, intolerant, bigoted, Confederacy-worshipping, redneck wing-nuts. And there's some truth to it.

Over the last couple of years, I've been to quite a few gun shows. Now, I'm no more a fan of President Obama than I suspect many other firearms enthusiasts are, for quite a few reasons. However, it's probably not a good thing that I'm seeing targets with his head as the bullseye. Nor is it good for us as a pro-freedom movement when I'm manning a pro-gun advocacy booth and hear people referring to President Obama as "Sambo" and "Head ****** In Charge."

A poignant example of this harmful attitude was provided to us by former US Rep. Virgil Goode of Virginia, upon the election of Rep. Keith Ellison. Rep. Ellison, a native of Detroit, MI who converted to Islam as an adult, chose to use the Koran--specifically, President Thomas Jefferson's Koran--at his swearing-in ceremony. Rep. Goode, a staunch pro-Second Amendment activist, had this to say about that event:
"When I raise my hand to take the oath on Swearing In Day, I will have the Bible in my other hand. I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."
Oh. My. Goodness.

This kind of thing turns off a major constituency that we need in order to get more voters on board with the Second Amendment. That constituency is other liberals. We need other liberals on our side. Without them, I fear that ultimately we will lose. Right now the typical liberal is not on our side, and when I say "our", I don't mean "conservatives" or "Christians" or "Southerners" or anything else other than those who are pro-Second Amendment.

I'm referring to pro-2A liberals like my Dad, a black man. He is firmly on the side of the Second Amendment. For two decades, he tried to get me to understand the need for the right to carry. He urged me for a long time to get "a permit to carry," as he calls it. And he encourages others to do so.

He also despises the NRA or anything that smacks of it.

Dichotomy? Not from his vantage point. He's had to use his gun on several occasions to protect himself from racists--typically pro-Confederacy types--who wanted to kill him for merely existing. He's been witness to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s head as the bullseye on targets. And then I, his son, see the same thing happening again with President Obama's likeness. I hear him being called terrible, racist names that I never heard Bill Clinton get called. In both cases, the people doing this are, yep, you guessed it, usually sporting NRA stickers and patches on their cars, pickup trucks and/or jackets.

My Mom, a white woman and fellow California liberal, isn't too hot on the Democrats anymore, either. She's disgusted by Dianne Feinstein and has been for years. I took Mom to the range a couple of times, and she found that she enjoyed it! But she, too, sees us as "wingnuts" and wouldn't want to be anywhere near a gun show or an NRA function.

That is what's got to change.

We--myself, my parents, and many others like us--are the liberals that our movement needs. We need to stop driving us away. So how do we do this? How do we get other liberals, like my parents, more proactively on our side?

My Mom is a relationship counselor. She has helped a whole lot of couples who were on the brink of divorce achieve reconciliation and end up happily together once again. She's a very wise woman and knows a whole lot about communication. She gave me some advice years ago, which was the following:
"If you want to move someone over to your way of thinking, you can be one step away from them, and you can get 'em to come along with you. But if you're two steps away, you will generally lose them."​
She also stressed the importance of "speaking their language." Right now, we generally don't speak the language of liberals very well. As a movement, we need to start doing that better.

Here's what I propose.

1. We can stop referring to President Obama by those hateful names. That right there will be a big help.
  2. Engage with liberals in a relaxed, friendly manner. Remember, this is about the Second Amendment, which actually is a non-partisan issue. It's a bedrock principle of our legal system and our very nation. Discuss it as such, free of Democrat/Republican junk.
  3. If you have children who shoot, be proud of them! If one of your kids got a blue ribbon for marksmanship (e. g. the Boy Scouts), brag on the kid. "How was your weekend?" "Pretty good, actually, my son got a blue ribbon for marksmanship at the local competition! I'm so proud of that kid!" Who dares say "ewwww!" to any parent so proud of his or her child's success? If the kid does it again in next month's competition, brag on the kid again. That's your kid, after all!
  4. If you get into a "debate" with an anti-gunner, then do what I do. Tell that person my Dad's story. It goes like this.
He was walking from his hotel room to his car one day, minding his own business. Three racists with knives came up to him, saying "we're gonna cut ourselves up a ******, boys!" Yeah...right up until my Dad produced the .38 Special snubbie that he was legally carrying concealed, and said, "I don't think so, fellas." They quickly changed their minds and left. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Now consider that I was 11 years old and nearly lost my father that day. I then calmly and slowly, contemplatively, ask the anti-gunner this question: "if my Dad had not had his gun that day, do you believe he would've survived the encounter, and if your answer is yes, then in what condition do you believe those racists with their knives would've been likely to leave him?" And then just wait for the anti-gunner to answer.

Liberals are likely to be present when such a conversation goes down. They always have when I've been faced with it. Often, some of them eventually come up to me and ask me questions. They ask me if I own a gun. I tell 'em all excitedly, "Oh, sure! I'm at the range all the time! It's so much fun! It's just like modern-day William Tell, you know, hit the bullseye, but way safer than what he had to do!" Since I know their concerns about firearms and safety ("guns bad! guns bad!"), I know which "button-push" issues I need to smooth over.

In all of this, I don't get upset or even irritated with them. I don't act rudely and cut them off; I let them finish their sentences, though I demand (and get) the same respect in return. And I certainly don't criticize them for their liberal beliefs. I'm too busy having fun educating them! And since I'm speaking their language, they'll listen to me. This is key. We've got to start speaking their language, and I mean more than just "women can fend off their rapists if they have a gun!" That's important, but it's not enough. Every black person in this country, for historical reasons, really should be pro-gun like my Dad is. But as we know, far too many are not, for reasons I've already outlined. We've got to attract these folks to our movement. We've got to seek them out and speak their language.

Remember, you are an ambassador, and other political differences are irrelevant when we're talking about the Second Amendment. Use diplomacy. Stay on the specific topic of the 2A, no matter how tempted you might be to start talking about abortion, "God", the national debt, or whatever else. Resist that temptation, and stay calm. Just keep reminding yourself of that as you're talking with these folks. Make it a mantra if you have to. We call this "sales and marketing", and yes, it matters. Make use of it!

If we can do more of this, then perhaps the liberals we talk to might look at the hypocrisy of the anti-gunner diatribe and re-think their previous positions. They probably will see us as a whole as less "wing-nut". And perhaps some of them, like me, might even re-consider voting for the Bill Clintons, Dianne Feinsteins, and Chuck Schumers of this world.

I am a liberal. And as you now know, I have a gun, and I'm not about to give it up! There are a lot of others like me. We need them...on our side.

Won't matter, as long as the moonbats keep voting for the false idols, nothing will change. Liberal gun owners frequently throw their own rights under the bus because "there are bigger issues than guns". [thinking] Most so called conservatives do the same effing thing, so let's not jump to the conclusion that they are innocent, either, the only real difference is as a whole conservatives are slightly less agressive about it, but that's like comparing two types of cancer, in the end it's still ****ing cancer.

The real challenge is getting people from whatever they are to being a gun owner, and then on top of that, getting them to actually give a shit about their rights. Getting people to that second point is incredibly difficult, regardless of their political background. This is because most people are blind to the reality on the ground when it comes to how badly they're getting boned by bad laws.

-Mike

[laugh] I am laughing because that person is describing a "libertarian" not a "liberal." This is the problem with labels.

This is good stuff though:
C. Terrell Prudé said:
Gay marriage, no problem. Muslim? Fine by me, if that's your thing. Confederate worshipper? OK, personally I think you're nuts, but it's your right, so go for it.
However, one area in which we all really should be in agreement is that the Second Amendment is why we have the right to those other differences of position. It's what actually gives teeth to the rest of the Constitution. Absent of the right to keep and bear arms, the Constitution would be just another sheet of paper.
Fortunately, that isn't the case. The Founding Fathers made sure it wouldn't be.
Sadly, on the bold part, we have gun owners here who disavow this aspect of 2A. It should be obvious, but it seems it is too impolite for them?

C. Terrell is soon enough (if not already since 2010 when this was written) going to realize that "liberal" and "libertarian" are very different as practiced by the Democratic Party. They are not "live and let live," they are "live my way" every bit as the Republicrats, if not much, much more.

As much as "we" need to realize the RNC does not represent, and in fact is directly opposed to, our views, there are plenty of Democrats who need to do the same in their party.

Last edited:
OP please edit to add this to you post

Copyright (C) 2010, 2012 by C. Terrell Prudé, Jr.
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium without royalty provided this notice is preserved.

I want to attract the greenies by suggesting to them that suppressors should be included with all firearms sold - it's better for the environment - less 'noise pollution'... I think it has legs...
Of course the risk is they will require them, but given the prevalence of hearing damage and noise complaints, I'd like to see some movement on this as well... In volume, cans and integrated suppressors could be quite cheap.

The important thing is recognizing that it should be a choice and there are tradeoffs so they cannot be required, only available as an option.

Good article IMO. I am contrary and similar to the author. I am a fiscal conservative....more of a fiscal RESPONSIBLE conservative.....but left of center on socail issues and obviously a 2A supporter. I believe in gay rights, freedom of religion, separation of church and state and the right to bear arms for teh simple reason that our constitution grants those freedoms to all Americans......but the spending spree of the liberal left has to stop. Yeah........it's tough to find someone to vote for on election day with my views!

Good article IMO. I am contrary and similar to the author. I am a fiscal conservative....more of a fiscal RESPONSIBLE conservative.....but left of center on socail issues and obviously a 2A supporter. I believe in gay rights, freedom of religion, separation of church and state and the right to bear arms for teh simple reason that our constitution grants those freedoms to all Americans......but the spending spree of the liberal left has to stop. Yeah........it's tough to find someone to vote for on election day with my views!
OUCH! See bold and adjust your fire! Constitution does not grant rights, it limits government power to infringe on rights that exist because you exist (endowed by your creator, whether you think that is "God", or the flying spaghetti monster or even $random())). [wink]

OUCH! See bold and adjust your fire! Constitution does not grant rights, it limits government power to infringe on rights that exist because you exist (endowed by your creator, whether you think that is "God", or the flying spaghetti monster or even $random())). [wink]

Wow you guys like to dig deep! [smile] I think my point was made though.

Wow you guys like to dig deep! [smile] I think my point was made though.
Yep, it is tough though because the old "if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth" even applies to "misconceptions" like "Granted Rights."

The subjects of a monarch might have to settle for rights granted them by a King, but we are free from that tyranny here.

I am sure anyone who has read my posts know I believe the principle problem of government is not left, right, religious or secular, but the sheer size of government and its reach into each of our daily lives. There is no room left to agree to disagree or live and let live. We have to "compromise" on exactly one way of life and world view which leaves us at eachother's throats because WE WILL NEVER agree enough to have such a profound monoculture.

It's a great article. 2A does not need to be a left/right issue. Like 1A, it's something everyone can agree on if it's articulated.

The Right Wing has been successful in co-opting 2A in the past for its own benefit to get votes. In the same way the pimp out gay marriage, abortion, etc., and other hot button issues, they are very skilled in getting people to vote against their own economic interests.

I'm sure these kind of radical sentiments expressed in this article are enough to make many of the strap-hangers on here heads explode--but you need to realize that your self-gratifying antagonistic attitudes are harmful to 2A rights in this state. Fact.

There's a political party for people like you (and me.) An odd group that believes in weird things like Freedom and Liberty.

http://www.lp.org/

[laugh] I am laughing because that person is describing a "libertarian" not a "liberal." This is the problem with labels.

This is good stuff though:

Sadly, on the bold part, we have gun owners here who disavow this aspect of 2A. It should be obvious, but it seems it is too impolite for them?

C. Terrell is soon enough (if not already since 2010 when this was written) going to realize that "liberal" and "libertarian" are very different as practiced by the Democratic Party. They are not "live and let live," they are "live my way" every bit as the Republicrats, if not much, much more.

As much as "we" need to realize the RNC does not represent, and in fact is directly opposed to, our views, there are plenty of Democrats who need to do the same in their party.

I was about to mention the libertarian part too. This guy didn't sound like any liberal I have talked to.

I'm definitely on board with this. I'm very liberal and also pro-gun. Drives me nuts that I can't divorce the two. I won't join a range that requires NRA membership for the reason that the NRA refuses to divorce "conservative christian values" from gun ownership. I have 0 interest in funding pro-life, christian movements with the money that is supposed to be fighting for my 2nd amendment rights.

I'm definitely on board with this. I'm very liberal and also pro-gun. Drives me nuts that I can't divorce the two. I won't join a range that requires NRA membership for the reason that the NRA refuses to divorce "conservative christian values" from gun ownership. I have 0 interest in funding pro-life, christian movements with the money that is supposed to be fighting for my 2nd amendment rights.

THIS! The fact that when I first commented on a political thread here, and had my head shoved in the toilet for being "anti-gun" is something that's inexcusable to me.

Stop excluding smart members of society from your cause because their idea of a fiscal utopia is different from yours.

THIS! The fact that when I first commented on a political thread here, and had my head shoved in the toilet for being "anti-gun" is something that's inexcusable to me.

Stop excluding smart members of society from your cause because their idea of a fiscal utopia is different from yours.

Unfortunately, the leaders of your movement are 99.9% of the time RABIDLY anti-gun, and the other .1 are too scared to tell anyone that they are pro-2a. There's simply no contesting that. Their reasoning was the same as every other totalitarian regime in times past, control. They probably don't hate guns, hell most of them have probably never seen one outside of a television screen, but they do know the threat they pose to a centralized government. Don't think for two seconds that people who's early college years were dominated by marxist literature, are suddenly all for the people's ability to overthrow a tyrant with a protected right. They simply aren't. Now individual liberals supporting the right to bear arms, sure there are plenty, such as yourself. You are however the thin minority in a largely anti-gun dominated party. If Hillary didn't think it was political suicide, she'd order confiscation the day she takes the oval office in 2016 (yes, she will, not a question in my mind).

Now here's the inherit problem. Liberals as a whole believe that their party(s) are the champions of freedom, the constitution, speech, the protestor, life, blah blah blah. They've been responsible for the loss of more freedom in the past 4 years than Bush in 8 AND Reagan (yes Reaganites, he was a statist). Your party is far from high and mighty in the fight for freedom. Again, Marxism coming into play. Your form of liberalism is hardly that of Barack. His, as far as I'm concerned, is not liberalism, I personally think he's just wearing the disguise of the such. Just as the Tea Party was hijacked by christian right from the Libertarians and Paul supporters, your party has been hijacked by borderline communists, certainly socialists, and champions of Marx from regular liberals such as yourself. The wool is pulled over your eyes man. Liberals and guns...concept that is D.O.A. unfortunately, you seem like a nice enough person. I just think they have you fooled, just as the GOP has quite a few people on this very forum fooled into thinking that they want smaller government and less control. It's all a huge B.S. sandwich man.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying. But don't blind yourself either. My group of friends (mostly liberal) has warmed to the idea of firearms over the last few years.

Both my mother and father (gun owners and registered republican voters) voted for Obama this past election.

I look at it from the standpoint that what we have now (federally) isn't that unsound to me. (Maybe the $200 tax on suppressors...thats lame). If you are a PP, I have no sympathy for you. YOU commuted a crime, and that aspect of the consequences wasn't drummed up just for you. It's on the books, you knew (or should have known) it was there.

Would a new AWB suck? Probably, but it won't happen. So I'm not going to get all worked up about it. To me, keeping us where we are at, is fine, I don't see us taking steps toward allowing all non jailed citizens to own ad carry guns because in all honesty, I don't want to have to defend myself from a crazy guy ex criminal with a gun.

I can absolutely unite side by side with liberals on gun rights if they are willing to stand without fear against their brethren just as I do when I go against many Republican friends on certain issues . If we can't start attacking each issue as a single issue, then the two parties are going to continue tearing this country apart. I am tired of the left telling gays they have to buy their whole platform of welfare and gun control just as much as the right telling gun owners you have to buy their platform of war and Christian values.

I can absolutely unite side by side with liberals on gun rights if they are willing to stand without fear against their brethren just as I do when I go against many Republican friends on certain issues . If we can't start attacking each issue as a single issue, then the two parties are going to continue tearing this country apart. I am tired of the left telling gays they have to buy their whole platform of welfare and gun control just as much as the right telling gun owners you have to buy their platform of war and Christian values.

Www.lp.org Welcome to the party, you'll fit right in with us.

"Send it" like chinalfr from my can attached to a string from another can in the lair of the dark lord kramdar.

"Progressives" will never embrace 2A because they don`t believe it`s an "individual" right/freedom. They believe in big govt., not individual freedoms unless you`re stumping for one of their core values. See the Michigan?Wisconsin Union demonstrators to illustrate my point.

I get what you are saying. But don't blind yourself either. My group of friends (mostly liberal) has warmed to the idea of firearms over the last few years.

Both my mother and father (gun owners and registered republican voters) voted for Obama this past election.

I look at it from the standpoint that what we have now (federally) isn't that unsound to me. (Maybe the $200 tax on suppressors...thats lame). If you are a PP, I have no sympathy for you. YOU commuted a crime, and that aspect of the consequences wasn't drummed up just for you. It's on the books, you knew (or should have known) it was there.

Would a new AWB suck? Probably, but it won't happen. So I'm not going to get all worked up about it. To me, keeping us where we are at, is fine, I don't see us taking steps toward allowing all non jailed citizens to own ad carry guns because in all honesty, I don't want to have to defend myself from a crazy guy ex criminal with a gun.

And I don't want to have to defend myself against a crazy government without one.

You can't have your cake and eat it too - at some point, if we allow lines to be drawn that abridge rights for free citizens, someone has to decide where those lines are. That leaves infinite abuses available as we've seen. If you're such a danger to society that your very life isn't worth defending, then you should still be in jail/institution or in a pine box behind the courthouse. There's a clear and obvious slippery slope here when it comes to prohibited persons. We have been sliding down it since "No Guns For Negros."

How about the vet who comes home, needs a little counseling, and is now a PP because they sought it out? Forget keeping a shottie by the bed to protect the family you just carried a rifle for while surrounded by 30,000 terrorists that wanted to kill you.

How about the slightly autistic individual who needs a little medicine to function at a high enough level to maintain their own dwelling, job, etc? Not a chance you can carry a gun even though you work in a bad part of town.

What if a rape victim has so much trouble reconciling the tragic event that she seeks a psychiatrist, gets help, and gets better? Sorry, no .38 on the night stand to protect you from a repeat.

Sold a big bag of weed in the 70's and did five years for it? Screw you, your life's not worth protecting anymore because of that.

Think about it from the default of too much freedom being better than there ever being a circumstance where there's not enough.

Back
Top Bottom