• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why the AR-15 Sucks for Preppers

Surely you must be joking.
I had a G22. Awful to shoot IMO. Hated it.
I'd rather a 357 revolver. Of a 44mag.
Too snappy. Never shot another manufacturers 40 tho.

Actually I like .40, always have and prefer it over .380 Long (9mm). [devil] Have a G23C that is a good shooter- the ports take out some of the snap. I did take a G35 and converted it to 9mm with a Storm Lake conversion barrel. It's like having a bull barrel and drives tacks.

Of course .40 Long = 10mm, even better!

Only reason for writing this article would be to get clicks. He succeeded.

Not really- I rarely click on those things and didn't this time. I catch the gist of the article from the NES comments. I'm sure there are others here for the fun w/o sending their pop-up blockers into processor frying overtime.

Actually I like .40, always have and prefer it over .380 Long (9mm). [devil] Have a G23C that is a good shooter- the ports take out some of the snap. I did take a G35 and converted it to 9mm with a Storm Lake conversion barrel. It's like having a bull barrel and drives tacks.

Of course .40 Long = 10mm, even better!

Not really- I rarely click on those things and didn't this time. I catch the gist of the article from the NES comments. I'm sure there are others here for the fun w/o sending their pop-up blockers into processor frying overtime.

I like .40 and .40 long, too. I have a G19 Gen4 that has been sitting NIB for 2.5 years. [laugh] I shoot pins with my Smith 9mm 5906TSW, though.

Tell me where I'm wrong. I'm not an AR-15 aficionado.

The bolt is locked when the gas enters the chamber. The gas pushes directly on the bolt carrier sending it rearward. The rearward motion of the bolt carrier unlocks the bolt. It isn't the force of the piston pushing on anything...because it's locked. It's the motion of the bolt carrier which is caused by the direct impingement of gas on it that unlocks the bolt and pulls it to the rear. Whether or not to call this DI is just a bunch of semantic hair-splitting over whether impinging directly on the bolt carrier group is DI or whether it needs to impinge directly only on what is technically the "bolt" part of the bolt carrier group. Semantics. Yeah, there's a "piston" in the bolt carrier group, but that "piston" doesn't play the same role as it does on other gas operated systems. The piston itself can't even move when the gas impinges on it (which, BTW, it does impinge directly on, though from the wrong direction). So the question is whether to think of it as direct impingement because the gas impinges directly on the bolt carrier group or whether to think of it as not direct impingement because functionally it is the bolt carrier that is directly impinged, and the carrier mechanically transmits force to the bolt in order to unlock it and move it rearward. I think it belongs in the broad category of DI systems because it is more natural to think of the bolt carrier group as functionally representing the whole "bolt" than it is to think of the bolt carrier as a kind of op rod.

the AR is top 5 best guns for prepping: lightweight, available ammo, powerful, accurate, multitude of uses, spare parts common, and...RELIABLE.

My first AR build was made mostly of shit parts. I've put all sorts of shit steel ammo and def don't clean enough as I should. Completely flawless (and accurate) to date. I've seen enough torture tests to see that the AR is damn reliable. Between the bolt closed and dust cover closed, the action is pretty much protected on all sides. Is your AR15 really going to be fully exposed to mud in a SHTF scenario? Unlikely. If it can still run after negligent maintenance, I'd say the gun is pretty reliable. Preppers can't go wrong with the AR15
^^^
This , as long as it goes "bang" when i pull the curve thingy.

So a .40 S&W is a 10mm kurz...? [smile]

LOL, maybe- but not quite as cool...

220px-45.7.92x33.jpg

The AR is not a good prepper gun, it needs cleaning and constant wet lube to function. Mean while you can piss clean the ak/sks and lube it with pan drippings.

Well, the main thing is, don’t do what marines do. Need a hammer to bang in a tent stake? Grab the rifle.

Need a lever to life something? Grab the rifle.

Need to dig a hole? Grab the rifle.

Need to break a door down? Grab the rifle.

I’m thinking the AR is excellent so long as you use it for its intended purpose.

But those marines sure do make it quite versatile. Gotta keep the armorer busy.

Surely you must be joking.
I had a G22. Awful to shoot IMO. Hated it.
I'd rather a 357 revolver. Of a 44mag.
Too snappy. Never shot another manufacturers 40 tho.
I have a G22 and kinda agree with you. Definitely agree on a .357 revolver. Or my .45 Colt/ACP/WinMag Redhawk.

One thing I do like about the G22 is that I don't have to worry about it. Shoot steel case junk ammo in its crappy barrel: check. Take it on out of state road trips without worrying that it might not make it home with me: check. If anything happens to it I'll just pick up another police turn in for $300.
I also bought a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for it when they were $75 shipped.

Im so dissapointed no one said I eat green berets for breakfast

Also want the tatical chicken.

And boom suck this ar mr a-hole writer
20190411_162946.jpg

the AR is top 5 best guns for prepping: lightweight, available ammo, powerful, accurate, multitude of uses, spare parts common, and...RELIABLE.

My first AR build was made mostly of shit parts. I've put all sorts of shit steel ammo and def don't clean enough as I should. Completely flawless (and accurate) to date. I've seen enough torture tests to see that the AR is damn reliable. Between the bolt closed and dust cover closed, the action is pretty much protected on all sides. Is your AR15 really going to be fully exposed to mud in a SHTF scenario? Unlikely. If it can still run after negligent maintenance, I'd say the gun is pretty reliable. Preppers can't go wrong with the AR15

I wish I could find it again but years ago I read a story on some firearms-related web site about an AR that was never cleaned. The authors ran an experiment where they lubed the action but never cleaned it and 30 or 40,000 rounds later the rifle was dripping black crud but still 100% reliable.

It's my own opinion that underlubing is the cause of many firearms problems.

Last edited:
I wish I could find it again but years ago I read an essay on some firearms-related web site about an AR that was never cleaned. The authors ran an experiment where they lubed the action but never cleaned it and 30 or 40,000 rounds later the rifle was dripping black crud but still 100% reliable.

I don’t know if it’s who you’re thinking of, but I believe Pat Rogers, of EAG Tactical fame, did something similar.

Bottom line is that modern ARs are very reliable. They just like to be run wet, and it doesn’t need to be much... just a little lube. I’ve seen many Reservists run bone dry M4s/M16s and they mostly run fine too, but do encounter increased failure rates.

I wish I could find it again but years ago I read a story on some firearms-related web site about an AR that was never cleaned. The authors ran an experiment where they lubed the action but never cleaned it and 30 or 40,000 rounds later the rifle was dripping black crud but still 100% reliable.

Bravo Company, aka BCM AR that was used in classes in TN, the Filthy 14... S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog

FWIW, the article states the maintenance and cleaning history of the rifle. It was cleaned once at around 28,000 rounds. It had extractor springs replaced as well as the BCG at various points. As far as a "prepper" weapon goes, make sure you have extra BCG's, extractor springs and lube and you'll be fine. Honestly, you'll probably run out of ammo, starve, die of disease, or be killed by zombie hoards before the rifle fails on you...

Last edited:
Bravo Company, aka BCM AR that was used in classes in TN, the Filthy 14... S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog

FWIW, the article states the maintenance and cleaning history of the rifle. It was cleaned once at around 28,000 rounds. It had extractor springs replaced as well as the BCG at various points. As far as a "prepper" weapon goes, make sure you have extra BCG's, extractor springs and lube and you'll be fine. Honestly, you'll probably run out of ammo, starve, die of disease, or be killed by zombie hoards before the rifle fails on you...

This. Thank you.

The AR is not a good prepper gun, it needs cleaning and constant wet lube to function. Mean while you can piss clean the ak/sks and lube it with pan drippings.

In the real world, you can do the same with a M16 and you'll be able to hit what you aim at too. You can use the greasy crap in some of the C- rats to lube too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom