Why the AR-15 Sucks for Preppers

If they are so shitty, why did they come to be the most popular sporting rifle in the country? Maybe his experience was with the M4 or M16A2.

A part of the reason could be that most people don't run their AR-15s nearly as hard as the military and may tend to treat them better.

If he was talking about actual preppers....they don't do mag dumps for fun, because they are paying for their own ammo. They won't shoot out a barrel because that leaves them less $ for a spare upper, or a case of ammo, or a spare optic, or NV, or.....

well...I have thousands of rounds through the crappy M&P15 I overpaid for during obamascare. The only issue with it was with a crappy preban mag that I discovered had a split. Throw away mag, no other problems.

The rest of them that I've bought or built, from Anderson to Yankee (literally) 80%-ers, and even my own built and serialized FU-MA-15 and I have had few issues. Just lucky I guess.

If you want to lose me in the first paragraph, use the term 'assault rifle' and have it not mocking an anti. No. Just...no. Fvck you.

Opinions are like A-holes. We all have them.

This A-hole agrees that simpler is better for whatever a typical prepper is. For me, that would be a bolt action, magazine fed rifle chambered to accept .223/5.56 ammo- the shitier the better.

My M4 ran fine in Iraq during OIF 4 and 5. Always went bang. They tend to do this if you dont oil the living F*ck out of them like they tell you to do at the range stateside. The sand over there is like talcum powder and will stick like glue to anything even remotely moist. Yes it did need to be cleaned 2 or 3 times a week when on the FOB, but it really was only like a 10 min wipe down of internals unless I had shot a couple mags or more.

Couldnt give two shits about a soiled pinky in the star chamber. I didnt have to turn it into the armorer at the end of the day, as it never left my side. One of the benefits of being in a war I guess.

I thought that’s what the Magpul grip was for, no? What else am I supposed to keep in there if not every single damn part to repair the bolt?

A pack of gum?

Its a tool, treat it like any tool clean and oil it and it will last. Plus its part of a long line of tools I have in the box, may not be the one I use that day but It will go bang when needed. Is it perfect, nope that's why its not the only one in the line up.

I would agree to a point, the ideal weapon for a prepper is actually an M4-gery. Acts just like an AR-15 until you have a hoard of MZBs, then flip the magic selector.

MZB=Mutant Zombie Biker (from a survival novel series I read).

My first AR build was made from complete shit parts. I put the shittiest of the shit ammo through it. ZERO malfunctions to date. I'll take an AR for SHTF any day of the week. And no, I don't plan on dragging it through mud. The closed bolt will protect debris from entering the action.

lol he didn't recommend anything, just "the AR sucks cuz I'm da green beret" I'm surprised he didn't end with "nobody needs these weapons of war on the streetz". What's the military version of a Fudd?

Pretty much any flag officer.....colonel and up

The obvious has all been stated, I want to challenge his bad analogies. “An iPhone that worked as long as you took proper care of it.” Well that’s what we have right now. Proper care means; don’t get it wet, don’t jail break it, don’t drop it, restart it every so often, keep it charged etc. if you don’t do that, it fails. The Tesla is too obvious to even comment on - the f***ing things blow up randomly. Musk SHOULD have his ass strapped to a booster and launched into orbit. It’s just more “AR’s suck” drivel.

"What rifle for prepping" is a topic that has been beat to death, resuscitated, and beat to death again more times than can be counted.

The only way to get anyone to care about a new take on this topic is to post something hyperbolic and inflammatory and wait for people to notice the obvious BS. This is about as low effort content as you can get. It's the YankeeMarshall approach to creating content (can't wait for his next video on how glocks suck or black powder is best for EDC or whatever idiotic crap he spouts to get rage-views)

Don't take the bait. Negative attention is still attention. Don't reward the hacks.

A part of the reason could be that most people don't run their AR-15s nearly as hard as the military and may tend to treat them better.
When you own something you worked and paid for, you tend to treat it better. There's no armorer on duty after the apocolypse to swap stuff out for me, so I better make certain all my gear is GTG at all times.

Michael Douglas went up against the Star Chamber and almost lost his life. Don't mess with the Star Chamber.

I always spray brake cleaner down the gas tube and the barrel until it drains out the barrel. This cleans everything out and you will never have jamming problems because of a plugged gas tube.

Look son, I know Green Berets. Green Berets are friends of mine. You are no Green Beret.
I always spray brake cleaner down the gas tube and the barrel until it drains out the barrel. This cleans everything out and you will never have jamming problems because of a plugged gas tube.
I use it on my teeth too. You gotta get that plaque off.

Works wonders on cast iron.

I actually have a buy and save with amazon to get a case of break cleaner delivered every month. You can use it on anything.

And it makes those finicky ARs almost reliable.

Hmm, none of the noobs in my two Sig rifle classes had any failures. I haven't had one yet with my BCM. Maybe it's the Slip2000?

But I don't mind using this article as an excuse to buy a SCAR. Or Galil Ace!

Nope, in another article, special forces didn't like the SCAR and still rely on the M4A1. [smile]

Alarmed after the 2001 test, SoCom developed its own gun, the Special Operations Forces Assault Rifle (SCAR), and handed it out to Army Rangers, Green Berets and Navy SEALs. Delta Force, the Army’s elite counterterrorism unit, bought a German-designed rifle. Sources say SoCom is not entirely happy with either gun and still relies on the M4A1.

Troops left to fend for themselves after Army was warned of flaws in M4 carbine assault rifle

Back
Top Bottom