• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why skeet is better than trap

OK, what is the difference between "skeet", "trap", and "sporting clays"?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Also, is there any sort of good electronic simulator to use to practice shotgun aiming, without having to spend a fortune in targets and shells?

Do a search here on the forum. I think that I answered that question once before here.

Don't have the detailed info at hand (it took some digging) to repost it right now.

In a nutshell:

Skeet is shooting at clay pidgeons flying at, from, and across from you as either singles or doubles, from 8 stations in a 1/2 moon shape.

Trap is shooting at clays from 5 linear stations that are flying away from you at 5 different angles.

Sporting clays is an exciting sport that you walk the course (usually through the woods), and the targets range in size, presentations, speed, and other things (that depends on the course). You should have a variety of shells and choke tubes for this. And in the summer months, bring water.

5-Stand is like a mini sporting clays course. Alot of fun.

And without spending a fortune on shells and stuff, depending on where you live you can practice in the backyard. Practice proper mounting, swing, lead, followthrough, etc...on sparrows and chickadees (without shells).
These are the basics one needs to be able to hit a moving object.
Don't think there's anything electronic out there to practice with, other than video games.

Rpriestlyjr said:
And without spending a fortune on shells and stuff, depending on where you live you can practice in the backyard. Practice proper mounting, swing, lead, followthrough, etc...on sparrows and chickadees (without shells).
These are the basics one needs to be able to hit a moving object.
Don't think there's anything electronic out there to practice with, other than video games.

I sure wouldn't be out in my backyard swinging my shotgun all around... If a neighbor calls the police, you are gonna be sorry!

Adam

Rpriestlyjr said:
In a nutshell:

Skeet is shooting at clay pidgeons flying at, from, and across from you as either singles or doubles, from 8 stations in a 1/2 moon shape.

Trap is shooting at clays from 5 linear stations that are flying away from you at 5 different angles.

Sporting clays is an exciting sport that you walk the course (usually through the woods), and the targets range in size, presentations, speed, and other things (that depends on the course). You should have a variety of shells and choke tubes for this. And in the summer months, bring water.

5-Stand is like a mini sporting clays course. Alot of fun.

Just a clarification for those who don't already have a clear picture in their minds.

In skeet the clays are thrown from two different locations (the high house and the low house); the shooter is at one of 8 different stations, one between the two houses and the other seven arranged in an arc beginning at one house and ending at the other. Depending on the house from which the clays are thrown and the shooters station, the clays my be thrown (approximately) toward, away from, or crossing (right to left or left to right) in front of the shooter.

In trap the clays are thown from a single location while the shooter is at one of 5 different stations. The clays are thrown (roughly) away from the shooter.

For sporting clays, think golf (only without the absurd and ugly clothing). No two courses are exactly alike, and a course can easily change from one week to the next as different stations are used and machines are redirected or relocated. Clays may come from any direction, including behind the shooter, directly towards, lobs, line drives, bouncing along the ground, anything.

Ken

I shot sporting clays and 5 stand this past weekend for the first time. WOW what a blast! I'm hooked.
I showed up with my ol mossberg 500 pump and had a blast. Now to find a cheap semi auto, side by side or over and under. The pumping is a huge disadvantage but I still did great and had some fun.

The pump may put you at a disadvantage now, but after a while you'll learn to shuck shells without even knowing it. My mossberg is loose enough that I don't hardly feel the action when I'm shucking.
And it is great when you out-shoot someone with a K-80.

And by the way, these games are limited to 7-1/2 shot or smaller, and SHOTGUNS ONLY.
The shot size isn't necessarily written in stone, but all ranges have that requirement.

Anyone know if they shoot skeet at Pioneer Valley gun club. I think it was close to Westfield Mass, but I am not sure. My dad used to shoot Skeet there every Sunday morning when we lived in Ma. We left when I was 8 but I always had fond memories of that gun club. Got my first taste for rifle shooting there too!

John

Back
Top Bottom