• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why SCOTUS did not take up any 2nd Amendment case?

Apologies if this belongs on an existent thread. Just read this on National Review and thought some might appreciate reading this perspective.

Why Did the Roberts Court Punt on Ten Second Amendment Cases?

By CODY J. WISNIEWSKI

June 19, 2020

On Monday, the Supreme Court declined to review all ten of the Second Amendment cases it had pending on its docket. Though the cases presented different fact patterns and procedural postures, the Court simply refused to weigh in on any of them. There seems to be one likely reason: Chief Justice Roberts does not want the Court to take a stance on the Second Amendment. We know because it only takes four justices to agree to hear a case but five to reach a decision once a case is heard — and there are four justices on record as being in favor of the Court’s reviewing Second Amendment issues.

Justice Thomas has been dissenting from the Court’s refusal to review those issues for years, and he did so again on Monday, writing to protest the Court’s decision to pass on Rogers v. Grewal, a case addressing New Jersey’s unconstitutional handgun-carry-permit laws:

This case gives us the opportunity to provide guidance on the proper approach for evaluating Second Amendment claims; acknowledge that the Second Amendment protects the right to carry in public; and resolve a square Circuit split on the constitutionality of justifiable need restrictions on that right. I would grant the petition for a writ of certiorari.
Justice Alito authored the landmark 2010 McDonald v. Chicago opinion, which incorporated Second Amendment rights to cover the states, and recently filed a scathing dissent to the Court’s decision in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York:

Twelve years ago in District of Columbia v. Heller . . . we held that the Second Amendment protects the right of ordinary Americans to keep and bear arms. Two years later, our decision in McDonald v. Chicago . . . established that this right is fully applicable to the States. Since then, the lower courts have decided numerous cases involving Second Amendment challenges to a variety of federal, state, and local laws. Most have failed. We have been asked to review many of these decisions, but until this case, we denied all such requests.
Alito’s dissent goes on to review the underlying merits of the case and argue that the New York City gun-control law at issue is certainly unconstitutional.

Justice Kavanaugh is also in favor of the Court’s weighing in on Second Amendment issues. He wrote a well-known dissent in Heller II, a follow-up case stemming from the Heller decision Alito references, in which he chastised the D.C. Circuit’s reasoning and directly applied the Supreme Court test that was established in Heller. More recently, he joined Thomas’s dissent against the Court’s refusal to hear Rogers, and wrote, in a concurrence to the New York State Rifle decision:

I share Justice Alito’s concern that some federal and state courts may not be properly applying Heller and McDonald. The Court should address that issue soon, perhaps in one of the several Second Amendment cases with petitions for certiorari now pending before the Court.
Finally, Justice Gorsuch, while being quieter on the subject, has voiced his support for a review of Second Amendment issues as well: He has joined a couple of dissents penned by Justices Thomas and Alito, in Peruta v. California and New York State Rifle, respectively.

If you’re counting along at home, that’s four Justices — Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh — in favor of the Court’s reviewing Second Amendment issues. Those four together can grant certiorari in any case they wish. One presumes that the only reason they didn’t do so in one of the ten Second Amendment cases the Court passed on Monday is that they were unsure how Chief Justice Roberts would vote once the cases were heard.

To be clear, the Court wasn’t in want of choice. The ten cases pending before it covered issues ranging from New Jersey’s handgun-carry regulations (Rogers) to California’s presumptively unsafe handgun law (Pena v. Horan) and Massachusetts’ “assault weapon” and “high-capacity magazine” bans (Worman v. Healey).

Some of the ten also showed a clear circuit split — a conflict between two or more courts of appeals in the nation as to how to decide a similar or identical issue — which tends to make the Court far more likely to hear a case. In this instance, there was and is a clear split between circuits on the applicability of the Second Amendment outside the home.

So, ruling out votes and issues, the remaining roadblock would seem to be Chief Justice Roberts. What is unclear is why.

Some have speculated that Roberts wants to avoid risking the Court’s reputation on a controversial case during a tense political cycle. But, if the Court had granted certiorari in one of these cases today, the case would have been briefed over the summer, argued in late 2020 or early 2021, and decided in early or mid 2021, well after the next president had been elected.

Does Roberts actually align with the four progressive-leaning justices on the Court when it comes to the Second Amendment? Not likely. Remember, the four progressive-leaning justices can grant review of a case just as the four conservative-leaning justices can. Given that they didn’t on Monday, they likely don’t believe Chief Justice Roberts is on their “side” of the issue.

The conclusion we’re left with is that Chief Justice Roberts doesn’t want the Court to weigh in on the Second Amendment right now, and neither the four conservative justices nor the four progressive justices were confident enough of his siding with them on the issue to risk granting certiorari in any of the ten cases.

Keep in mind, when the chief justice is in the majority on a decision, he gets to pick who writes the opinion.If Chief Justice Roberts is the swing vote in a case, he’ll be in the majority however he decides, and could easily assign himself the opinion. Given that the rest of the Court is evenly split, no matter how he drafted it, the justices who agreed with the outcome of the opinion would almost have to sign on, regardless of its reasoning, and that could spell trouble.

For now, we will have to rely on the decisions of the circuit courts in gun-rights cases. But while it’s unclear what the impact of this week will be on the future of Second Amendment jurisprudence, those of us committed to defending Second Amendment-protected rights will not give up the fight.

CODY J. WISNIEWSKI is an attorney with the Mountain States Legal Foundation. He primarily focuses on Second Amendment issues, and is the co-author of Amicus Curiae briefs in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. City of New York and Pena v. Horan. @thewizardoflawz

A far more likely explanation is he really really doesn't want the pictures from pedo island to hit the press.
The man is compromised and needs to step down.
It's not just 2A issues .
He's the man that gave us Obamacare.
Agreed. This clown is far worse than Kennedy or even the unconstitutional low life liberal block of the court. At least their rulings are consistently bad but consistent. Nothing worse than a wishy washy judge. What a tool bag this guy is

This not hard to figure out why, it's call public sentiment right now. In fact as much as I hate to say it the hand writing is on the wall and it's only a matter of time.

This not hard to figure out why, it's call public sentiment right now. In fact as much as I hate to say it the hand writing is on the wall and it's only a matter of time.

Only a matter of time? Maybe, but woe unto the door kickers, they may get away with a few - but after that they will be reconsidering their career choice. The political hacks will be held responsible too, more so actually as I know the local cops - I’ve never met anyone from the Boston delegation and only a couple (no longer active) from the DC group.

A far more likely explanation is he really really doesn't want the pictures from pedo island to hit the press.
The man is compromised and needs to step down.
It's not just 2A issues .
He's the man that gave us Obamacare.
I'm not usually into tinfoil, but I agree that SOMEONE definitely has something on him.

In the wake of all the firearm-related cases not being granted cert, here is a quote from a broader article about Roberts. It's worth considering the source, but I had heard something similar before from another source.
EXCLUSIVE: Inside John Roberts' surprising streak of liberal wins
Roberts also sent enough signals during internal deliberations on firearms restrictions, sources said, to convince fellow conservatives he would not provide a critical fifth vote anytime soon to overturn gun control regulations. As a result, the justices in June denied several petitions regarding Second Amendment rights.

No worries, Trump will save us. He is like super into the second amendment and stuff.

Well, his Supreme Court picks seem to look positively on the 2A. They just can’t risk Roberts’ opinion setting terrible and irreversible precident. If President Trump can get one more justice in the court, then we might actually have a shot.

I think the recent Roberts driven decisions are a measured attempt to defuse the 'stack the SC/increase # of justices' stance biden and other dems have floated.
They are deliberately telegraphing a non-partisan message to weather that storm, and it appears to be working given MSM commentary.

If the WH and/or senate flips the SC knows 2a cases are inevitable, esp if another AWB or worse is floated.
Any decisions that prevent the watering down of the current bench will benefit 2a in the long run, imo.

Robert does not want to incur the wrath of the left, which controls DC. If the Court accepts our rules favorably on a 2nd Amendment case he will be villified by the lamestream media and the swamp rats. Remember, the Dems already threatened him on abortion and gun cases. He has no balls and is more worried about the Court's reputation with the ruling elite.

Lol people like you make me laugh. So because i call out trump for not supporting the second amendment that surely means i would rather have a dem in his place. Sounds logical.
He did the same to me in another thread because I was critical of something Trump did. So silly.

The dems shamelessly press judges all over the country.

Whatever the merits of the dispute, congressional involvement in a recusal controversy is rare and represents a new front in bullish Democratic efforts to rein in the judiciary. The letter's invocation of oversight strikes a particularly sharp note, raising questions as to what Democratic senators have in store for the courts if they retake control of the chamber.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) prompted condemnation from Chief Justice John Roberts in March after he singled out Justices Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh for criticism during a rally. The senator said the two Trump appointees would "pay the price" if they restricted abortion rights.

Likewise, a group of Democratic lawmakers led by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D., R.I.) repeatedly alluded to public support for "restructuring" the Supreme Court in an amicus brief pressing the justices to dismiss a Second Amendment case.

So, Justice, you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of history, would you?

Likewise, a group of Democratic lawmakers led by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D., R ....
Back when he was RI AG he signed the attorney general issued carry permits personally. I think I had to turn it in when I picked up a renewal - they are now on plastic with a printed signature.

Back
Top Bottom