Why men love war

One of the best things that I have read about men and war. Its kind of odd that I am a Nam era vet, never in country, in USAF. The closest I have gotten to war, was touching some of the coffins that came back in the 141"s, that I worked in. Yet that may be closer than most of forum members here ever have.

Something we heard on the radio sparked a conversation between my daughter and I the other day. I said that the male lions sleep lazily all day when lionesses hunt. They waltz in for the best meat from the hunted prize and don't seem to pull their weight for the prides.

But their purpose in life is when another male lion threatens to take over the pride: they fight, sometime to death, because if they lose, their wives get taken, and offsprings killed.

Nature has programmed this into male gene, for the benefits of long-time survival of species. No amount of PC propaganda, sensitivity training or estrogen-ladened Cologne can take it away.

I was in Albania, then Kosovo in the summer of '99. We spent six months ending someone else's war. I don't need to see any more than that.

Seeing a society in the end stages of tearing itself apart was more than enough.

ETA: It was better doing soldier stuff than training to do soldier stuff, though.

I'll Just leave this here........if you understand this poem then you understand the topic of this forum. My wife kept a copy of this in her purse when I was deployed.......both times. She understood it as do I.

To Lucasta, Going to the Wars

Tell me not (Sweet) I am unkind,
That from the Nunnery
Of thy chaste breast, and quiet mind,
To War and Arms I fly.

True, a new Mistress now I chase,
The first Foe in the Field;
And with a stronger Faith embrace
A Sword, a Horse, a Shield.

Yet this inconstancy is such
As you too shall adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,