• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is this stuff still happening...

Nobody (well, not me) said you should rely on gizmos. I don't rely on my seatbelt. It's there in case I, or someone else, makes a mistake.

just don't start a "do you wear your seatbelt?" thread, or the all-time chamption "do you turn your car off when filling it with gas?" thread. [laugh]

Nothing new here sadly. The only bright spot is that there are fewer accidental shootings these days.

All guns are loaded all of the time. Forget that simple rule and you will pay a dear and horrific price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody (well, not me) said you should rely on gizmos. I don't rely on my seatbelt. It's there in case I, or someone else, makes a mistake.

Doesn't negate the need to remember the fundamentals at all times when handling firearms.

As I mentioned, even when I've been shooting, and have cleared the weapon before leaving the range, I check it again before I go to clean it. It takes all of a couple of seconds to completely check either a pistol or rifle. It's also pretty damned easy to do. Maybe it's just easy for those of us that have made it into second nature when handling firearms.

I do think that anyone that owns a firearm needs to have at least some basic safety training. I don't believe it should be something mandated by .gov, but something enforced by all gun stores/dealers. There has to be some free literature available to go over things. For any new gun owners, that have never been to the range, owned a gun, etc. it should be required reading before you leave the dealer with a gun.

Actually there's plenty available online (quick google search), just two examples:
Firearm Safety | 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling
The Basics of Gun Safety | LearnAboutGuns.com 

While the event in the OP was tragic, it was 100% avoidable. It really was a ND event, not AD. I wouldn't blink if the father was charged in involuntary manslaughter for this. Maybe if people were charged more often for such stupidity, it would get more people to act responsibly. [pot]

i don't need a gun to talk to my brain. my brain already knows how to interact with the gun. i also disagree in that a mag safety could "save someone's life". rely on all these gizmos and gadgets and you forget the fundamentals and you forget the simple shit like simply checking the chamber and mag well. it's not rocket science.

This 110%! Yes, in a few cases a mag disconnect may prevent something, but devices like that lead to complacency, and since not all firearms have them, you could very well develop a bad habit that could get you killed! Realistically even slide safeties fall into that category, but that is a whole different topic since some guns such as 1911s need them to be used more than other types of guns like striker fired for example. The bottom line is that there are only 4 basic rules for a reason... so that even the dumbest person can remember them, and they apply to ALL firearms, regardless of other safety features. Even in the situation of a child not being able to remember 4, 10, or whatever number of safety rules, the one and only that matters is that you need to treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded ALL THE TIME! If you do just that one, accidents are pretty avoidable.

Last edited:
I agree. I always check my own guns even when I know for a fact that they are not loaded, or have been handled by anyone else because as humans we are all susceptible to making mistakes unless we "measure twice, cut once".
I do the exact same thing every single time. This is pure stupidity. You can't fix stupid. Feel bad for the family. This should never happen EVER.

unbelievable.

i always stress when i teach the Home Firearm Safety class.

Take the ammo out of the room when you clean your gun! I dont know how people ND while cleaning there guns!

they don't check for ammo first, or they are drinking. the gun is always l

loaded, maybe they missed that part...

Thing is, it wasn't an accident, it was negligence. Negligence is 100% avoidable.

I was taught from a very young age the safety rules. So far back, and so young, I cannot remember when it started. Long before I went to the range for the first time (around 8 years old) to shoot with my father. Basically, as soon as I could understand the concepts, I was taught.

While I don't expect everyone to have been taught to this level, I do expect people to be responsible when owning/using firearms.

unbelievable. put your license back in it's cracker jacks box sir

I get the joke, but a child has been murdered (yes murdered) because of carelessness. I may have read this wrong or it's just your way of adding sarcasm to a subject where vulnerability usually creeps in, which most guys tend to do.

I just can't stress safety enough and I don't even have children yet. So sad [sad2]

It can happen if you simply get distracted and change the sequence of: remove the mag, check the chamber...

- - - Updated - - -

...and thinking about it, I suppose that while the best safety is the one between your ears, mistakes can happen and in that scenario a mag disconnect could save someone' life.

mag disconnectors and load indicators only provide a FALSE sense of security. best indicator is an open action. like my driving instructor used to say, "you don't go when the light turns green, you go when it's safe to proceed--the only thing a green light tells you is the bulb is working."

another article reports it was a 12 ga shotgun. dumb as shit to be wiping a loaded shotty in the house like that with the action closed

Last edited:
Damn Terminator03, dad is a carpenter/owns a hardware store and I've been around construction my entire life. "measure twice, cut once" is new to me. +1, love it

[laugh2]Yep, it's a great, easy line to remember that can be applied to many things in life - especially carpentry![laugh]

"I don't think he meant to hold it in that direction. There must've been a bullet lodged in the chamber and it fired and hit him," added Simmons.

Un****ing believable. Next time he's cleaning it hopefully he points it at himself.

I ALWAYS clear a firearm before I go and clean it. It's the way I was taught all those decades ago (by my father who was an NRA certified instructor). Takes all of a few seconds to make sure the weapon is clear before you start handling it (when not on the firing line).

I really don't understand how these things can happen with people that are either responsible, or have more than a few living brain cells. Also, not knowing exactly where the firearm is being pointed is unacceptable. Even when cleared you should know exactly where it's being pointed, and if there's anything in line with it. 99.99% of the time, I point towards the floor/ground when dry firing a weapon, even when I know (for a fact) that it's clear. It's just a good habit to have.

People like this are bad examples that the anti's will use to try and pass more laws.

Agreed, Anyone with a half a brain knows that you clear a weapon prior to doing anything with it. unfortunately this death will be added to the list the anti's use against us.

I didn't really have someone teach me but I use common sense. When I clean my guns I leave the ammo abd magazines in the safe unless I'm cleaning the magazines(OCD). Then the ammo stays in the safe. Sad story but could have been prevented

I didn't really have someone teach me but I use common sense. When I clean my guns I leave the ammo abd magazines in the safe unless I'm cleaning the magazines(OCD). Then the ammo stays in the safe. Sad story but could have been prevented

That isn't a bad practice, but personally I never feel the need to put my mags in a completely different location as I am the only one around whenever I clean my guns (because my wife insists that the kids not see gun related activities, I do it when they are at school). Since I am alone, and automatically eject the mag, clear the chamber, etc. prior to any work, I don't personally feel the need to have them in different locations because the only way that the mag will jump back into the gun is if I put there, and rack the slide myself prior to re-holstering (if it's my EDC), or in the case of long guns, the mags are already separate anyway, so I just need to check/clear the chamber.

What part of ALWAYS keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction isn't clear? This is a completely avoidable tragedy.

This family is lost.
How can the father live with himself?
How can the mother live with the father?
How can the sibling ever look at their father the same way again. WTF

"Weapon unloaded, chamber is clear, weapon de-cocked and on safe" - that's what got stuck in my head back
from boot camp 33 years ago. Everyone passing a gun had to adhere to the procedure and the one receiving
the gun had to check himself immediately. Doesn't leave room for effing up.

While I was the armorer for my unit in Korea, I drilled this lesson in every time the rifles came back into my arms room, and it saved my life. Jackass private tried to hand me his rifle barrel first with the bolt forward and it not on safe. I took him to task on the spot, and forced him to clear it in the barrel next to the door...he didn't pull the charging handle, and shot into the clearing barrel. I think the dimples where his hands were placed for push-ups might still be there. I made him stand by my armsroom door every time weapons came out or went in and he checked every single rifle to ensure it was cleared with the bolt locked back and on safe for almost 9 months before he PCS'd stateside. The only safety that will always work on a weapon is the one between your ears, EVERY single other safety can fail.

Sounds like this guy allowed the one between his ears to fail him as well.
like my driving instructor used to say, "you don't go when the light turns green, you go when it's safe to proceed--the only thing a green light tells you is the bulb is working."

This was pretty cool, I've never heard that before. Reps to you, Sir!

Also, I'm stealing that line.
Apparently, the village idiot Mayor Bloomberg is running ads about guns, but as expected, even the ads are wrong:

View attachment 60562

See any problems?

It's not pointed at Bloombergs head?

Last edited:
What part of ALWAYS keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction isn't clear? This is a completely avoidable tragedy.

This family is lost.
How can the father live with himself?
How can the mother live with the father?
How can the sibling ever look at their father the same way again. WTF

Those questions are exactly why there's no prosecution required in cases of stupidity. The suffering of the result is more than adequate punishment.

Apparently, the village idiot Mayor Bloomberg is running ads about guns, but as expected, even the ads are wrong:

View attachment 60562

See any problems?

Finger on the trigger.
Action closed.
Kids walking around the area.
Not looking where the gun is pointed.
Not pointed at the ground or skyward.

Is this a way Blowberg showcases irresponsible gunowners?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom