• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is this stuff still happening...

unbelievable.

i always stress when i teach the Home Firearm Safety class.

Take the ammo out of the room when you clean your gun! I dont know how people ND while cleaning there guns!

Heartbreaking, tragic and completely avoidable. The father will never know any greater punishment than to have to live with what happened.

he broke all the rules.

pointed in a unsafe direction, finger on the trigger, and loaded.

I ALWAYS clear a firearm before I go and clean it. It's the way I was taught all those decades ago (by my father who was an NRA certified instructor). Takes all of a few seconds to make sure the weapon is clear before you start handling it (when not on the firing line).

I really don't understand how these things can happen with people that are either responsible, or have more than a few living brain cells. Also, not knowing exactly where the firearm is being pointed is unacceptable. Even when cleared you should know exactly where it's being pointed, and if there's anything in line with it. 99.99% of the time, I point towards the floor/ground when dry firing a weapon, even when I know (for a fact) that it's clear. It's just a good habit to have.

People like this are bad examples that the anti's will use to try and pass more laws.

I have OCD when it comes to check and clean my guns and i dont even have kids. I must be checking them five times before i start handle them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Bear in mind that saying "The gun went off when I was cleaning it..." sounds a whole lot better than "The gun went off when I pulled the trigger..." and that is why so many accidental discharges occur during the maintenance phase of gun ownership...

I ALWAYS clear a firearm before I go and clean it. It's the way I was taught all those decades ago (by my father who was an NRA certified instructor). Takes all of a few seconds to make sure the weapon is clear before you start handling it (when not on the firing line).

I really don't understand how these things can happen with people that are either responsible, or have more than a few living brain cells. Also, not knowing exactly where the firearm is being pointed is unacceptable. Even when cleared you should know exactly where it's being pointed, and if there's anything in line with it. 99.99% of the time, I point towards the floor/ground when dry firing a weapon, even when I know (for a fact) that it's clear. It's just a good habit to have.

People like this are bad examples that the anti's will use to try and pass more laws.

I agree. I always check my own guns even when I know for a fact that they are not loaded, or have been handled by anyone else because as humans we are all susceptible to making mistakes unless we "measure twice, cut once".

this is a horrible story any way you look at it. I just don't understand cleaning a loaded gun. How do you clean it if there is a round in the chamber? It would be like trying to clean a toilet with a turd still in the bowl.

You can't effectivley clean a firearm if there is a mag in it or a round in the chamber.

.......I don't think he meant to hold it in that direction. There must've been a bullet lodged in the chamber and it fired and hit him......

Lodged in the chamber?!??!? You mean to say, IT WAS LOADED??!?! I always tell students that checking to see if a gun is loaded should be the first thing you do when you pick it up, and the last thing you do before you put it down. Every. Freaking. Time. If you can't be disciplined enough to be a little obsessive when it comes to safety, and do things the right way every time..........eventually complacency creeps in and someone gets hurt.

Unbelievably tragic, but completely preventable.

Last edited:
That's terrible and was completely avoidable. Sad that the kid had to pay for the father's stupidity.

I've never taken a "safety course". Why is it so hard to be safe?

Just always follow the 4 rules, and unload/clear weapons before casual handling. And always follow the 4 rules.

I instinctively (obsessively?) double check the chamber, and if relevant, the safety, everytime I pick up a gun, even if I just put it down. I'd rather look silly and paranoid than be negligent with a weapon.

When I was first teaching my nephew how to shoot I drilled this into his head "when every you touch a firearm, check to see if it is loaded." I handed him one day and told him it was unloaded (it was but it was a test) and he didn't check. We left the range right then and he was barred by me for a month. He never made the same mistake again. I drill it into heads.

It can happen if you simply get distracted and change the sequence of: remove the mag, check the chamber...

- - - Updated - - -

...and thinking about it, I suppose that while the best safety is the one between your ears, mistakes can happen and in that scenario a mag disconnect could save someone' life.

"Weapon unloaded, chamber is clear, weapon de-cocked and on safe" - that's what got stuck in my head back
from boot camp 33 years ago. Everyone passing a gun had to adhere to the procedure and the one receiving
the gun had to check himself immediately. Doesn't leave room for effing up.

It can happen if you simply get distracted and change the sequence of: remove the mag, check the chamber...

- - - Updated - - -

...and thinking about it, I suppose that while the best safety is the one between your ears, mistakes can happen and in that scenario a mag disconnect could save someone' life.

I have zero tolerance for thinking of any excuse for not clearing a weapon before handling it, when not preparing to fire it. If you're doing any maintenance, or transport (when not carrying) it should be cleared, and then checked again to make sure it's clear. With any semi-auto it's as simple as ejecting the magazine and cycling the action a few times. I do this on my pistols without fail. I even do it on rifles. Shotguns follow too. I clear the magazine/tube and then cycle it a few more time to make 100% sure it's clear. Bolt action rifles are even easier to make sure they're clear.

I have OCD when it comes to check and clean my guns and i dont even have kids. I must be checking them five times before i start handle them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This I think 5 times for me at least!

- - - Updated - - -

This may be true, but you have to be vigilant about safety. No excuses.

I had a distraction "almost" cause me to leave a round chambered once. I was at the range sighting in my SKS, kind of in the zone, shooting away when I felt an insistent tap on my shoulder that startled me while shooting. I put the rifle down looked up with a WTF? look on my face and some ass-burger was informing me that it was "time to stop shooting". His handler quickly herded him away and apologized as the special kid headed for the range gate while others were about to keep shooting! [shocked]

Anyways, I was aggravated and started packing up, when the voices in my head said "double check your weapon". Sure enough a round was sitting in the chamber waiting for blast off.

A minor incident for sure, but it reinforced my attention to safety when faced with distraction.

I've removed the mag disconnects from my SIG 210's as this provides better trigger characteristics.
Then I suppose there's some room for better design there, or a different system.

Someday, a gun will be able to read your mind and understand your intent through your iBrain interface.

If I put my gun down for two minutes and pick it up again, I check the chamber to make sure. Always. Never assume it's unloaded or bank on your memory.

Then I suppose there's some room for better design there, or a different system.

Someday, a gun will be able to read your mind and understand your intent through your iBrain interface.

i don't need a gun to talk to my brain. my brain already knows how to interact with the gun. i also disagree in that a mag safety could "save someone's life". rely on all these gizmos and gadgets and you forget the fundamentals and you forget the simple shit like simply checking the chamber and mag well. it's not rocket science.

i don't need a gun to talk to my brain. my brain already knows how to interact with the gun. i also disagree in that a mag safety could "save someone's life". rely on all these gizmos and gadgets and you forget the fundamentals and you forget the simple shit like simply checking the chamber and mag well. it's not rocket science.
Nobody (well, not me) said you should rely on gizmos. I don't rely on my seatbelt. It's there in case I, or someone else, makes a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom