• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is the A2 front sight so popular?

SR556

Banned
It seems like 90% of the ARs I see all have the A2 front sight instead of a folding one. Why is this? A folding front sight is lighter, smaller, has a lower chance of snagging on stuff, and doesn't get in the way of a red dot (what's the point of a red dot if you're just going to cowitness with the irons anyway?).

So if you have an AR with an A2 front sight post, why did you choose it over a folding front sight?

If you buy a flip up, then you still need to spend the money on a gas block too.

I have a lo-pro gas block with flip ups on 1 of my AR's, and on another I have the F marked FSB. I like them both.

I have a preban Colt with a carry handle and fix front sight. I replaced the upper with a diamond back with rails and put a folding front sight on it as back up to the scope. I like the new look better. I have to admit thought, the old Colt upper will cycle anything but the diamond back is a bit picky about what it will cycle. What i can figure out is why do people have carrying handles? Who ever holds their rifle using the carrying handle?

The following is my opinion on this matter. Simplicity is a real reason, the A2 sight is rock solid, its not going anywhere. Basically if durability is your #1 concern, go A1, if light weight and compactness are for #1, go with a flip up.

But if something works better, why settle on the A2?

It doesn't, thats the point.

Anything that moves or hinges, will eventually break. A solid sight with a built in gas block for all practical purposes won't and will likely last the life of the rifle and then some.

People have been trying to reinvent the wheel with the AR15 for fifty years, devising add ons, cosmetic do dads, and very few products have been an improvement.

The best thing that ever came out to improve its performance was the no tilt magazine follower by Magpul. Why it took forty years is beyond me. They did it right and I thank them for their product. Best money that can be spent to improve reliability, bar none.

Are there any real benefits to the A2 sight over a folding one?

Sure. Smash your folding sight on a door frame while it's open. Then...smash your A2.

Your folding sight will be reduced to a $100 paperweight.

You could use your A2 as a melee blunt killing instrument if you'd like and it will hold zero.

Folding sights have their place, especially in the role of a DMR type rifle. I have them on mine, as do most of us here. That being said, if I had the choice between the two if it was a situation where the AR might get tortured and banged around, I'd feel more comfortable with the fixed gas block sight just based on ruggedness.

In addition to what has been said about the durability and simplicity, I personally wanted the A2 front sight because it just looks "right". There is just something about the classic look of it that is very appealing in a similar way that 1911s are very appealing despite decades of evolution in design. It is also always ready to go without having to mess with it. If using an optic, you can just ignore it so I can ask you what is the advantage of a folding one? Clearly based on the examples in this thread, the disadvantages outweigh the 1, or 2 positives.

I think another reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is that it is generally cheaper. The times that you see people not using the A2 sight is when they have free-floated handguards, as opposed to a Magpul MOE or some other drop in handguard. The free-floated rails tend to be a lot more expensive, so unless you have money to burn or are setting up an with the expressed purpose of getting the tightest groups you can then going with a standard A2 sight tends to make much more sense for people.
WP_000237.jpg

Because it came with my barrel and now that it is on I am too lazy/cheap to put a gas block and flip up sight on.

Taper pins drilled and pressed through the sight and barrel...or set screws [thinking] holding everything together from you gas system to your zero...Not much to debate there

what's the point of a red dot if you're just going to cowitness with the irons anyway?

If i'm in a SHTF scenario and my red dot batteries die on me, and i'm being shot at, I wont have to fiddle with trying to flip up sights. I just look right through my red dot and use my iron sights. Simplicity...and in a position when seconds can mean the difference between life and death, ya. YMMV

I have a preban Colt with a carry handle and fix front sight. I replaced the upper with a diamond back with rails and put a folding front sight on it as back up to the scope. I like the new look better. I have to admit thought, the old Colt upper will cycle anything but the diamond back is a bit picky about what it will cycle. What i can figure out is why do people have carrying handles? Who ever holds their rifle using the carrying handle?
one handed military style scary carry, adds to the evil killiness[rofl]

Sure. Smash your folding sight on a door frame while it's open. Then...smash your A2.

Your folding sight will be reduced to a $100 paperweight.

You could use your A2 as a melee blunt killing instrument if you'd like and it will hold zero.

Folding sights have their place, especially in the role of a DMR type rifle. I have them on mine, as do most of us here. That being said, if I had the choice between the two if it was a situation where the AR might get tortured and banged around, I'd feel more comfortable with the fixed gas block sight just based on ruggedness.
It looks like the A2 front sight doubles the guns deadliness, first shoot em, then beat em with it.[rofl]

As a buis I might go with a flip up. But if shooting at any real distance the A2 wins because it doesn'r move where the flip up has some movement. Now if there was a flipup that allowed 2moa accuracy then maybe.

Back
Top Bottom