• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is the .40 caliber losing popularity?

An all metal midsize, like a P229, in .40 will help reduce the recoil and make shooting a .40 enjoyable. Shooting a polymer subcompact with a single recoil spring after a few mags gets old and sometimes a double recoil spring too.
I had a Glock 22, hated the recoil, started shooting all metal guns again like the Sig229/Ruger P944 and it shoots 40 like a dream!

15 or 17 9mm hollow points is enough for anything human. more rounds in a mag is (almost) always better. Or always better.
For a non-human, say, a black bear - 10mm would be better. .40 is really getting in between there.
Glock20 kicks a bit, it is not something enjoyable for a long target practice, but, it is very manageable. It prefer it to most .45

In order to LOSE popularity, wouldn't it have had to HAVE popularity first?
Facts. It's been joked about since its inception. The only time it could have considered popular was when ammo got scarce and you coyld still buy .40 guns and ammo. Popularity with alphabet agencies definitely doesn't count.

A few years ago .40 was the big thing. Everyone wanted it. Now it seems it’s losing its popularity to the point of people hating it. The reason I ask is now you see some going up for sale in the used gun market. Seems like it might be a viable thing to purchase. So why all the hate? Is the .40 caliber becoming obsolete?
FBI dumped the .40 for 9mm Glocks. Secret Service dumped .357 SIG for 9mm Glocks. Customs & Border Patrol dumped the .40 for 9mm Glocks. State and local agencies follow the Fed's example. Not that anyone in his or her right mind would want to be shot with any of those three calibers

A few years ago .40 was the big thing. Everyone wanted it. Now it seems it’s losing its popularity to the point of people hating it. The reason I ask is now you see some going up for sale in the used gun market. Seems like it might be a viable thing to purchase. So why all the hate? Is the .40 caliber becoming obsolete?
? A quote from Jeff Cooper: there was no point in a handgun whose caliber did not begin with .4

FBI dumped the .40 for 9mm Glocks. Secret Service dumped .357 SIG for 9mm Glocks. Customs & Border Patrol dumped the .40 for 9mm Glocks. State and local agencies follow the Fed's example. Not that anyone in his or her right mind would want to be shot with any of those three calibers
What does that say about 9mm? ... it is far superior for shooting dogs.

Fotays were popular because of rappers.

Nobody can keep them in stock now because the ammo is cheap.

If you are not the most professional person in the room you can't have a fotay.

Fotays were popular because of rappers.

Nobody can keep them in stock now because the ammo is cheap.

If you are not the most professional person in the room you can't have a fotay.
Ammo is cheap for .40? Since when? Lol

I thought the reason for the .40 decline was legalized gay marriage. Now couples dont feel the need to own two .40 guns so they sell one.

Is there any evidence that the .40 is decreasing in popularity? Just wondering. Are manufacturers making fewer guns and less ammo? I have several guns in .40 so I'm hoping I don't have to turn them in at the next gun buy back.

An all metal midsize, like a P229, in .40 will help reduce the recoil and make shooting a .40 enjoyable. Shooting a polymer subcompact with a single recoil spring after a few mags gets old and sometimes a double recoil spring too.

That's the truth. I've had several handguns in .40, nothing shoots it like the Sig P229. Nicest shooting .40 hands down.

The reason .40 caliber is losing popularity in one picture:

maxresdefault.jpg

That's the truth. I've had several handguns in .40, nothing shoots it like the Sig P229. Nicest shooting .40 hands down.

Ya it's funny my only real experience with .40 is a mint 229 I stumbled into dirt cheap and I never saw an issue with it, 14 rounds, no notable recoil over 9mm.

Been thinking about a 2nd to make a pair, initially wanted a 229 Legion but you can't get 'em in .40, the other 229 models you can (which is what I've got anyway, an elite or something, basically black with glo sights, standard trigger and decock, standard slide catch etc).

Can a .40 be snappy?? Yes. Have I ever shirked from a Glock in .40 because of it???? Uhhhh, no. Guns go bang. If you want less bang, get a .22. I can't believe people are complaining about .40 recoil. Sheesh.

I recall years ago I tried out one of those 9mm Beretta's with the rotary-lock slide. Whatever it was called. I brought my G19 with me to the range. Whatever the Gunblubber range was (what's that guy's weird name) on 18/28 in Bridgewater. Anyhow, the Baratta rep was there. So I grabbed the gun. "Significant reduction in recoil due to rotary lock slide."

I shot about a box of ammo thru it and my G19. NO DIFFERENCE in recoil. Like, none. Zero. Nada.

Short of putting 357's in a superlite J frame or getting your jollies from a 454 Casull, I think recoil is overrated as a concern.

Back
Top Bottom