• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why is .38 special ammo so expensive?

Why do you think it should be the same as 9mm? The latter is much more popular and production is far higher.

Nothing is more expensive than .38 Special ammo except when you grab 2 boxes of .38 Super that someone put back on the .38 special shelf and you didn't notice the label... oh, and don't own anything chambered in .38 Super.

1) economics 101---supply & demand---

2)why is .380 higher priced higher than 9mm? smaller case, less powder, ----see #1

Nothing is more expensive than .38 Special ammo except when you grab 2 boxes of .38 Super that someone put back on the .38 special shelf and you didn't notice the label... oh, and don't own anything chambered in .38 Super.

We call that a valid reason to buy a 1911 in .38 Super. :)

Or, just sell it for profit, because Super is less common than Special.

9mm is probably the most common round sold so it is cheap to manufacturer in large quantities. 38 is less common. I reload both and the cost to reload 38 is about the same as 9mm.

It's not that revolver shooters shoot less, it's that less people shoot revolvers. Seriously, I'm the only guy my age (mid 30's) that I know who even owns a revolver.

NATO calibers and other government contracted calibers such as 40sw are where the money is, so ammo plants around the world focus there efforts on their production. When Law enforcement agencies switched to semi automatics, the big money contracts went away from the 38spl's production and it became a secondary production caliber for most ammo plants.

Last edited:
It should be about the same as 9mm. Certainly not more than .45acp and other common rounds. But it is. Why???

Because the demand curve is flat and predictable. People don't buy shitloads of .38 so its never overproduced.

Because the demand curve is flat and predictable. People don't buy shitloads of .38 so its never overproduced.

This^

Component weight adds a bit to the price too.
9mm LRN's are generally 115-125gr., while .38's are typically 158gr.
There's also more brass in a .38 sp. casing.

Revolver shooters that shoot a lot- 99% of them reload.

This^

We have a .380, so I get that.

But isn't .38 the most common revolver caliber? Do revolver shooters just not shoot a lot?

I laugh at the price of 380....with all the little pocket guns that came out you would think prices would have come down...oh wait it's a self defense round now.
38spl was in my life time never really cheap.
Also as noted almost everyone I know with revolvers that actually shoot them reload and often cast for them.
Over the years revolver use at the range has gone way down. You see a few LCRs or what ever is the hot pocket revolver is.
I sold my only revolver in the 20 plus years I had it I might have put 250 rounds through it. Most of those where wad cutters. Lee soup cans to be precise. They shot well out to 25 yards.
If the price of 38 or any pistol ammo is high for you it's time to reload.

It's not that revolver shooters shoot less, it's that less people shoot revolvers. Seriously, I'm the only guy my age (mid 30's) that I know who even owns a revolver.

you need new friends!

38spl can be found for approaching 9mm costs, white box.

Really?

I'm not much older than you, and I've got ten. They've definitely got their place in any collection.

We have a .380, so I get that.

But isn't .38 the most common revolver caliber? Do revolver shooters just not shoot a lot?

They reload a lot. It's a pretty easy round to reload, and it's easier to keep your brass when it doesn't get flung out of the ejection port.

Back
Top Bottom