Why I Carry a Gun!

I got this in an email today:

Why I Carry a Gun!

My old grandpa once said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.
I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because, unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
"Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'."

..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is 4 to 18 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

I got this in an email today:

Why I Carry a Gun!

My old grandpa once said to me, "Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin'.
I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy. I carry a gun because, when I die and go to Heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because, unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
"Police Protection" is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves. Police do not protect you from crime; they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'."

..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is 4 to 18 minutes.

This makes it's way on to the board about once every other month. Here are the things I've always wondered about.

Huh? I know that the Mujaha..mujahade....mujahe...terrorists, get 100 some odd virgins when they die. I didn't know that Wasps get to be cowboys. And seriously now, is that what you want to be in heaven? I gotta tell you, I'm leaning towards the virgins...[smile]
they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Really? I was under the impression that they actually just give you the phone number of one of those "environmental clean-up places if you're lucky. One of the NES LEO's can chime in but I'm pretty sure they don't have anything to do with cleaning, calling or otherwise. I think they just leave and if you're lucky enough not to have to go with them, it's just you and the bloodstains when all is said and done.

Huh? I know that the Mujaha..mujahade....mujahe...terrorists, get 100 some odd virgins when they die. I didn't know that Wasps get to be cowboys. And seriously now, is that what you want to be in heaven? I gotta tell you, I'm leaning towards the virgins...

What they don't tell the muslims is the virgins are all men

of the three times i've ever had to dial 911 if the criminal was really intent on killing or seriously injuring the victim they would have all been killed or seriously injured.

in one case the local police department was within sprinting distance of the scene but by the time i'd bounced through the state and then local 911 myself and four other dudes went and chased the guy away from the woman he was attacking. she was injured but not severly--we all decided we needed to step in because he would have definitely messed her up. the guy got away but the cops did end up picking him up a few days later.

the fact of the matter is that there will ALWAYS be a delay from when you hang up the phone and when the officer arrives unless he happens to be driving by your exact location and witness the crime in progress. i carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the people who could use those few minutes to do serious harm to us.

Really? I was under the impression that they actually just give you the phone number of one of those "environmental clean-up places if you're lucky. One of the NES LEO's can chime in but I'm pretty sure they don't have anything to do with cleaning, calling or otherwise. I think they just leave and if you're lucky enough not to have to go with them, it's just you and the bloodstains when all is said and done.

Well, that's roughly correct - at least in my day - in the sense that we didn't mop up anyone or anything. Depending on the scene, the EMTs pronounced and left (usually discarding their stuff there), and then the ME would pick up and if mess enough, we called the FD to hose the place down (outside).

Inside? Yeah, you were on your own and if the scene was an open case, it was secured and you'd have to stay somewhere else or the place was closed (depending on location).

We did do a lot of calling back in the day, I can' speak for the Only Ones today. [wink]

I think it "clean up the mess" was meant figuritively, not literally [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom