• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why don't people just listen?

I don't know if this has been passed around. But this is just nuts. If this lady just would listen, this would have never have happened.

Any does she really think that it's against the law for her to be on radar when the officer is moving? How do people get so dumb? I guess someone just says that it's truth and people will listen.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/news/video/taser_video3a.html

Sometime I just don't understand people.

Being stupid is not a criminal act, regardless of how annoying it is. I can see how those two big officers could feel threatened by that small woman and I'm glad my tax dollars are now paying for her housing, food, medical and legal fees to keep that hardened criminal off the streets. It was for the children, after all.

When the officer tells you to get out of the car, that's not a suggestion and it's not a request. You're gonna get out of the car. It's just a matter of how much it's gonna hurt.

Stupid hurts.

First of all, I am a former LEO. However, I will say that I am no longer impressed with our state of policing (or, police state - however you want to refer to it).

Like I said, I'm so glad our tax dollars are paying to keep that hardened criminal off the streets. There's a hell of a lot more important things to do than tazing a 98 pound woman for speeding. Regardless of how stupid and annoying she was.

Well, it wasn't exactly just for speeding. That was the reason for the initial stop, but the reason they arrested her was because whe was driving after her license had been suspended. If you're not going to arrest for that, then why bother having drivers licenses in the first place?

Now, assuming that you're with me that she should be arrested, what do you do when she refuses to put down her cell phone and exit the vehicle?
  1. * Say, "Well then, OK, we son't arrest you after all"?
    * Try to wrestle her out of the vehicle without either of you getting injured, her grabbing your weapon, or her putting the car in gear (she'd also refused to turn off the engine)?
    * Giver her the billy up-side the head?
    * Pepper spray her and hope that she isn't stoned or otherwise able to fight through it?
    * Two in the center of mass and one in the head?

derek said:
KMaurer said:
* Two in the center of mass and one in the head?

Works for me!

Good to go here, also.

Now, to address the suspended license. Why was it suspended? I ask this because every time I change insurance companies my license gets suspended and I have no clue. Why, you ask? Because the previous company sends a letter to the state saying I have a registered vehicle that I'm not paying insurance on. WRONG! The new company doesn't have an obligation to send info to the state so the only one they get is from the previous company. Get my drift? The only way I know is by doing periodical checks online. The first this haapened was when I tried to rent a car awhile back and found out what was going on. Doesn't matter that you have a current card, it's whatever the f***ing computer spits out. So much for YOUR 4th amendment.

Also,
If you listen to the audio when she asked why she was being arrested the officer said that she took a swing at his partner when he was trying to get her out of the vehicle. Either way, if her license is suspended for a clerical error the she should be more than willing to put her damn phone down, turn off the engine, and follow ALL the officers instructions without incident to straighten this out and avoid any unnecessary headaches.

Adam

Yea, maybe it's because I grew up in the south. And you were taught to yes sir and yes mame every officer that spoke to you.

But, like Adam said. She took a swing at the officer.

I have to say, there are some LEOs that get a power complex when they have the uniform on. But from all the ones that I've met, for the most part they are just normal guys doing a job.

Now, Me...I have to say that I would nervous walking up on ANY person that I pulled over by myself. And I would be afraid that I woudl pepper every person that made a sudden move when I was at the window.

Ma'm, license and reg please.

Ok. (she reaches in her purse)

HEY! <spray>

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

The world isn't like it was when I was a kid. Now you never know who you're walking up on. Hell, I don't know. But I would rather him taze her becuase she took a swing than pop her back in the snot box.

A couple of points from someone who was a PT PO for 18 years:

- If you are polite (yes sir/ma'am) to the officer the chances are that you will be treated the same way by most officers. This CAN make the difference between a verbal warning or a written ticket in many cases.

- Making car stops is the scariest thing (except for domestics) that a PO can do. You just never know what you're going to get into. We may stop someone for blowing a stop sign, but they could be wanted for murder somewhere! [Real example some years ago: MSP toured thru the rest area on I-95 in Attleboro in the early morning hours. A guy was sleeping in his car and the trooper just wanted to check and ask him if he was OK. The guy took a wild shot at the trooper and took off. Turns out that he was wanted for murdering a NJ State Trooper! The guy later stops at a house in my town (at almost 11PM) and asks the home owner if he can come in and use the home owner's phone due to some alleged "car problem".]

- In the Northeast, we don't typically want the driver/passengers out of the car, unless we are making an arrest. Easier to control them in the vehicle rather than loose on the side of the road. [In other parts of the country, they seem to think differently and most often do get people out of the car and even push for a vehicle search regardless of what the stop was for.]

I agree with just about everything that has been said here. Len, you're absolutely correct, the most volatile - domestic, the most vulnerable - routine car stop.

Being polite and respectful from the get-go is also a smart thing. My gripe is not with any individual officer. Rather, it's with the current state of affairs they are enforcing. When LE is tasked with enforcing more and more laws that directly violate our rights then they become the source of resentment because they are the ones we will encounter first.

Those who refuse to remember history are doomed to repeat it. Maybe there is no other way. Maybe there is no way to stop the circle from completing itself.

Personally, I have NO empathy for the Bimbo. She was 100% WRONG.

I also am NOT impressed with the LEO's behavior, either. Excessive force, no matter how you slice it.

And always remember the rule: "Two wrongs don't make a right."

Excessive force, no matter how you slice it.
Ok. So how does the officer get her out of the car to arrest her?

Reach and risk having her drive off with him half in the car? That's killed a number of officers.

OC spray?

Baton?

Gun?

M1911 said:
Excessive force, no matter how you slice it.
Ok. So how does the officer get her out of the car to arrest her?

Reach and risk having her drive off with him half in the car? That's killed a number of officers.

OC spray?

Baton?

Gun?

I vote grab her by the hair. [twisted] Only of course if the taser didnt work.

I think Tony just summed it up. There are ways to get the job done, short of using the Taser. I'm not an LEO, so I wouldn't know them all. Tony can enlighten us on this, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom