• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why does the NRA love me so much?

Joe G

NES Member
I just got back from vacation and picked up the mail. In the bundle were two personal invitations from Wayne La Pierre -- one to join the Rough Riders, and one to join the First in Freedom.

I don't know what I did to deserve such an honor from them. They seem to have disregarded my "I'm not sending you more money until you stop compromising" responses that I send back with every beg letter. How many different gimmicks can they come up with to try to separate the unsuspecting from their bucks?

I have to say that I am a life member and used to be a big contributor. After the Neal Knox split I see them more like the politicians they lobby, playing their members and the cause to maintain their power and collect more money. If I thought they were truly dedicated I would be more active, but time and time again I see them willing to compromise. Rather than support them I send my money to GOAL and GOA. They can keep their Rough Riders and First in Freedom clubs for the members that are drinking their cool-aid.

You too? Oh darn. I thought it was only me they loved so much they overflow my mailbox with junk mail.

[sad]

I'm still waiting on my pen made from 2 30-06 shells for renewing my membership early over 5 months ago. [thinking]

If you do not want to receive mail from them, simply call them and have them put you on the "do not mail" list. I'm a life member and got tired off all the crap they send out and ended it with one call

If you do not want to receive mail from them, simply call them and have them put you on the "do not mail" list. I'm a life member and got tired off all the crap they send out and ended it with one call

Good idea. But the NRA's junk mail should be defaulted to opt-out.

Seriously, the money required to fund their mail blitzes would be better spent on actually defending our rights or trying to get new recruits (among other things).

Good idea. But the NRA's junk mail should be defaulted to opt-out.

Seriously, the money required to fund their mail blitzes would be better spent on actually defending our rights or trying to get new recruits (among other things).

this.

i figured that at least with things they way they are now that once you signed up as a life member the spam would stop immediately.

Not only do they send me spam, they call me fairly frequently and ask/harangue me for money as well. I finally asked them not to call. [angry]
My membership dues is all I really want to do right now...

ace57

Lol, I got a call a few days ago saying "Hello David, this is Bob from the NRA...I'm just giving you a call to see if you'd be willing to renew your membership."

I promptly responded that I didn't know what I needed to renew, and before I could finish my sentence, he went on a shpiel about our rights and yadda yadda yadda and "Don't you realize that by renewing your membership for just one more year, you could help make an difference?!"

I then asked if he was done interrupting me, to which he said apologized, "but I just think..." and I stopped him and said he was interrupting me again even though he said he was done. Then I informed him that I was in fact a Life Member, and he looked me up and said "Oh, you're right...Well, did you want to..." and I just hung up on him. What an effin' waste of resources [thinking]

Lol, I got a call a few days ago saying "Hello David, this is Bob from the NRA...I'm just giving you a call to see if you'd be willing to renew your membership."

I promptly responded that I didn't know what I needed to renew, and before I could finish my sentence, he went on a shpiel about our rights and yadda yadda yadda and "Don't you realize that by renewing your membership for just one more year, you could help make an difference?!"

I then asked if he was done interrupting me, to which he said apologized, "but I just think..." and I stopped him and said he was interrupting me again even though he said he was done. Then I informed him that I was in fact a Life Member, and he looked me up and said "Oh, you're right...Well, did you want to..." and I just hung up on him. What an effin' waste of resources [thinking]

... and then they wonder why more gun owners don't sign up.

Sucks to have to say "Yeah, you should be a member, but make sure you put a fake phone number on the form, and call up HQ and opt out of the mailings...." [sad2]

-Mike

I love how they make you listen to a prerecorded message without giving you a chance of saying whether or not you are interested or have the time right then. I have "opted out" but still get calls from time to time. I wonder who they think they will impress with such high pressure sales tactics ?? [rolleyes]

I did the opt-out thing years ago. They seem to have had a memory lapse. Maybe they couldn't stand the thought of me missing these great new clubs.

Seriously, save the money and put the effort towards not compromising!

Boy, was I pissed when I got a watch and their expatriation for a donation. I might not have been as pissed as i was If the watch had actually worked and I already wasn't on an extent payment plan for a life membership. I think that you either have a life membership or on a extended payment plan, they should just leave you alone with the donations.

Joe G ~ Thanks for starting this thread. I wanted to make a statement to the same effect a few months ago but thought that some of the folks would think I was a turncoat. I just wish there was a checks & balances dept. that would keep the “fat” trimmed and the NRA on track. Perhaps there is and I just haven’t heard about it?

I did the same years ago. Rarely ever get anything from them.
GC

The NRA wishes that 2 groups would just go away. And its too bad. They are:
1) open carry people. like I've said before, I had to correct our local NRA rep when he refered to the Connecticut Permit to carry Pistols and Revolvers as a CCW permit. I told him that there was nothing in the statute that said anything about concealed. His comment to me was something like "you aren't one of those people, are you??

2) Class 3 people. The NRA rather pretend that suppressors, SBRs and machineguns did not exist.

Did the folks who were crucified after that tragic death in MA at the machine gun shoot get any help from the NRA?

I actually don't know. Did they?

Don

nra

I dont know whether your stupid or just not aware of the money that the NRA gets.georg soro gives millians to million moms and sara bradys group.theNRA has to beg its members,and mass mailings dont cost that much but they have to send them to get a 15/20 % return.If your not happy join GOA they are no comprimise they dont get any results either.who is suing to get the cities to comply with the SCOTUS only NRA and SAF.how about you get the laws changed in Mass.your all complict in losing them.where were you when we filled the state house.

I gave their NRA-ILA group money once.. and now they send me things asking for money money at least twice a month. I don't mind giving once in awhile, but a monthly contribution? I don't think so. I joined GOA recently too so I'm just waiting for them to start asking too...

Umm - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the NRA is good. How much do you think it takes to fight all of the battles they do?
I know everyone thinks their $25 - $35 membership (the price of 1 box of ammo) should cover it - but it doesn’t. Out of that $25 they send you a monthly magazine.
Maybe the next time your phone rings - you can actually give them $10. They give you a membership for $25 because they hope and need you someday to really help. They can’t afford not to call.
Court cases are not free, lobbyists are not free.
I got my life membership 5 years ago. And I don’t have the attitude “I’ve done my part for life – never call me”
As happy as I am to make my donations to cover your freedoms – why don’t you help?
Upgrade to a life membership. Upgrade to an Endowment, Patron and Benefactor membership. Contribute to their political action funds.
Every one of you should WANT to give more. Not feel hassled that the NRA had to ask you.

Last edited:
Umm - I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the NRA is good. How much do you think it takes to fight all of the battles they do?
I know everyone thinks their $25 - $35 membership (the price of 1 box of ammo) should cover it - but it doesn’t. Out of that $25 they send you a monthly magazine.
Maybe the next time your phone rings - you can actually give them $10. They give you a membership for $25 because they hope and need you someday to really help. They can’t afford not to call.
I got my life membership 5 years ago. And I don’t have the attitude “I’ve done my part for life – never call me”
As happy as I am to make my donations to cover your freedoms – why don’t you help?
Upgrade to a life membership. Upgrade to an Endowment, Patron and Benefactor membership. Contribute to their political action funds.
Every one of you should WANT to give more. Not feel hassled that the NRA had to ask you.
Fox, did you read all the post in this thread ? Most of the posters don't disagree with the NRA needing more money.......they just don't like the TACTICS the NRA uses to do so. My wife and I "Opted Out" of the mailings and phone calls a few years ago. We still get calls 4-5 times a year. I don't mind an honest mistake but the high pressure sales tactics and them not listening to us is getting old. No wonder people discontinue their memberships.[rolleyes] I'd love to be able to upgrade our memberships or offer them more money but unfortunately not working full time this year and both of us having been in the hospital we can't afford any luxuries. After listening to the prerecorded message and explaining why I can't afford to give this year why does the deaf individual on the other end continue to ask me if I can give a lesser amount ? What part of " Can't afford this year" do they not grasp ? [thinking]

And thousands of pounds of crap mailed out to members that don't want it, isn't free, either. [laugh]

-Mike

I don't get any phone calls and get solicitation mailings maybe 3-6 times a year.

I think the cost of the actual mailings is probably pretty low. Bulk mailings by nonprofit groups cost about 8-12 cents apiece I believe. Add a couple more cents for the envelope and contents.

Back
Top Bottom