• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do we obsess about scope rings?

You’re correct up until you put a level on the turret cap. This is a moving part that isn’t directly connected to the reticle. The bottom of the turret housing is better but still there is no guarantee that it’s in perfect relation.

Spin your turret and check level every 90* I’d be surprised if they all showed exact same thing.

Also looking level and being level are two different things. If I eyeball level my reticle always looks slightly canted to the right but a plumb bob don’t lie.
Agree with you 100% , and this is exactly why my primary reference prior to breaking the shot is my rifle bubble level, not the crosshair. My eyes suck, and i'm not confident I can consistiently achieve "plumb level" viewing the crosshairs only repeatedly. centering the bubble is a more consistent pre-shot condition. Shooting 600 yds on a grassy dirt firing line I constantly have to keep adjusting my rifle for perpendicularity as my Atlas bipod has the capability to adjust cant, and what can happen is the rifle recoil bounce can drive one bipod leg deeper into the ground than the opposite leg.

Agree with you 100% , and this is exactly why my primary reference prior to breaking the shot is my rifle bubble level, not the crosshair. My eyes suck, and i'm not confident I can consistiently achieve "plumb level" viewing the crosshairs only repeatedly. centering the bubble is a more consistent pre-shot condition.
Do you dial or hold for either wind or elevation? If so without a level reticle it’s going to be off. I agree checking your level before the shot is critical but if it’s not giving you a level reticle it’s not doing anything.

I just started playing around with the Send It one and liking it in practice but have yet to shoot in competition. I shoot both eyes open and in this orientation I can actually see the lights in the lower right of my reticle without switching my focus away from the reticle.
B1D617DF-0C83-46A4-8686-5970AA264130.jpeg

Do you dial or hold for either wind or elevation? If so without a level reticle it’s going to be off. I agree checking your level before the shot is critical but if it’s not giving you a level reticle it’s not doing anything.

I just started playing around with the Send It one and liking it in practice but have yet to shoot in competition. I shoot both eyes open and in this orientation I can actually see the lights in the lower right of my reticle without switching my focus away from the reticle.
View attachment 709390
Typically at Pelham's 600 yd range we have to deal with a hostile multi-directional wind. I ocassionally try wind holdovers but seem to never produce consistient results. We just shoot Fclass comps just for fun, and always plenty of time within shot relays so i've had better luck shooting in between wind gusts. As for elev, I never hold over always dial my come-ups . I like your Send it device, that's a really interesting piece , I too shoot with both eyes open as I try to also observe the left side wind flags while sighted on target. My Savage 12 F-TR .308 rig

IMG_20220423_212837784.jpg

Tou guys who can shoot with both eyes open , man I can never do it. Gets my eyes and head all bonkers and head ache . Makes it hard to focus on the + also.

Who obsseses ? Slap on a set of Warne Maxima's, use some blue loctite, done . Best quality rings for not crazy money imo .
This.........is all I use. Even for .22 rifles. I only use steel mounts and rings.

I've never had an issue, and have mounted 15 or more setups over the years. Ive taken some of those rifles and shot 400 yards with them.

Back
Top Bottom