Why do people want to see an LTC for a pre-ban mag deal?

Looking at threads for pre-ban mags for sale i see a lot of sellers stating that they want to see your LTC. Why?
It’s a felony worth 2 1/2-10 years in the poke to sell a LCFD to someone who does not hold an LTC A. Its also another 1-10 years if the mag is not preban. Plastic with metal springs inside are very dangerous objects.

Chap 269 sec 10f
Any person who sells, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, gives or otherwise transfers any large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device, both as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, to a person 18 years of age or over, except as permitted under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years

Chap 140 sec 121
'Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or...

Chap 140 sec 131e
(a) rifles, shotguns and feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of: (i) a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B; or (ii) a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131; or (iii) valid proof of exempt status under section 129C; provided, however, that large capacity rifles and shotguns and large capacity feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under said section 131; and provided further, that no rifle or shotgun or ammunition or ammunition feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 18 years of age; and provided further, that no large capacity rifle or shotgun or large capacity feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 21 years of age;

Chap 140 sec 131m
No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

It’s a felony worth 2 1/2-10 years in the poke to sell a LCFD to someone who does not hold an LTC A. Its also another 1-10 years if the mag is not preban. Plastic with metal springs inside are very dangerous objects.

Chap 269 sec 10f
Any person who sells, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, gives or otherwise transfers any large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device, both as defined in section 121 of chapter 140, to a person 18 years of age or over, except as permitted under this section or chapter 140, shall be punished by imprisonment in a state prison for not less than two and one-half years nor more than ten years

Chap 140 sec 121
'Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or...

Chap 140 sec 131e
(a) rifles, shotguns and feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of: (i) a valid firearm identification card issued under section 129B; or (ii) a valid Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under section 131; or (iii) valid proof of exempt status under section 129C; provided, however, that large capacity rifles and shotguns and large capacity feeding devices therefor may be so purchased only upon presentment of a Class A or Class B license to carry firearms issued under said section 131; and provided further, that no rifle or shotgun or ammunition or ammunition feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 18 years of age; and provided further, that no large capacity rifle or shotgun or large capacity feeding device therefor shall be sold to any person less than 21 years of age;

Chap 140 sec 131m
No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

I don't know whether to [rofl] or [puke].

I have an ammo box on my garage shelves, labelled "CT Mags". In it are half a dozen 10 round G17/34 mags loaded with hollowpoints, and half a dozen 10 round PMAGS for my AR-15 - loaded with green tip. When I pack to go north, I swap out those mags for the standard capacity mags that I normally keep in the truck.

It's just stupid.

II have an ammo box on my garage shelves, labelled "CT Mags". In it are half a dozen 10 round G17/34 mags loaded with hollowpoints, and half a dozen 10 round PMAGS for my AR-15 - loaded with green tip. When I pack to go north, I swap out those mags for the standard capacity mags that I normally keep in the truck.
Is your AR pre-ban registered under the CT grandfathering? If not, why even bother trying to be legal with the mags if you are taking the AR?

I want to know why NH stores check ID for ammo purchases, NH stores should not be enforcing MA law

+1
I bought a couple boxes of .44 Special a week or two ago from Shooter's Outpost in Hookset.
Kid behind the counter asked for an ID. I didn't give him a hard time and showed him my retired military ID as it was the first thing in my wallet--had just come from an ID card appointment. That and he did ask for "ID".

As he was ringing it up, I asked what the deal is with the ID request besides store policy. Another clerk said it was to verify residency(kinda funny because a retired ID doesn't have an address on it). I thanked them and left with my purchase.

I'm not shopping there again unless it is to pick up a Blue Label Glock. Ammo doesn't have federal residency requirements.

Is your AR pre-ban registered under the CT grandfathering? If not, why even bother trying to be legal with the mags if you are taking the AR?

Neither.

After Sandy Hook, when it became clear what legislation CT was going to pass, I bought three ARs in CT and declared them. They're in a safe up there, along with the "high capacity" mags I declared at the same time and the declaration pages.

One of the boxes that lives in my truck has AR and Glock magazines in it. I may or may not have an AR in the truck, but the magazines are always there.

I swap them before I leave so that while I'm in CT, that box is stocked with CT legal mags. When I come home in the fall, those mags go back on the shelf and the box gets its regular contents.

I didn't mean to come across as saying you didn't have a proper ltc or anything. I meant It as are you afraid of privacy? Sorry if there was confusion. Reread it and it looked different than what I meant.

Thanks for the clarification. TBH, when I first read your comment it "sounded" kinda a$$holy to me before I re-read it a couple of times.

Yeah, I am kinda concerned about privacy. It's got my address and date of birth on it. It's one thing to show it to a FFL who's a business, but showing stuff like that to non-businesses makes me a little concerned. (I spent a few years working cyber security for a large financial company where I picked up this particular paranoia)

It’s a felony worth 2 1/2-10 years in the poke to sell a LCFD to someone who does not hold an LTC A.
That's why you should transfer them in front of Target at Pheasant Lane Mall. [rofl]
Jurisdiction, bay-bay.

Chap 140 sec 121
'Large capacity feeding device'', (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition
Is lamp pipe containing .22LR a "feed strip"?
Amazon product ASIN B008UWATVK
I bought a couple boxes of .44 Special a week or two ago from Shooter's Outpost in Hookset.
Kid behind the counter asked for an ID. I didn't give him a hard time and showed him my retired military ID as it was the first thing in my wallet--had just come from an ID card appointment. That and he did ask for "ID".

As he was ringing it up, I asked what the deal is with the ID request besides store policy. Another clerk said it was to verify residency(kinda funny because a retired ID doesn't have an address on it). I thanked them and left with my purchase.
Had to show ID for an ammo buy?
That's nothing.

All opinions aside (yes magazines restrictions are silly). If one lives in a state that requires LTC/some form of credentialing or licensure, in the first place for fire arm ownership. Then it seems logical that for items that serve little or no practical use absent a firearm (like say a magazine) that asking for visual verification that you are in fact the person on that LTC and that it is in fact valid, is reasonable. Seems ligit to me. Plus a seller should be able to ask for what ever they want, its the buyers choice if they want to oblige.

All opinions aside (yes magazines restrictions are silly). If one lives in a state that requires LTC/some form of credentialing or licensure, in the first place for fire arm ownership. Then it seems logical that for items that serve little or no practical use absent a firearm (like say a magazine) that asking for visual verification that you are in fact the person on that LTC and that it is in fact valid, is reasonable. Seems ligit to me. Plus a seller should be able to ask for what ever they want, its the buyers choice if they want to oblige.

Come live in a free state for a couple of years - see if your thoughts about this change.

I lived in CT for forty years, I've been in Georgia now for five. I went from looking at GA laws and thinking "really?" to looking at CT laws and thinking "f*** you".

I want to know why NH stores check ID for ammo purchases, NH stores should not be enforcing MA law
Could it be that as a FEDERAL licensed firearms seller they are REQUIRED to only sell the items legally allowed by the buyer's state of residency? Same as the types of rifles they can sell you must comply with your state's laws?

Could it be that as a FEDERAL licensed firearms seller they are REQUIRED to only sell the items legally allowed by the buyer's state of residency? Same as the types of rifles they can sell you must comply with your state's laws?

RI LGS I've been to don't ask for shit for ammo or components... other than payment..

Nope. Only thing they restrict is firearms (Federal definition), not parts and accessories. CFR Title 27 Sec. 478.29

+1

I'm not shopping there again unless it is to pick up a Blue Label Glock. Ammo doesn't have federal residency requirements.

Shooter's is a bad example for NH LGS and statism.

While 'his stores, his rules' applies, he licks Maura's compliance jackboots - because the fear of an illegal yute from a MA dump city will come up there and get ammo from them.

Then they will have a tyrannical overfunded .gov crime syndicate with an agenda to sue them into Chapter 11 if said yutes commit gunz violence in the fine commiewealth and it traces back

Neither.

After Sandy Hook, when it became clear what legislation CT was going to pass, I bought three ARs in CT and declared them. They're in a safe up there, along with the "high capacity" mags I declared at the same time and the declaration pages.

One of the boxes that lives in my truck has AR and Glock magazines in it. I may or may not have an AR in the truck, but the magazines are always there.

I swap them before I leave so that while I'm in CT, that box is stocked with CT legal mags. When I come home in the fall, those mags go back on the shelf and the box gets its regular contents.
Surprised you don't just have two identical boxes, and rotate the whole assembly. Or am I dense, and that's what you said?

Surprised you don't just have two identical boxes, and rotate the whole assembly. Or am I dense, and that's what you said?

I probably could. But the "box" is a heavy duty plastic molded one with external lock and foam interior that I cut out to hold the mags - and there are other things in that box such as shotgun rounds and knives.

Rifles yes; other items no.

If you think the dealer is being unreasonable refusing a MA sale, you can always offer the owner a contract guaranteeing to indemnify the dealer from any legal fees incurred as a result of action by any MA official or agency. If the transaction is truly risk free, you should have no problem doing so.

If you think the dealer is being unreasonable refusing a MA sale, you can always offer the owner a contract guaranteeing to indemnify the dealer from any legal fees incurred as a result of action by any MA official or agency. If the transaction is truly risk free, you should have no problem doing so.
No mention of fines, I see...

Back
Top Bottom