Why do people need so many mags?

The OP is trolling. Why would any member here ask this question? Unless they were trying to incite something. Or something else.

Maybe it's just me, but when I read the OP's original question, the thought occurred to me that the question was conceived in order to deliver the OP's intrinsic message. That message being that the OP disdains the idea of free people being free to own as many frigg'n mags as they damn well please.

The OP is trolling. Why would any member here ask this question? Unless they were trying to incite something. Or something else.

Maybe it's just me, but when I read the OP's original question, the thought occurred to me that the question was conceived in order to deliver the OP's intrinsic message. That message being that the OP disdains the idea of free people being free to own as many frigg'n mags as they damn well please.

Or the guy/gal is curious and doesn't get it. Kinda like I don't get blitz's affinity for full body rubber suits.

Just saying...

There is also this pesky group of people trying to ban them all the time....

If the last thing alone isn't enough of an incentive, then I don't know what is.

When the Fed AWB passed, I was one of the first to know due to the MA FIREARMS mailing list. I ran into Four Seasons, Collectors Coin Gallery and AAA Police supply and bought hi cap mags for guns I didn't own but wanted in the future. It turned out to be a very good decision.

Because of threats to ban mags and hopes that pre-ban (for the next ban) will be allowed.

Because idiot AGs threaten dealers who sell to MA so buying "when I need it" is very difficult, thus if traveling or you see a deal, you snap it up.

I wish I could find more mags.

Finding reasonably priced, lawful capacity mags for my pistol is damn near impossible

I also don't think there is such a thing as "too many mags" nor have I ever seen them lose value over the years.

Hell, if I could get pre-ban HK USP 40 mags for less than 50 bucks a pop from the few MA stores that might actually have them, I'd have at least 10. Even finding them at $50 can be a challenge.

For the most part, it's what these folks said.

I used to live in MA, and I remember the agony I had to go through to find pre-ban mags for guns I owned. If you don't care about price, condition or other features (capacity, finish of the metal, OEM vs. after market, etc.) then you can probably find whatever you need in MA. If you want something to operate in your gun reliably enough to trust your life to, you need to be picky.

I was a wee lad when the 94 AWB passed, but I remember the frustration of older family members who were stuck with some arbitrary limit. From everything I've read and heard about those years for US gun owners, it was very likely that you were stuck with whatever you had.

I watched several videos of the LA riots, and tried to imagine myself facing a crowd of violent looters with not nearly enough immediately available ammo.

I survived the New England ice storm where we were out of power for more than a week, knowing help was far off but the people kicking in doors to rob weren't.

I read many accounts on internet forums of people who survived southern hurricanes, one in particular that I still remember. The guy spent a month and a half living in a tent in his front yard after Katrina, with a hunting shotgun and 1/2 a box of shells. He did a great job conveying the sickening feeling he had as he saw just how helpless he would really be if any of the roaming gangs wanted to have their way with him & his family. In his area it was so bad that the cops weren't patrolling at night, but lots of other people were.

In the hundreds of OIS videos I've seen, post-shooting debriefings/reviews I've read, and candid conversations I've had with BTDT gunfighters, I have never found an instance where someone said "I shouldn't have had those extra magazines." I have read and heard of several where what they had wasn't enough. I recently heard someone say "The guy who carries 6 or 7 mags probably ran out of ammo once, and decided that he never wanted to know that feeling again."

Oh, and I moved out of Mass. to a state where "high capacity" means the magazine doesn't fit flush with the mag well. [smile]

So defensive for such a simple question...perhaps we have some SHORTcomings elsewhere we're trying to make up for?

[rolleyes] Thank you Sarah Brady.

damn I left the door open

Actually, that's a picture of one of the safes of an NES forum member.

Haven "spoken" with the OP via PM about this very subject just prior to his post, I disagree with the troll characterization. He was genuinely interested in why people lay in so many mags. He's a "one or two mags per gun" guy, and I think he was was surprised to find I was a "15-20 mags per gun" guy.

Not every gun owner has the same background or experiences.

This is the northeast,and specifically NES,where there are a lot of liberal voting gun owners that are really concerned with what you have,why you have it,and how much you have.In this warped sense of reality,they can't understand why someone needs something if they don't see a reason for it.

Last edited:
When Obama got elected I bought about 15,000 .224 bullets, lots of brass, tons of primers and powder (that I keep in a legal, out of state location). Not that I feared the end of the world, but just wasn't sure if the supplies were going to dry up. The mags I bought were for the same reason.

Dave

The primary answer is ...."Becaue I can!"

There ARE practical reasons though. I've at least one gun that is out of production. I was caught with only one mag, and when it broke, I had to pay $100.00 for a replacement and another $100.00 for a spare, because of their scarcity.

And as has been mentioned, there are the needs to maximize shooting vs reloading time at the range, AND the prepartion for zombie hoardes...both excellent reasons!

For me:

1) Buy an AR, comes with 2 20 round mags
2) Decide my AR should have at least 6 mags, so buy 4 more
3) Get a deal on more AR mags (Vietnam era 20 rounders for $10 ea if I buy 10)
4) Decide that I have enough mags I should buy a second AR

Repeat.

lol, love that logic.

for me...

mags break and i live in MA... never know when we wont be allowed to buy them at all. I ahve about 15 to 20 AR mags and 1 & 1/2 ARs... i shoot the AR a lot. I like going to the range and not having to reload while @ the range. plus, its much easier when I make the kids reload the mags. I also have a mini 14 and only have like 5 mags for it... I rarely shoot it, but it is 5 X's more reliable (not as accurate) then the AR. So its a great SHTF gun, but mags are pricey and hard to come by... so...

I also have a couple hand guns that i dont ahve nearly enough mags for.... again, its a money thing.

I like to go to the range and not having to reload while there.
I also like the idea that I have two sets of mag pouches at the ready if the SHTF. one for me, one for the wife.
besides, it gives me something to buy at the gun shop when i am window shopping... hate leaving empty handed... and the wife doesnt complain as much when i come home with $60 in mags then when I come home with a $600+ gun.

Back
Top Bottom