• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do I keep getting logged off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I frequently have 3 or 4 web sites open at any one time bouncing between them. Seems that if I have no activity here for a couple of minutes (haven't actually timed it) I get logged off and have to resign on every time I come back. It wouldn't be a problem if the "remember me" function worked (works fine with all my other sights), but it doesn't and I have to retype every time. Any ideas how to extend my inactivity time or get the remember me function to work? My laptop is configured to save sign ons and passwords.

This also will some times happen to me. I'll be typing out a long reply to a thread (I'm a very slow at the key board) then I go & hit post reply to find out I've been logged off? Very frustrating to loose all that text.

Ya, I tend to be bouncing around on the net. And when I come back to see if anyone has posted to my thread I am logged off.

Might I suggest copying your text before hitting enter? That way if you do get logged off you can cust paste it when you log back in. I have had that happen to me where you type a big long reply or thread starter and you loose it. Guess what? When that happens I just don't reply again. I'm not typing something twice~

yup, I have no issues saving my sign on with any other sites. I could handle having to resign on for inactivity, if the default time was 30 minutes or so but it's like 5.

Last edited:
I forget what it says exactly but next to or under the login, it should say remember me or keep me logged in, tick that box and you should be all set.

Nope, tried all combinations of ckecking that box, checking it before or after typing. Doesn't solve the problem

Clear your cookies (or just delete the NES one) and try again.

It's a bug caused by the size of the cookie growing too large... combination of bad browser mechanics/bad programming by the vbulletin guys.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll look into a few more things.

I've just made a few changes regarding the cookies - which I assume are the problem one way or another - let me know if anything is better/worse.

This also will some times happen to me. I'll be typing out a long reply to a thread (I'm a very slow at the key board) then I go & hit post reply to find out I've been logged off? Very frustrating to loose all that text.

There is a little trick, that sometimes works for this, btw.... if you go back to replying to the post, and then right click on the text entry box, and hit "undo" sometimes all the crap you just typed will miraculously reappear. This has helped me more times than I can count.

-Mike

I've just made a few changes regarding the cookies - which I assume are the problem one way or another - let me know if anything is better/worse.

I logged out and cleared all cookies. I then typed in my name and pass word, check remember me, and left the site alone. I came back 18 minutes and was still logged in. A good sign. I then logged out, cleared cookies and went to re log in. I was not remembered~

Last edited:
ok this site has been being wierd lately

I log on and i get the thank you for logging on screen then it brings me back to the fourm but im no longer logged in, ive had to click on remeber password just to get in the first time tonigh t

I'll be typing out a long reply to a thread (I'm a very slow at the key board) then I go & hit post reply to find out I've been logged off? Very frustrating to loose all that text.
If I'm typing more than a line or two I will highlight and copy the text to the clipboard. Even if you close and reopen the browser the text is still there to paste in. /thread drift On topic, no login problems on two machines.

Those of you having troubles with logging out - are you accessing NES via www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/ , or without the WWW , or some other combination? Just trying to run through some possible scenarios here. Troubleshooting cookies is a PITA and I can't duplicate any issues across two computers and six browsers.

You're certain that you have your browser configured to accept cookies?

I'm fairly sure, many other sites allow the "remember me" function and I dont get logged out for inactivity of around 5 minutes. I tested the logging out and can now stay logged if for 15 minutes with out a problem.

Good deal. 15 minutes is the inactivity timeout without "remember me" enabled - so anything beyond that wouldn't be expected. Let me know if any other issues crop up.

Thanks for your help Shorty. I can live with having to sign in, but every 5 minutes was kind of a pain. 15 minutes is a good timeframe, that's about how long I am away surfing other sites before floating back here.

Just resurrecting this thread. It has been an ongoing issue. Even with my iPhone and iPad. I have no issues with any other forums. Even after I close my browsers and reopen them. I can open another forum and still be logged in. Unless I clear my history and cookies which I don't do very often. I have been signed into the Glock forum now for weeks. I can go there after days of not visiting it and I am still logged in.

Kind of odd but as soon as I wrote the above post I no longer get logged off. Hope fully that continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom