• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do ak's coast so much?!!

well you can continue to bash them unnecessarily if you see its necessary. It is by no means the best but it gets the job done. Its an AK its not suppose to be a beauty queen. you are not aware of the current market at all. sigas go for about $600 and then you have to dump money and labor into them to convert them, which you will have a better riffle but at a higher cost.

I had one and hundreds on here own them and they work fine.

I won't bash them anymore. i just wanted for OP to know that he doesn't have to settle for piece of crap when there is a decent quality gun that was built the way it was supposed to and it's only 100-150 more than WASR. I was talking about pistol grip saigas already converted not sporterized saigas. those are no longer for sale anywhere but from private hands.

http://www.jgsales.com/saiga-ak-sty...rel,-black-synthetic-stock,-new.-p-63105.html
http://www.jgsales.com/saiga-ak-sty...rel,-black-synthetic-stock,-new.-p-60035.html
http://www.jgsales.com/saiga-ak-style-rifle,-5.45x39,-black-synthetic-stock,-new.-p-63104.html

The accuracy statements are funny to me. I have a mk10 AK that hits 12'' steel at 200m consistently. From the bench or from kneeling. For a battle rifle, that seems perfectly acceptable. Add in all the other great features about an AK and I think they are an awesome choice. Mine came with some tacticool stuff already on it and I paid $700 for mine.

The accuracy statements are funny to me. I have a mk10 AK that hits 12'' steel at 200m consistently. From the bench or from kneeling. For a battle rifle, that seems perfectly acceptable. Add in all the other great features about an AK and I think they are an awesome choice. Mine came with some tacticool stuff already on it and I paid $700 for mine.

Agreed. On top of being able to purchase 1000 rounds for $250, you don't have to break the bank buying ammo for it. I don't even own an AR (nothing against them, I do like them) but I just love the cheap ammo for my AK.

Sucks especially since in many parts of the world you can trade a pair of shoes for a real AK...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

What's with the incessant cleaning? I went like 500-1000 rounds between cleanings. AKs get dirty as ****, too, but I only cleaned those once a year, regardless of round count. [rofl]

-Mike

Srsly. I usually boresnake my AR's and oil the BCG every 2k or so, and I let my AK's rust shut from corrosive ammo before I hit them with hammers to break them free and shoot some more corrosive. They all still go bang every time I ask them too.

Even my expensive guns, I usually just pour oil on the actions before putting them away.

oh please Century built wasr is probably one of the worst if not that worst AK variant you can get.
i just got one and i can't stop vomiting. probably will be selling it shortly what a piece of crap.

I have a hate/hate relationship with the AK platform having owned a few WASRs and a Saiga AK-74.

Why does everyone say WASRs are such garbage? The Saiga was a POS as well in terms of the finishing department. Both of them shot reasonably well.

I still have a WASR left, but am thinking of dumping it.

Chris

I clean my AR every time I shoot it.

It's not that hard.

Same here, but not because the AR is super fragile and needs that level of cleanliness like some contend on here. I just take care of all my tools that way. Even my AK gets cleaned pretty much every time I use it, even though I could run 10 cases through it without a NEED to clean it. I think I enjoy tearing them down almost as much as shooting them, so for me it is not a hassle. If cleaning is a real chore, then you're doing wrong inmo. There are so many things available now to make it a 5 minute or less job, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to keep their fighting implements in top form always.

Not cleaning a firearm after use is carelessness and laziness. There's no excuse for having a dirty gun at home. Lack of maintenance s not excusable. I'm sure every former military/LEO on here will agree.

My AR just makes me mad every time I have to clean it. If I had to sell one the AR would be first to go.

Why do you clean your AR? Been beat to death here, but see Bravo Company Filthy 14. 31,000+ rounds down range and it has been cleaned once, at 26,000. AR's need to be maintained, as in springs and extractors replaced every 3-5k rounds. Cleaning? you clean it if it malfunctions or you don't want your other guns in the safe to get dirty.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

As of this writing, EAG students have 31,165 rounds downrange through Filthy 14. During this evaluation period, it was cleaned once (as in one time), at 26,245 rounds. The end result is that Rack #14 was—and remains—filthy. It is filthy because it has been shot at class. Only at class. Every round that has gone down that barrel has been fired at class, with an average of approximately 1,300 rounds every three days. It has been lubed generously with Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Lube (EWL).
The combination of carbon and lube create (wait for it)…filth. It is so dirty that, while sitting in the rifle rack, it is almost a biohazard. The filth oozes out and contaminates other carbines adjacent to it.
But it is still shooting—and shooting well.

Not cleaning a firearm after use is carelessness and laziness. There's no excuse for having a dirty gun at home. Lack of maintenance s not excusable. I'm sure every former military/LEO on here will agree.

Yeah, maintaining weapons and equipment was par for the course in .mil, but I'm not in any more and don't see the purpose. Do you clean your car every time you drive it? How about your lawn mower? Do you vacuum out your PC every time you log on? A firearm is a tool that is designed to function under normal wear and tear. Not saying you should never clean it, but cleaning after every shoot is just a waste of time.

Last edited:
Who said anything about incessant cleaning? But I hate cleaning that damn thing, and it is necessary. Just thinking about it makes me want to throw it in the classifieds.

If you're here griping about it you're cleaning it too much or care too much about how dirty it is, or isn't, rather. Let me guess, you're one of those people who sits there trying to scrape the carbon off the bolt tail? [laugh]

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's not hard. It just takes a lot more effort and time.

It takes about 5 minutes to clean an AR for "functional purposes". Anything more than that and you probably have OCD.

-Mike

oh please Century built wasr is probably one of the worst if not that worst AK variant you can get.
i just got one and i can't stop vomiting. probably will be selling it shortly what a piece of crap.

The newest ones aren't too bad, they put a Tapco G2 in them which makes the trigger not suck, and most of them shoot straight. Then again my sample rate is "2" so what do I know. My friend could have gotten lucky with his gun, I was surprised at the lack of "dragging a dumpster on rocks" action in his particular gun.

If you want to see crap.... find an AK made by Hesse. I think that was the worst AK I ever held in my hands. Ever.

-Mike

I have a Wasr and don't have any complaints. I didn't get it with the expectation of shooting dimes at 100 yards. I love the original look so I have stuck with iron sights and it will stay that way. It has never jammed or failed to fire. While standing I can still reliably hit the 12"x12" iron target at 100 yards with nearly every shot using tul ammo. And it's fun to shoot and even just as fun to be standing next to someone shooting it and feeling the blast from it.

I remember paying a quarter for a coke in a vending machine and free meals on airplanes. I also remember seeing bins full of Lee-Enfields for und $100 each and 50 rnd boxes of Gold-Dots for under $20. Unless you have a time machine, you are probably going to pay what ever things are selling for on the day you buy it.

Precisely, They weren't always big money. I have a SAR-1 that I paid $279 for brand new in the box. Which is also a far better rifle than a WASR.

I had a WASR for over a year and shot the hell out of it. Never had a malfunction. However, fit and finish were full of suck and the front sight post had a cant to it that didn't allow for a true 100 yard zero even pushed all the way over. It was consistently 2" to the right at 100 yards with the irons. Bottom line, it fired and it was a fine gun for 100 yard plinking, but it wasn't "good quality" by any means.

I replaced the WASR with an Arsenal AK74 and don't regret it for a second. Superb build quality and easily as accurate as my AR, even at 300 yards (the farthest I've shot it). My only issue is with the corrosive 5.45 ammo. That I actually do clean after every shoot because I don't feel like having the piston rod bind up in the gas tube. If I could find non-corrosive ammo (at corrosive prices) I would be all set.

I had a WASR for over a year and shot the hell out of it. Never had a malfunction. However, fit and finish were full of suck and the front sight post had a cant to it that didn't allow for a true 100 yard zero even pushed all the way over. It was consistently 2" to the right at 100 yards with the irons. Bottom line, it fired and it was a fine gun for 100 yard plinking, but it wasn't "good quality" by any means.

I replaced the WASR with an Arsenal AK74 and don't regret it for a second. Superb build quality and easily as accurate as my AR, even at 300 yards (the farthest I've shot it). My only issue is with the corrosive 5.45 ammo. That I actually do clean after every shoot because I don't feel like having the piston rod bind up in the gas tube. If I could find non-corrosive ammo (at corrosive prices) I would be all set.

Like you I have had both...Had I known then what I know now! My arsenal cost a hell of a lot more than my WASR but they both shoot about the same. In the end your paying for a prettier gun. Just my observation.

Some variations it's much much cheaper to build then it is to buy.

The two I'm working on right now are gonna cost me less then half the cost of buying one . The full size psl , with a 100% receiver , over paying for a barrel. Plus all the tools I bought its still gonna be cheaper then buying one .
The ak54r I'm working on from a prebent 80 is gonna cost me a 3rd of the cost of the psl with ak style furniture Atlantic firearms is selling.

1654 rounds through my AR, hasn't been cleaned yet..... just oiled....
461 through my AK.... not cleaned since i built it.....

3033 rounds through my 10/22, i cleaned it once, after the first 100 rounds or so because i added the auto bolt release plate and did some trigger work.....

clean 'em when they stop running, run patches and snakes and shit down your barrel and you'll wear it out faster than shooting it....

Full Disclosure: i'm former military who used to have to spit shine his damned M16A2 after every range trip..... eff that....

I didn't build mine from a flat because of heat treating. I'm not set up for that at all, whatsoever. Mine went together as easy as it is possible. AK builder with a chrome lined barrel, and southern armament for the receiver. I need to get my trigger straightened out though... My disconnecter only grabs the hammer about 14 out of 15 times.

are you using the hammer spring that came with the kit or an aftermarket one?
one of the legs popped of the trigger on mine and the thing wouldn't lock the hammer back... a weak or out of position spring can screw the system up...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom