Why did you buy your first gun?

Never grew up around guns, in fact my family was mostly anti until recently. However, without going into details events took place in my life that made it necessary to carry a firearm. That was that.

My parents bought me my first gun.
I was using my father's 16 gauge Mossberg bolt action.
Asked for a 12 gauge double barrel Savage-Stevens from Service Merchandise.
Got it Christmas day......had a sore arm end of Christmas day.[smile]

Still have both guns.

I got into firearms when I was going to get married and have a family. It was my duty (and still is despite being divorced) to protect them.

Because I was robbed at gunpoint while working as a desk clerk by people who were screaming at me and I was helpless to do anything other than hope that they wouldn't kill me.

A week or so afterwards two FBI agents came to my parent's house and had me look through books of mugshots, (yeah, this was almost 40 years ago). I identified two of the robbers and was told that they were actively being looked for by the FBI because they'd killed two people so far and were crossing state lines in the process.

Shortly thereafter I obtained my first concealable firearm.

Because I was robbed at gunpoint while working as a desk clerk by people who were screaming at me and I was helpless to do anything other than hope that they wouldn't kill me.

A week or so afterwards two FBI agents came to my parent's house and had me look through books of mugshots, (yeah, this was almost 40 years ago). I identified two of the robbers and was told that they were actively being looked for by the FBI because they'd killed two people so far and were crossing state lines in the process.

Shortly thereafter I obtained my first concealable firearm.

Your story is better than the OP's. You should start a blog.

Your story is better than the OP's. You should start a blog.

I desperately needed money at the time and was working as a desk-clerk in a cheap motel in a low-rent district, near Pimlico race track in Baltimore. Sat and Sun, 8AM to midnight. This was in addition to my M-F job on a light electronics assembly line. I was working 72 hours per week, plus occasional overtime. I was a *LOT* younger then. I didn't fully appreciate the risk I was running then, and there were things I could have done to help minimize it and perhaps kept the robbery from happening.

Judgement is what you get from experience.
Experience is what you get from making mistakes.

My first hand gun was purchased from an outfit that advertised inside the back cover of " American Rifleman".
This happened in 1962, I bought an "Astra 600" 9mm pistol. If I recall properly it cost $29.00 plus $2.50 postage.
I had it in hand in less than 10 days. I had that one for almost 30 years.

............................ Jack

Always wanted to own a gun, but didn't know the process of getting a LTC. Finally got around to starting the process after I saw a groupon ad for the live fire experience at MFS. My philosophy is to always invite a friend to the range as there are many folks who have no idea how to get a LTC.

Watching what happened in hurricane Katrina. And how the media whitewashed the details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An attempted armed robbery on a college campus was my reason. Gun free zones still piss me off over this. Didn't know about the school zone limitation until after I almost got robbed at gun point in one.

I was lucky that night. Flashlight in my hands plus poor trigger discipline and the dude shot himself through his arm as he was leaving his car to approach.

I enjoy the challenge and self satisfaction of the control needed to accurately hit a target. ........

hitting the backstop (a hill) was enough to get me going, and like some other men/women/other, I became a gun enthusiast (nut) ever since, and my purchases are limited merely by my credit card limit, my hungry children, and what I can sneak past my wife into the house! I'm proud to say that I can now hit the target!

seriously though, after learning about countless gov'ts around the world throughout history, including our own, turn their backs on the people, I realized you can only count on yourself and those you love and trust!

First gun was a .22 marlin still have it 30yrs later . I just happened to grow up on farm so guns were a regular part of life.

Well all the kids on the block had them so I decided to get a better one than them. I remember how far it would squirt water, I was the king of the hill

I've always owned rifles. I had the same ones till I 24. All given/handed down. But bought my first handgun after moving to the lovely city of Manchester.
Watching home invasions take a spike, I decided it was time to expand. I'm sure most of you know the rest of that story.

Back
Top Bottom