Why Carry a Gun ??

I was asked by my wife's uncle a vietnam vet. this question, and to be honest I was confused. Why a man who has been through what he has would ask me a question like that or what turned him into an anti.. He said he likes guns and enjoys shooting them but why carry them?.. So my assumption is that he likes conflict/argument.

I found this on the internet,

Some of you have seen this, some have not. I just wanted to share it with every one:

This just about says it all.

PEOPLE ASK
Why Carry a Gun?

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.....author unknown (but obviously brilliant)

I love that one.

I was asked by my wife's uncle a vietnam vet. this question, and to be honest I was confused. Why a man who has been through what he has would ask me a question like that or what turned him into an anti.. He said he likes guns and enjoys shooting them but why carry them?.. So my assumption is that he likes conflict/argument.

First of all, you would have had to be by his side when he became a vet, then maybe you might understand his choice. He likes guns and enjoys shooting them, so I don't think he is anti. I have a very good friend who was a Army Ranger, 1st Lt, 25th Inf Div, Wolfhounds who took 2 rounds to the chest, had his thumb blown off. He is super anti, but he sure has earned the right to be whatever he pleases, I am the total opposite? No easy answer

If one could predict the time and place where you life will be in danger, one would be advised to avoid that time and place. Until or unless you have such a crystal ball, its better to expect the best and prepare for the worst.

To those who believe they live in a time and place where their life will never be in danger, I tried that when I was younger and not allowed to arm myself. Thankfully, I escaped witrh only minor injuries - not for lack of effort by my attackers.

I own a fire extinguisher.
I wear a seatbelt.
I cook raw meat.
I carry a gun.

Last edited:
I think SOME vets don't carry because they don't trust themselves being armed in an everyday situation. PTSD can leave some long after-effects.

i was picked on as a child and have a chip on my shoulder.

it makes me feel cool

it makes me look cool with my dual 1911's / shoulder rig

Back
Top Bottom