• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are Sigs so expensive?

Laura

NES Member
Anyone know why? We just went shooting tonight, my father and I, and got into a discussion of Sigs on the way back. I'd love to get one but my Berettas cost less and I'm having a blast.

I wish I knew what it was that drives up the prices. Honestly, I'd buy one if I had the cash but I can't see paying that kind of money when I can get a Beretta - or Hell - any gun for so much less. Shame really. Who are the catering to? Can't be the gun owning general public.

Sigs

Sigs are fine guns, but you can expect "letter of the warrantee" serice. If you hae a S&W alloy frame crack a few years out, you get a new one. If a Glock part breaks, more often than not, they'll take care of you if you ask nicely even if the warrantee has expired. If a Sig frame cracks past the warrantee period, you can expect a polite explaination of the terms of the warrantee and the phrase "acceptable serice life."

Anyone with experiences to the contrary out there who can comment?

ps: If you think Sigs are expensive, check out SVI, STI or Wilson Combat :)

Re: Sigs

Rob Boudrie said:
If a Sig frame cracks past the warrantee period, you can expect a polite explaination of the terms of the warrantee and the phrase "acceptable serice life."

Anyone with experiences to the contrary out there who can comment?

ps: If you think Sigs are expensive, check out SVI, STI or Wilson Combat :)
There are no warranttee on Sigs, just like HK. Sig's standby their products. if it's determined that the Sig was defective, they will replace it. 100,000 rounds later, you might be barking up the wrong tree. Thats to say about any manufacturer.

You cant find customer service any better than Sig's... They mailed me a new recoil spring, 4 grip screws, and both left and right grip pannels, without ever seeing the firearm. They stand by their products, and have never heard any negative things from people who have dealt with them directly.

Sigs are absolutetly worth it. Sure, you can save 200 by buying a SW, or whatever, but will it really be wort it? Contrary to the differance between a typical and luxury car, there's a lot more to a sig compared to a mid-range firearm...

I've been thinking of a sig for my next piece. They are pricy but are great guns. If you can find a DAK expect to pay more, but it has one of the best triggers I have ever seen for a stock gun.

I have no complaints about Sigarms service -- have sent in broken guns, gotten them back in two weeks or less, sent guns in for action jobs, same story, and have sent in broken guns years after purchasing them, and had them fixed without a whimper or charge.

Great company.

Well, everything seems to be getting more expensive these days.

Now that I've made that blindingly obvious statement, I think Sigs have gone up for several reasons, the biggest of which is their recent choice for Homeland Security. This seems to have increased their popularity and the company is taking advantage of that. Sig would not be the first company to take advantage of this, nor the last.

New Sigs seem to be very well made which attests to their design and attention to detail. I am willing to pay the price since the Sigs I have handled seem worth it. If they last, I will have made the right decision.

And this is post number 500. Made it back to the commissioned ranks.

Cross-X said:
Moderator said:
Cross-X said:
I was waylaid by a S&W 1911. Twice!

how about keeping it clean, this is a family forum. [lol]

I bet you never even realized I was hot on your trail at the gun show today.

Nice work with that AR-15 sillouette! Very nice.

Thanks, Key holder or the big one with C-phers name?

Moderator said:
Cross-X said:
Moderator said:
Cross-X said:
I was waylaid by a S&W 1911. Twice!

how about keeping it clean, this is a family forum. [lol]

I bet you never even realized I was hot on your trail at the gun show today.

Nice work with that AR-15 sillouette! Very nice.

Thanks, Key holder or the big one with C-phers name?

The key-holder. Very nice workmanship!

There are usually two reasons......

for high priced firearms. First, they are extremely well made and accurate, as Sig arms are. Secondly, they made have a historical reputation such as Colt 1911's and Western SAA's. The exception to the first is Glock. It is well made, nearly indestructable, and almost laser accurate right out of the box. The only drawback, for some, is that Glocks are not asthetically beautiful to look at. 8)

Re: Sigs

Republic of Mass said:
Rob Boudrie said:
There are no warranttee on Sigs, just like HK. Sig's standby their products. if it's determined that the Sig was defective, they will replace it. 100,000 rounds later, you might be barking up the wrong tree. Thats to say about any manufacturer.
No, this cannot be said about any manufacturer.

S&W offers a lifetime warrantee and will indeed replace a frame 100,000 rounds later.

Although Glock does not have a lifetime warrantee, I am aware of several cases where Glock went above and beyond. In one case, a local Glock armorer (me) wrote Glock about a Glock customer's gun, starting out with "This gun is out of warrantee, and was using reloads in a match so I have already explained you are not under any obligation to do anything." (The barrel lug had broken off on a G23). Less than 10 days later, a new Glock bbl arrived, free of charge.

A local shooter had an out of warrantee situation with a Sig and was offered a great deal on a replacement. When it arrived, he called Sig to mention that no one told him it was a used PD trade in - the response - "You don't really think we would have let you have a new gun for that price do you - we'll take it back and refund if you are not happy." 100% ethical and honest behavior... but not the same level of "above and beyond" you tend to see from S&W and Glock. In another case, a local was not happy with a cosmetic flaw on a P220 (used, but the flaw was there fro the start). After much discussion Sig finally consented to sell him a new barrel at dealer (ie, the same price at which it would normally leave the factory into retail trade).

Back
Top Bottom