• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are people who leave MA selling their firearms?

Hello all,

I am new to the forums, and I am excited to find such an excellent resource.

I am curious if anyone can tell me why people who are moving out of the state of MA decide to sell all or most of their guns. I've seen it multiple times on the classified forums here.

As a follow up question, if I move out of MA and become a resident of another state, am I legally allowed to sell the gun in another state assuming I comply with my new state's firearm laws?

Thanks,

Russ

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone can tell me why people who are moving out of the state of MA decide to sell all or most of their guns. I've seen it multiple times on the classified forums here.

As a follow up question, if I move out of MA and become a resident of another state, am I legally allowed to sell the gun in another state assuming I comply with my new state's firearm laws?

Thanks,

Russ

Gen 4 glocks cost as much as $700 (used) in MA, due to the AG regs, which reduce supply. They can be had for as little as $400 in other states. Get it now?

there could be any number of reasons but I think tops on the list would be the fact that if moving to a normal "free" state why not get rid of your neutered firearms where they have the most value. Anything that you can readily replace with a free state version will also be cheaper in said state.

Gen 4 glocks cost as much as $700 (used) in MA, due to the AG regs, which reduce supply. They can be had for as little as $400 in other states. Get it now?

Ah, I see. I guess this would only be a concern for weapons that are limited in their design to meet MA regulations or if they experience a tightened supply chain. Firearms that are functionally identical to their "free" state counterparts most likely means the owner wouldn't benefit from selling prior to departure unless they are harder to get.

Last edited:
Ah, I see. I guess this would only be a concern for weapons that are limited in their design to meet MA regulations. Firearms that are functionally identical to their "free" state counterparts most likely means the owner wouldn't benefit from selling prior to departure or, as you stated, if they experience a tightened supply chain.

No, I think you're still off base.

The AG made these regulations that prevent dealers from selling certain pistols. But, they can still be sold in private sales. Thees valuable guns are the ones identical to the free state versions, not the MA compliant versions.

Of course, with rifles. Preban stuff costs big bucks here, but is nothing special in most other states.

Because people want to rid themselves of MA cooties (and also, cuz the FA 10 registry)

Because they want to leave their overpriced guns in MA so they can get some of their cash back, because they fell for the myth of the illusion of scarcity of certain guns in MA.

-Mike

No, I think you're still off base.

The AG made these regulations that prevent dealers from selling certain pistols. But, they can still be sold in private sales. Thees valuable guns are the ones identical to the free state versions, not the MA compliant versions.

Of course, with rifles. Preban stuff costs big bucks here, but is nothing special in most other states.

Understood and thank you for your comments.

Pre-Ban mags are a good example. Look at those crappy pre-ban AK and AR mags, old metal junk selling for double or more the price of brand new mags in the free world.

Want a drum mag for your AR in MA? - **** you. You don't get one.
Want some large capacity Glock mags for your Sub 2000? - **** you, pay $100/OLD mag.

So, why keep all that old, overpriced junk, when you can sell 5 mags here and buy 15 brand new mags in a free state with the same amount of money?

IMO major reason to sell prior to moving is so fellow ma$$holes can enjoy a gun thats not on the list and/or harder to obtain. That and as pointed out already theyre worth more here due to supply-demand.

IMO major reason to sell prior to moving is so fellow ma$$holes can enjoy a gun that's not on the list and/or harder to obtain. That and as pointed out already they're worth more here due to supply-demand.
Exactly. It's both reasons. Do a big favor for the oppressed and come out financially ahead as well. Win-Win! [grin]

The day before Connecticut passed its (most recent) assault weapons ban, I bought a rifle from somebody who was getting ready to leave Connecticut because of the gun situation. He had a two-fold reason for selling that rifle (and most of the rest of his collection)- 1. helping make sure that somebody in CT got to have a rifle that they wouldn't be able to acquire in the future and 2. to raise money for the move.

I make Kydex holsters and I needed a 30 round P mag for a AR15, sent my 17 year old son to get me one at Cabalas, I dont know how you guys do it.

Modified it for you a little to reflect reality. [laugh]

-Mike
110% Suckers? How's that? If I know I'm getting gouged buying a preban Glock mag how does that equate to being a sucker when I don't have any other choice? Sure I can not be a sucker and buy a 17 round mag for $20 and risk catching a felony, I'd rather spend the $60 and not stress about it.

for what its worth i have pre ban (dated) Beretta mags and steel pre ban AK mags that i intend on dumping when we go to Florida don road. its the nice thing to do plus get money back.

110% Suckers? How's that? If I know I'm getting gouged buying a preban Glock mag how does that equate to being a sucker when I don't have any other choice? Sure I can not be a sucker and buy a 17 round mag for $20 and risk catching a felony, I'd rather spend the $60 and not stress about it.

You always have a choice. These things aren't unobtainium. Glock and others made THOUSANDS of the
things... and they were sold all over the US. Now like 45+ states don't have an AWB (probably more than that) do the math, it's pretty easy to figure it out.

You can search a bit, wait, hedge, make contacts online... and be "the guy that originally found the magazines" instead of overpaying for them and basically contributing to the problem. Those guys near or in MA selling them didn't pay anywhere near what they are selling them for, that you can take to the bank. They sell for what they sell because there's a perception of scarcity and a whole bunch of people have created that and fluffed it up over the years. I'll give you an example... years ago I had a line on preban LNIB P228 mags I could get them for $30 apiece, in typical MA fashion good luck getting them for anything less than 50 or 60 bucks each. The source I found had TONS of the things and was selling them online at marginal markup. Granted some of the sources have dried up, but again, nobody would be selling the things if there wasn't a lot of fluff involved in the price. It's not worth the time to make 5 bucks a magazine but if you can make $30+ a mag because of "sucker MA beliefs" then a seller will fire up that rape train because he's got a long line of suckers (lazy MA newbs) willing to ride on the thing. [laugh]

Junk bins in free state gun shops are a good source for these things, too... particularly farther away from MA you get.

-Mike

Last edited:
I'm well aware that they are old shitty magazines, I'm always looking but haven't found any available outside of NES classifieds for roughly $60, Gun Broker has a shit ton for well over a hundred bucks in various calibres as starting bids, next time I'm in Texas or Alabama maybe I might have some luck finding them in junk bins lol

I'm well aware that they are old shitty magazines, I'm always looking but haven't found any available outside of NES classifieds for roughly $60, Gun Broker has a shit ton for well over a hundred bucks in various calibres as starting bids, next time I'm in Texas or Alabama maybe I might have some luck finding them in junk bins lol

I would call stores before traveling. Ask them to hold them for you, maybe even give them a CC # over the phone and just pick them up when you are there.

I would call stores before traveling. Ask them to hold them for you, maybe even give them a CC # over the phone and just pick them up when you are there.

A lot of that stuff isn't even inventoried. Also theres a tactical element to it... if its just used junk it gets priced as such. If you start going "ZOMG pweeeban mag" with some selkers price might go up.

A lot of that stuff isn't even inventoried. Also theres a tactical element to it... if its just used junk it gets priced as such. If you start going "ZOMG pweeeban mag" with some selkers price might go up.

Haha...guess you are right.

I was just joking, I don't travel much outside of NH and Maine and the stores I've checked out never have any old Glock mags but I did find a dated Pre Ban AR 30 rounder at the Kittery Trading post for around $12 so it's definitely worth a look around

Hello all,

Thanks,

Russ

it's simple math. In MA you get raped on the price of most firearms, sell high in commiepuke, and buy a ton more in free merica

Back
Top Bottom