• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are cleaning patch so popular in the U.S.?

To answer your questions:

1. The patches don't absorb as the cotton/flannel roll. Not even close.
2. With the patches, you are limited to the size of the patch you use and more often than not it's just not enough. Sure, you can grab another one, but that's where it becomes annoying.
3. No need to sit and cut patches from the roll, like making an 'event' out of it, devoting time to it. You just tear a piece with your hand to the size that you need. It takes half a second.
4. You'll probably use less material from the roll than patches in each cleaning cycle.
5. Snake - tried it before, wasn't impressed. I don't have the feeling you can accomplish a perfect cleaning job with it. Maybe in the field, a quick run, but not a perfect cleaning.

People clean their guns???? :confused:

This is where I’m coming from.

I have a boresnake that gets run through the barrel if it looks extra dirty. (btw, guys...you can clean boresnakes). Sometimes if the action noticeably starts to drag, I’ll de-carbon and lube.

I think y’all just put too much effort into this.

2. With the patches, you are limited to the size of the patch you use and more often than not it's just not enough. Sure, you can grab another one, but that's where it becomes annoying.
3. No need to sit and cut patches from the roll, like making an 'event' out of it, devoting time to it. You just tear a piece with your hand to the size that you need. It takes half a second.
4. You'll probably use less material from the roll than patches in each cleaning cycle.
5. Snake - tried it before, wasn't impressed. I don't have the feeling you can accomplish a perfect cleaning job with it. Maybe in the field, a quick run, but not a perfect cleaning.
Ok until I see the test data on absorbtion rate I’m not buying it.
Also the fact it tears so easy could be a problem. If you used a jag it would probably push right through it.
Now if this stuff was 1/2 the price I might consider a roll

"We don't need no stinking patches."
Really? This is an argument?

What I use:
Bore-Snake brand stuff
bronze brushes of appropriate size
cotton bore swabs for shotguns

I have patches around because my Dad used them - once they're gone, they're gone...

Not sure why anyone uses a bore snake on any gun they actually care about - you're dragging the crap from the last 20 cleanings through your bore. Much rather use clean patches.

I smell a few people in this thread who probably clean their guns too much.....
Not sure why anyone uses a bore snake on any gun they actually care about - you're dragging the crap from the last 20 cleanings through your bore. Much rather use clean patches.

Like Atmay says you can clean them... plus I use it more as a device to just wipe out whatever leftover cleaner/lube/whatever might be left at the end of the process. I've never heard of one "damaging' a barrel.

Some of you guys are wrapped waaaaaaaay too tight about cleaning guns.

-Mike

I shoot A LOT of BP. Not a single one of my muskets or 45/70 guns has had issues with regular patches and absorption.

Regular patches absorb any solvents you might use. Then use a nice coat of oil and done.

You can also use hot water down the barrel. It works great on muskets. Do that, some oil, done.

This looks like it would be cheaper to manufacture than having patches cut to size, yet, companies sell pre-cut patches. There is a reason for that.

20 cleanings? Why would I wait 15 years before replacing the damn thing? They aren’t that expensive.

And as I said earlier; they can be cleaned/washed.

Like Atmay says you can clean them... plus I use it more as a device to just wipe out whatever leftover cleaner/lube/whatever might be left at the end of the process. I've never heard of one "damaging' a barrel.

-Mike

Yup. My grand pappy told me that during the Nazi killing fest, they spent 16 hours a day cleaning their rifles and just 1 hour a day shooting them damn Nazis.

Can’t shoot a dirty gun! That’s just unsanitary!

I like them pre-cut. I usually have the cleaning rod in one hand and want to just pick another one up.

-Mike
Yes, because we compete with them, and when a gun goes from shooting 1/2" groups to 3/4" groups its a problem. Or if you are a benchrest guy, when it goes from .200 to .300 groups...

Ha! I love the boresnake haters, maybe try washing them once every couple years. Or worse, pry some nickels out of your wallet and buy a new one.
Your reality and mine are very different. An average year of highpower practice and competition has me shooting 3k+ rounds, and cleaning every few hundred rounds

I only use 300 thread count Egyptian Cotton patches with a sateen weave from Giza on my gun barrels... From My Barrel.com They're worth it!

why-fg_1.png

Your reality and mine are very different. An average year of highpower practice and competition has me shooting 3k+ rounds, and cleaning every few hundred rounds
Even better, at your rate they’ll last twice as long without needing cleaning.

What are you trying to absorb? Are we wiping vaginas or cleaning guns?

Yes, because we compete with them, and when a gun goes from shooting 1/2" groups to 3/4" groups its a problem. Or if you are a benchrest guy, when it goes from .200 to .300 groups...

I get it, when you compete you want things to work a certain way etc. However, for most shooters, and most occasions, this isn't an issue in practical terms,
and incessant cleaning is pretty much a waste of time, unless we're talking about stuff like BP or corrosive ammo where the gun will literally start rotting if it's not
cleaned immediately.

Many years ago I used to be "one of those people" who burned up 1-2 hours cleaning everything meticulously after every range trip, even refusing to take out "dirty" guns again on the next range trip until they were cleaned. But then I quickly figured out (for what I do) its stupid and total f***ing waste of time in most cases. The only guns that I'm hyper vigilant about now are ones that are potentially lifesaving devices, and even then, its more about functional clean (eg, is the gun clean enough to work reliably without question?) than it is going FR on cosmetics. I don't have any need to sit there running 48 patches down the bore of my AR after the bolt and chamber are clean enough... or wasting time scraping carbon off the tail of the bolt carrier when it doesn't really affect function.

-Mike

9 out of 10 items will always work better when clean. Ill take my chances "wasting" time to keep something clean. No matter if its my car, gun, sump pump, the inside of my computer, or even my lawn mower. I know that if i maintain and keep them clean that my chances of failure is decreased. Time is better wasted than money.

9 out of 10 items will always work better when clean. Ill take my chances "wasting" time to keep something clean. No matter if its my car, gun, sump pump, the inside of my computer, or even my lawn mower. I know that if i maintain and keep them clean that my chances of failure is decreased. Time is better wasted than money.

Do you change your cars oil every time you drive it?

I am not going to sit around cutting up anything to save a nickel when I cost a dollar.

Exactly. My hourly rate is considerably more than the cost of patches.

How on earth do you think we are cutting up these old T shirts? Riiiip---fold - snip snip snip = 12 patches in the time it took to read that. Are some of you guys measuring and cutting individual patches? They work great, and for all intents and purposes, are free. Besides,

Old white cotton T Shirts that are worn out. I put one on every day after work and on the weekends if I can. So I have a shxt ton of them. Scissors are handy and I cut them as I clean.

Yep, and if I cut them a little big you just ram that sucker through.

How on earth do you think we are cutting up these old T shirts? Riiiip---fold - snip snip snip = 12 patches in the time it took to read that. Are some of you guys measuring and cutting individual patches? They work great, and for all intents and purposes, are free. Besides,

Yep, and if I cut them a little big you just ram that sucker through.

You have not swayed me I could have sat quietly away from the bride, drank a beer and read another thread on NES all while you toiled away cutting and folding. I leave the laundry to the wife.

I haven't gotten to tight on time or money that the extra 10 seconds it takes to rip some patches up from an old set of flannel sheet is going to affect my life.

You have not swayed me I could have sat quietly away from the bride, drank a beer and read another thread on NES all while you toiled away cutting and folding. I leave the laundry to the wife.

Ohhh, you must using the old kindergarde safety scissors. Do they not let you use sharp and pointy things. [laugh][laugh]

Back
Top Bottom