Why Are Berry's Bullets So Available?

Most other brands in popular calibers are out of stock but I can get pretty much any caliber Berry's any time at a good price.
Do people not like these bullets? I use them with no issues but I've only been reloading for a few months so I really wouldn't know if there is a performance problem with them. I have no test equipment.

Oops I just realized I should have put this in the Reloading forum...

maybe because they aren't used by manufacturers to make ammo so whatever they can crank out goes to reloaders rather than some to ammo factories (like powder, etc) and some to reloaders.

I guess I would have to try some fmj's from another manufacturer and compare to know if there is a difference. As far as I can tell they are fine in my guns but so far it's all I've ever used due to the shortage.

like which ones? I've never heard this before
If you Google something like What's wrong with Berrys Bullets you should get some answers. I just did and a lot of stuff came up like plating separation, and tumbling at higher velocities, etc.

The only thing I know of right from their website is that they are too soft and plating to thin for magnum loads so I don't use the 38/357 for 357 magnum. I use them strictly for 38's. I have no accuracy issues that I'm aware of and no way to determine if they tumble. I don't make hot loads.

I should mention I've used the 230 gr 45acp's and really had no problem. Never saw signs of tumbling but I was at somewhere in the 1000-1100 fps area.

well yeah if you shoot them at velocities above where they specifically tell you to stay below, you'll have problems. I believe 1200fps is the max.

I think too many people think they are the same as jacketed and load them as such

Some barrels, like scheumanns don't shoot them well at all. I have seen glocks have problems with them too. Like I said, some guns will shoot them well, others will not. I prefer to use bullets that work well in everything

Bullets are plentiful for the most part, so I wouldn't read much into availability. I think coated bullets (e.g. Ibeji) are a better choice than plated.

Some barrels, like scheumanns don't shoot them well at all. I have seen glocks have problems with them too. Like I said, some guns will shoot them well, others will not. I prefer to use bullets that work well in everything

This. I also run many calibers hotter than plated bullets allow.

I've found the quality and consistency of plated bullets to be spotty. I won't use them any more.

Most other brands in popular calibers are out of stock but I can get pretty much any caliber Berry's any time at a good price.
Do people not like these bullets? I use them with no issues but I've only been reloading for a few months so I really wouldn't know if there is a performance problem with them. I have no test equipment.

Oops I just realized I should have put this in the Reloading forum...
start another berrys group buy

I have been using Berry's bullets almost exclusively for the past 10 years or so with excellent results. The only problem I ever had (as Supermoto mentioned) is with a Scheumann barrel in .40 cal S&W. I am currently shooting them in 9mm, .38 special, and .45 acp in handguns and carbines with no problems at all. It's basically an economics issue. With 3 of us shooting in the family (me and 2 sons), the Berry's are cheaper, and work great, so we get to shoot more. As long as we keep them under 1,200 fps they are great. Since they are readily available, you should pick some up and see if they work for you.

-Cuz

Personally I just don't the the value in them, if you buy montana gold by the case they are only $5.00 dollars more for a real bullet and they shoot well at all velocities

Personally I just don't the the value in them, if you buy montana gold by the case they are only $5.00 dollars more for a real bullet and they shoot well at all velocities

That just means you are not shooting enough yet to recognize the value. It's just like reloading. If someone shoots 1 or 2 thousand rounds per year, it's difficult for them to justify getting into reloading. However, if they are shooting 1 or 2 thousand (or more) rounds a month, it starts to look a bit more attractive. I've shot plenty of Montana Gold bullets, and I'll admit that they are very nice bullets, however, they cost a bit more than $5.00 per thousand. And when you get into significant quantities, the cost starts to add up. If cost were no object, I would probably not shoot plated bullets, but cost is a factor, and plated bullets do everything I need them to do for me, so I see no need or reason not to shoot them. Everyone needs to decide for themselves whether or not they will work for them. Ignoring the fact that there is a reasonable cost savings is just not taking all facts into consideration.

-Cuz.

$5 more for a case??? Where are you getting your info from? You are WAY off. During the last Berry's Group buy, the 9mm, 124gr RN bullets went for $74 / 1000 delivered.

If you buy MG bullets, you need to get the 9mm, 124 gr CMJ bullets to be equal (no exposed lead), and if you buy a case of 3,750 of them for $370 (with free shipping), that = $98.67 / 1000. That's an extra $24.50 / 1000. That means that for every 3,000 MG bullets you buy, I can buy 4,000 Berry's. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to quickly see some very big savings by shooting Berry's bullets. I think the savings may be less with some other calibers, but it's still pretty significant.

There have been four times when i've bought bulk quantities of bullets and couldn't use them. Each time they were plated bullets.

It is worth it to me to spend a few extra dollars on good jacketed bullets.

actually starting to go the cast and coated with hi-tek route, worked worked well in 45 acp in my 1911 and xdm also.38 in my 66 and rossi lever gun, takes more time than I have right now though which do you use Supermoto?

actually starting to go the cast and coated with hi-tek route, worked worked well in 45 acp in my 1911 and xdm also.38 in my 66 and rossi lever gun, takes more time than I have right now though which do you use Supermoto?

I use Ibejiheads. They are very accurate, very clean even when pushing 124g 9mm to 1400 fps, plus they are local to me in NJ, the owner is a great guy and is a fellow competitive shooter that support the sport. I have used BBI, Bayou and precision bullets. So far I like the ibejis best

I guess if my goal were to shoot through the same hole I might be concerned but that's not why I shoot. I shoot as a pass time, I reload as a pass time and I even like to clean my guns as a pass time so any inconsistency that might occur by using low cost plated bullets doesn't affect me, especially since I have to keep my costs as low as possible or quit shooting. But I haven't noticed any inconsistencies.

Secondary to being a pass time is protection. I practice enough that if I ever needed to protect myself and my family I would be able to do so effectively with factory defense ammo.

So in a nutshell, based on what I'm reading I think whether you like or dislike plated bullets depends on what your goal is. The fact that plated bullets are plentiful and less expensive keeps me shooting so I'm happy.

So in a nutshell, based on what I'm reading I think whether you like or dislike plated bullets depends on what your goal is. The fact that plated bullets are plentiful and less expensive keeps me shooting so I'm happy.

nope, Even if you just want to pass time bu thrown lead down range, you will know it if they don't shoot well. the accuracy will be absolute shit, they will come apart or keyhole.

Back
Top Bottom