Why all the hate for .40s&w?

To preempt any possible EC mocking, I just threw my Sig P250 .40 into the woods. It would have gone FAR too, except I tripped in my high heels and fell as I threw it.

To preempt any possible EC mocking, I just threw my Sig P250 .40 into the woods. It would have gone FAR too, except I tripped in my high heels and fell as I threw it.

Isn't that gun modular? You could have just converted it into a non objectionable caliber. I thought you said you were going to leave that barrel in the tampon trash bin on the airplane. [laugh]

-Mike

I never really saw the point of .40, but it also postdates me. There's 9mm and .38spl, and then there's .45acp and .357mag. Why did we need something in between again?

(...except before that we had .38-200 and .455, so why did we need .38spl and .357mag again? This stuff all goes in circles. Marketing!)

I thought there was a "rule of 4" that any cartridge that began with a "4" was acceptable for self defense.

For some caliber/gun combinations are a very emotional subject.

I shoot Pins, Steel, USPSA and IDPA, among others and use the caliber/gun combination (single stack, double stack, 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP) that is called for dependent on the game. Occasionally, I just feel like shooting a gun because it’s fun, although not the best choice for the game.

To me the 9mm is a soft recoiling round, the 40 S&W is a bit snappy and the 45 ACP just a bit harder recoiling. My failure drill time and accuracy is the essentially the same with all three rounds and similar platforms.

All three calibers are suitable for carry.

Which action pistol sport are you getting into?

Respectfully,
jkelly

The amount of recoil developed by a pistol is directly related to the energy of the round fired. Depending on the load any of the above cartridges could develop the most recoil in a comparable pistol.

I prefer the .45 because it is already almost 1/2 in in diameter without any expansion. The M&P .45 will hold 10 rounds in a grip frame that is comfortable for small hands; 14 if you go with the extended mag.

The amount of recoil developed by a pistol is directly related to the energy of the round fired. Depending on the load any of the above cartridges could develop the most recoil in a comparable pistol.

I prefer the .45 because it is already almost 1/2 in in diameter without any expansion. The M&P .45 will hold 10 rounds in a grip frame that is comfortable for small hands; 14 if you go with the extended mag.
I shoot all three competitively, in fairly similar firearms. I find factory 9mm rather light in perceived recoil, the 40 S&W is a definite step up and the 45ACP is still another step.

For competition I load to the required power factor and select the caliber/gun combination best suited for the game whether it’s 8 rounds of 45 ACP, 10 rounds of 9mm or 19 rounds of 40 S&W. I think all three would be fine for a carry round.

Respectfully,
jkelly

(...except before that we had .38-200 and .455, so why did we need .38spl and .357mag again? This stuff all goes in circles. Marketing!)
Because the .30-200 is a wimpy ass British version of the .38 Short Colt and the .455 Webley is another anemic BRITISH little turd?

The United States has almost always been at the forefront of handgun and handgun cartridge development and the British have not.

The .38 Special and the .357 Magnum orders of magnitude more powerful than the two BRITISH cartridges you think WE had. It has nothing to do with marketing.

I guess there is 'acceptable' and then there is "What Jesus would carry". (^_^)

What would Jesus carry?

glockv1911.jpg

Any round known as a "foh-tay" doesn't cut it for me. [smile]

The "foh-tay" is not the same round as the 40 S&W. It is a special round for "The only ones" to shoot themselves in the foot with.LOL. The 40 S&W is for your everyday people that don't have any hangups and shoot whatever they feel like shooting.

According to some of the residents at the section 8 housing complex I work security for, the "foh-tay" and the "nine" are the same thing, and are almost exclusively fired from a "glock, all chromed out". They're interesting people to chat with, lol.

According to some of the residents at the section 8 housing complex I work security for, the "foh-tay" and the "nine" are the same thing, and are almost exclusively fired from a "glock, all chromed out". They're interesting people to chat with, lol.

I can just feel my I.Q. points being stripped away at the mere thought of this conversation.

I bet you have some interesting stories.

I bet you have some interesting stories.

One upstanding gentleman that turned his life around after a stay at Ludlow (house of corrections for youthful offenders) told me how he used to carry a "glock". He also specified on different occasions that it was both a "foh tay" and a "nine", and that it shot very small bullets so you could easily carry a pile of them in your coat pocket. Naturally, I assume he had a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a .22 conversion kit so he could afford to shoot more at the range.

I have limited experience with handguns but here's my take.... I don't like the recoil of a 40 and never will. It's not pleasant. Now before you go calling me a pussy I carry a Glock 30 and find it's recoil very pleasant.

The same can be said of the caliber itself. Why buy something in a 40 when I already have a 45? Even if I didn't own anything in 45 and owned something in 9mm for instead why would I do a half ass "upgrade" to a 40 when there's a 45 available? Either way, it's a caliber I never plan on buying. As someone here put it: "It's a caliber all dressed up with nowhere to go"

Here's my take on it for what it' worth. First, I agree with just about every word Jim wrote on the subject - and I am no stranger to .40 S&W. In 1998 I bought a Glock Model 22 and 8 15rd mags. I spent the next 9-years really trying to love this gun and the .40 S&W cartridge - really. Folks who know me, know that I'm no fair-weather shooter. I send a lot of lead downrange and in the case of the Glock 22, I sent a huge quantity of ammunition into the berm. I got a once in a lifetime deal on a giant quantity of .40 S&W and coupled with other purchases, I sent well over 10,000 rounds out of that gun and sent it to Glock to be redone and shot a few thousand more. I tried to love this gun and the cartridge - really I did, but I never loved either one. The closest I came to Glock Nirvana, was when I put a .357 Sig barrel on it. I went from detesting the muzzle flip and general "blahness" of the .40 S&W, to amazement at hitting clay pigeons at 50 and once in a while 100-yards with the .357 Sig. I was happy to say goodbye to the Glock - no regrets. I'm a .45 guy - always have been, always will be. I do however have a fondness for unique cartridges like the .38 Super, 10mm and .357 Sig. I just found the .40 to be a reverse-engineered boring cartridge that was well marketed by the manufacturers of guns and ammunition and well received by shooters that were searching for something..... less? [thinking]

The .40 is a compromise. I currently carry a .357 M&P 360. A lot of firepower in a small package. I am trying to standardize my collection so I only have to buy a couple of different types of ammo. I sold my HK USP .40 and now only have nines or 45s (with the exception of the 360). If I want a lighter gun I have a nine. If I want to shoot a larger round I go to a 45. I have no use for the 40.

I wear a suit so I can't carry a full sized 1911 or I would. That little 360 kicks ass.

One upstanding gentleman that turned his life around after a stay at Ludlow (house of corrections for youthful offenders) told me how he used to carry a "glock". He also specified on different occasions that it was both a "foh tay" and a "nine", and that it shot very small bullets so you could easily carry a pile of them in your coat pocket. Naturally, I assume he had a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel and a .22 conversion kit so he could afford to shoot more at the range.
I'm calling BS on this one. Everyone knows that the laws of Massachusetts prevent unlicensed individuals from carrying a gun.

[smile][smile][smile], for the sarcastically challenged

No for-tay in this house. Only .44 mag and .45 acp. .22 is for the target pistol/trainer. 9mm isn't an option either.

EC: You should do stand up comedy. I have never laughed so hard at a NES thread. You have a gift and could be making a lot of money with it.

Back
Top Bottom