• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why all the hate for .40s&w?

Which right now is actually a liability because it is harder to get small pistol primers...

I wouldn't know - haven't used SP primers in over half a decade. I have to use SR for .223 and .38 Super; it made more sense to use SR in all small primer applications.

Benefits: NO chance of putting an SP in a .223 or .38 Super and greater safety in the .40.

Downsides: None.

YMMV

I wouldn't know - haven't used SP primers in over half a decade. I have to use SR for .223 and .38 Super; it made more sense to use SR in all small primer applications.

Benefits: NO chance of putting an SP in a .223 or .38 Super and greater safety in the .40.

Downsides: None.

YMMV

The only downside is that they seem to be even harder to get than small pistol primers.

So drop in a .40 barrel and cut your costs about 30%.

If you haven't already, that is.

Not even close. There's something great about showing up at the range with .357 SIG and having everyone ask after that 1st shot "What the heck kind of gun is THAT!?!" That and I don't have the energy to add shopping for .40 ammo to my list. The ammo crisis is still in full swing down here.

Rob,
AFAIK, the 10mm shares primers with the .45, hence reloaders and manufacturers who deal in 9mm and .45 are set either way? Is that not the case?
True, however, there is a segment of reloaders who use the (9mm or super) and 40 s&w combination as those calibers dominate in some competitive disciplines. I haven loaded anything other than super or 40 for years, but I'm going to get a brace of 45's built since I have a good lead on a used 45 caliber conversion kit for my 1050.

That and I don't have the energy to add shopping for .40 ammo to my list. The ammo crisis is still in full swing down here.

In which case the capability of shooting .40 as well would at least double the likelihood of your finding ammo. Probably more so, as it is in greater production.

The EAA Witness is currently available in 10mm - we stock it at Horton's. Doesn't seem terribly popular, though... most gun shops I talk to are not interested in the Witness line at all.

And that is a freaking shame. I've got 2 witness'. A standard full size .45 with a .22 conversion kit, and a 10mm limited. The standard is great, it was my favorite gun until I got the limited. The limited is unbelievably good.

In which case the capability of shooting .40 as well would at least double the likelihood of your finding ammo. Probably more so, as it is in greater production.

Likelihood, for sure, but that would require a lot of extra effort to include yet another caliber in my ammo shopping. Not worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom