• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why a shield

Riddle me this batman. Why would anyone want a shield when you can get a walther pps? PPS - no safety, no mag disconnect - more mag options, just as compact?

Perfect timing for this thread... am currently making a buying decision PPS v. Shield. Keep the comments coming :)

imo the pps is a top tier single stack. you can find them used for around 450 dollars which isnt that bad. i think the fit and finish is much better than the shield. Kahr's are so over priced its not even funny.

Good points - I happened onto a non-ma trigger PPS. 6lbs. And at first I thought the mag release was goofy but I found that it is more intuitive than traditional mag release buttons.

To each his own. I find the free state version of the PPS an excellent CCW.

I bought one and trigger would not reset after one mag, then when I got my new one I could not pull bck the slide jammed right out of the box so I have a bad taste

I currently own the Shield in 9mm, and its replaced my 26 for summer carry.

i did look at 3 guns, the pps, the shield, and the XDS,

i owned the xds and loved it at first but it is punishing to do a range session with. and my logic is i better be able to shoot the weapon when im fatigued and control it. plus 230gr +P's hurt the hell out of my hand. The mag release was a stubborn hard to depress mag release also.

took a look at the PPS, and while a novel approach the removable back straps may be, the texture and flimsy back strap on a gun the small didn't matter. magazine release was another big factor. using glocks all the time, its my automatic hand movement to press my thumb where the mag release is .. even when looking at the pps , first time my thumb went to the american mag release spot, which guess what? it wasn't there. then i remembered "oh! right under the trigger guard" that kind of lapse in thinking could mean reload , and winning a defensive encounter , or death.

and now to the shield..
I put it in my hand and the feel is just so much more ergonomic and the trigger, (non mass compliant, customized btw) is awesome. Recoil is minimal for a gun this size and i even torture tested my own shield with sand in and open chamber.. flawless. i have never had a misfire. controls are great and is easily useable, while its not my cup of tea. i just leave it off. i do find slide serrations to be lacking , and will probably put some sort of grip tape on them. easy to field strip, (slide portion, not so much, one downfall). if your going to buy it don't judge it till you have the apex, or gunsmith-ed trigger in.

hope you liked my in depth review.

I love my Shield 40 (MA). I have put close to 1000rds through it so far. After about 500rds I started experiencing the mag drop issue with the flush fit mag. Sent it into S&W and they fixed it. Dealing with that was a pain in the ass but its seems all good now. I love to carry it with the Crossfit Mini Tuck.

I plan to install the apex kit soon. I have felt it and does make a great difference. My trigger is heavy very heavy, clean break though. Aside from the wieght of it I think that the trigger is good. It is an upgraded version of the previous M&P line, from what I hear.

I've never had a PPS but I've been carrying a 9 Shield for about 3 months and love it. As someone already posted there's no mag disconnect in a Shield and I don't mind the safety since you can choose not to use it and the safety is small and has very positive detention.
I believe you bought the Shield at the last Marlboro Gun Show (I was looking at it too but thought the price was too high) and since have sold it. I think you should have hung onto it a while longer, it would have become a favorite.

I personally wasn't a big fan of the PPS. I wanted to like it but I couldn't. I put about 50rd through it and it was just ok. Similar to queenbee, what I didn't like is the mag release. It just felt awkward to do and it didn't seem natural compared to the thumb release that I'm used to. I still would consider one in the future but it isn't my first choice. Also the fit in my hand didn't feel great. Maybe changing back straps could help

I also tried the shield and the MA trigger is awful but I want one. I am just gonna wait until the "hot new product" fad is done and you can find one at almost all gun shops. The shield fit my hand great. I figure with the apex trigger it could be a great little gun. I carry an M&P9c now and the trigger was awful until I installed the apex trigger kit. Now I shoot it better than my g17.

All that said I just bought a PM9 and have put about 50 rounds through it. I like the way it feels and shoots pretty good for such a small gun. Gonna put some Talon grips on it to get a little better control. Only thing I don't like is when you rack it it can get a jam if you don't rack the slide correctly. A slight jiggle takes care of it but still doesn't sit easy in my mind. Paid $500 for it so price wasn't to bad with dayglo sights.

Really want to try a Nano but I never see them in MA.

Last edited:
2 shields in the classifieds right now.

Thanks Andy,

I check/search the classified atleast twice a day and have just missed one or two by a matter of an hour or less. Seems if your not on line when they post, they get scooped right up!!

I just looked again. The ones I saw where all marked sold. There is one post from October listed as a trade. Tried to contact the poster before, offered trade or $$$ no response. Just sent another.

So the quest continues.........

Got the Mass. Comp Shield in 9mm, had some work done to help with grit on trigger, still not happy . Ordered an Apex kit and installed it mysel, not that hard, just getting rear site out and not damaging finish, but did it. Took about 20 mins total.

What a difference the Apex has made, Clean and Crisp. What a difference, and more accurate .

Perfect timing for this thread... am currently making a buying decision PPS v. Shield. Keep the comments coming :)

Find someone with each and see if you can shoot them. Preferably side by side but at different times would be fine too.

Back
Top Bottom