Who's stocking up on ammo?

SKS Ray

NES Member
Who else here has been stocking up on ammo rather than buying guns at the shows? Myself I always grab a brick, or spam can of milsurp ammo when I can because after all living here behind the Iron Curtain you never know when you'll be able to get ammo at a decent price. I've got a good supply of diferent 7.62x54 ammo and have been concentrating on diferent types like 8mm the HXP 303 British when I see it. Then theres the 7.62x39 crunch. :x

I ALWAYS buy ammo! I actually feel sometimes, like I am addicted to buying ammo!

Like yesterday... Even though I already have a few thousand rounds of 7.62X39 on hand, I still felt it necessary to buy some more while at the shop yesterday...

I guess you can never have too much.. It's not like it will go bad!

Adam

same here,
over the last 4 weeks ive gotten a thousand rounds of jhp and fmj handgun ammo of various types (dont know what she likes to eat yet).

Its like going to the convenient store and wondering if you have soda at home or not, you might as well pick some up anyways cause you know your going to drink it eventually anyways.
:D

SnakeEye said:
Its like going to the convenient store and wondering if you have soda at home or not, you might as well pick some up anyways cause you know your going to drink it eventually anyways.
:D

You hit the nail on the head. [lol]

No need to store ammo in a safe!

Better to store it in a closet or a locker/cabinet.

Also leaves more room for more guns!

I, umm, have a lot of ammo. I always buy a case or 2 at the shows. Last show I parked waaaay to far to hump a case of each .223 and .45.

Adam_MA said:
I ALWAYS buy ammo! I actually feel sometimes, like I am addicted to buying ammo!

Like yesterday... Even though I already have a few thousand rounds of 7.62X39 on hand, I still felt it necessary to buy some more while at the shop yesterday...

Adam

You know you'll put it to good use...it's just a question of when and where [lol]

I say the same thing with Liquor, the Wife wanted to pick up a few things for recipies at the NH State Liquor Store on the way up to Maine the other day. I though I'd buy my Dad a bottle of Maker's Mark....well that $20 item turned into $150 aweful quick. EVERYTHING I like was on sale!!!! 8)

Picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich Single Malt on Recomendation of NES, I'll be submitting a review soon.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Weer'd Beard said:
Picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich Single Malt on Recomendation of NES, I'll be submitting a review soon.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Glenfiddich is good, The Macallan is better, if pricier. Balvenie 18 is really good, but very, very expensive. I've had some 21 year old scotch that is unbelievable.

There is nothing like a good Scotch and a good cigar. Especially if it's after a day of shooting.

As to ammo, I'll be buying some at Wilmington. Swiss 7.5, and probably some Russian 7.62x54 for that Mosin I'm planning to buy. Maybe some .40, if the price is right.

Gary

Garys said:
Weer'd Beard said:

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Glenfiddich is good, The Macallan is better, if pricier. Balvenie 18 is really good, but very, very expensive. I've had some 21 year old scotch that is unbelievable.

There is nothing like a good Scotch and a good cigar. Especially if it's after a day of shooting.

I'm slowly learning more and more about Scotch. My Whisky of choice is Bourbon. Shooting, cigars and scotch are on order for the Day my Buddy and I cast our vote AGAINST Ted Kennedy this year [lol]

I need to get my hands on a bona-fide Battle-rifle for the day. If not the M44 Mosin Nagant with the Bayo out will also do the trick!

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

Adam_MA said:

Adam

Oh thank GOODNESS it's not just me... I pick up at least two WWB boxes and a bulk .22LR pack every single time I swing into WallyWorld. Every time.

And when I hit the gun shows, it's 200 - 300 rounds of .357 Magnum and 50 - 100 rounds of the oddball stuff (.30-30, 6.5 Carcano, etc.).

Put it this way: I have to press the larger ammo locker into service. Both "ammo lockers" are solid wood boxes with locking hasps that served as my toy boxes when I was a child. Since my dad built them, they could withstand a direct nuclear hit, which makes them ideal for ammo storage.

And when the larger box goes into the attic, the smaller box will stay there "just in case". The plan is to have rifle ammo in one locker, pistol ammo in another.

Greenlee tool storage chests are great for ammo storage. They are lockable, very sturdy, and relatively cheap (compared to a real safe).
Any electrical supply store can order them in many sizes and door configurations. They are lockable with standard padlocks. (Yes, LenS, I know ammo does not need to be under lock and key, I just feel more comfortable that way) [wink] I use a keyed alike lock that also locks my individual guns, which are also locked in a safe. This makes access to both a bit more convenient. BTW, I'm planning on going to the show next week, my first. Can I expect any bargains on ammo?

Well, I have about a thousand rounds of .45 and .22Lr on hand... but I'm woefully low on .38 & .357. About 200 rds of 9mm and .380 as well... but I don't shoot those much, so I'm not worried.

But I definitely need more .38 & .357... Think there'll be any decent deals left on Sunday?

dwarven1 said:
Well, I have about a thousand rounds of .45 and .22Lr on hand... but I'm woefully low on .38 & .357. About 200 rds of 9mm and .380 as well... but I don't shoot those much, so I'm not worried.

But I definitely need more .38 & .357... Think there'll be any decent deals left on Sunday?

IMHO, 1,000 rounds of .22LR *IS* woefully short... :)

Wallyworld has the WWB .38 specials for like $17. Best price I've seen on new .38 special ammo any where...

Jay G said:
And when the larger box goes into the attic, the smaller box will stay there "just in case". The plan is to have rifle ammo in one locker, pistol ammo in another.

Jay,

I would seriously advise AGAINST storing any ammo/guns in the attic, unless it is totally climate controlled.

Gets VERY hot in Summer and Very cold in Winter. Humidity is also very variable. Thus, if the container is not hermetically sealed, this is not good storage conditions for ammo.

Christos,

Actually according to the MA Fire Code CMR, ALL ammo must be locked up. [evil]

Regardless, your idea for storage is just fine.

Bargains at gun shows on ammo. If they let any vendor sell ammo in show (unlike Big E which only has ONE ammo dealer allowed in an outdoor tent), you might find some bargains. Obnoxious Steve from NY has average prices, not usually great. Carl (Four Seasons) can often equal or beat these prices in quantity.

Good point, Len, but dont get me started on the contradicitons among MA CMR 4, NFPA, MA Building Code, (then throw in MA gun laws). Ask your local fire prevention officer, building inspector, and cheif of police the question about ammo storage and you will likely get three different answers. I'm not sure what NFPA says about it, but you get the idea. Just another example of the over-regulated bureaucracy we call home. BTW, I admire your accuracy in answering questions and responding to posts.

''Microstamping is the most elegant solution to this problem," said Joshua Horwitz, the executive director of the nonprofit gun control advocacy group Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence.

thats funny, i never equated elegance with mental retardation...

Might be a good idea to serialize knives and knife sheaths with matching numbers too. That way, if a knife is used in the crime and dropped, all you have to do is match it to the sheath and it's owner. [roll]

Maybe they could just make a law, that says that in the Commiewealth of Ma. You MUST have a valid license to purchase, own, or possess ammunition. That way, only people who have these said licenses can legally own the ammo in the first place. Then, anyone who owns ammunition, without the proper license would be a....

CRIMINAL!

Back
Top Bottom