• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who's still waiting in Everett MA

Hate to get this back on track, but has there been any update on the folks waiting in Everett? Any word from the IA or PD in general?

No change, october 9th will make 11 months since my application went in.

And technically its been a year already, because it took 2 months to be able to meet with the LO.

I will be the first to let everyone on NES know when I get mine.

Andre

No change for me, still waiting, not update whatsoever. Last time I called I was told there was no problem...SMH!

Trust me im patient to an extent, i have run out of ideas. My PD has made it so that i have lost out on job opportunities, a job that i really wanted at my work closed last month and i couldnt apply because it requires atleast an FID card. Would have been a $13k bump in pay. And i let the LO know and still didnt get me my license.

When the PD doesnt want to process applications they just dont.

Andre

Trust me im patient to an extent, i have run out of ideas. My PD has made it so that i have lost out on job opportunities, a job that i really wanted at my work closed last month and i couldnt apply because it requires atleast an FID card. Would have been a $13k bump in pay. And i let the LO know and still didnt get me my license.

When the PD doesnt want to process applications they just dont.

Andre

Have you spoken to Comm2A? They might not be in a position to help directly, but they may be able to point you to someone who could.

How many do you think we could get on board to do this? Since the PD always blames the state, do we report to the MSP if EPD passes the buck? After (undoubtedly) being ignored and threatened, we should draft a letter for all of us to sign and send to the appropriate authorities, including the FBI; if the state won't do shit, let the feds play.

I'd want to be reasonably sure that it would do more good than bad. Sometimes well meaning people can inadvertently cause much larger problems. (See the McGowan case for example.) I'd welcome feedback from someone more plugged in on this specific situation, like maybe Jesse for example.

The law seems pretty clear:

Chapter 140 said:
Within seven days of the receipt of a completed application for a license to carry or possess firearms, or renewal of same, the licensing authority shall forward one copy of the application and one copy of the applicant's fingerprints to the colonel of state police, who shall within 30 days advise the licensing authority, in writing, of any disqualifying criminal record of the applicant arising from within or without the commonwealth and whether there is reason to believe that the applicant is disqualified for any of the foregoing reasons from possessing a license to carry or possess firearms. In searching for any disqualifying history of the applicant, the colonel shall utilize, or cause to be utilized, files maintained by the department of probation and statewide and nationwide criminal justice, warrant and protection order information systems and files including, but not limited to, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. The colonel shall inquire of the commissioner of the department of mental health relative to whether the applicant is disqualified from being so licensed. If the information available to the colonel does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law, he shall certify such fact, in writing, to the licensing authority within said 30 day period.

They obviously don't care about this law, so I assume they wouldn't care about it being reported as a crime. Unless maybe it ended up in the paper somehow.

Last edited:
Have you spoken to Comm2A? They might not be in a position to help directly, but they may be able to point you to someone who could.

Yeah hopefully someone will do something about this. It is pure bullshit that they're jerking him around like this. 11 months? There's others waiting 4-6 months so I know it isn't held back because of anything stupid, minus the dept. I am ashamed at them for putting guys/women through this ****ing nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you Jasons, it could do some harm by making a huge stink. They definitely do not give a shit about the MGL so why would they care? Jesse has chimed in before and when he does, he usually is still outraged.

If I am ever needed at the hill, I will be there. It's a haul for me, so I'll need a few days notice at least. But I'll be there if the group think a crowd would be beneficial.

If I am ever needed at the hill, I will be there. It's a haul for me, so I'll need a few days notice at least. But I'll be there if the group think a crowd would be beneficial.

I would be down to go to beacon hill as well. At this point it cant get much worse. And I honestly dont see what other bad could come of this.

As i stated before, i almost feel like the chief in everett is in the know, about possible new tighter gun laws in mass that may come after the elections. And that maybe the attorney general is communicating to chiefs who she knows she has on board, to hold off on processing applicants.

I know it sounds like conspiracy theory, but if obama and warren get in i really feel that someone bad is coming down the pike for gun owners and especially gun owners in mass.

Andre

We need to do this, but we need to do it right. It should probably have its own thread, but hopefully it won't turn into a shit show because lazy asses don't want to do anything but criticize others' efforts.

Yeah, the criticizing on here is getting out of hand. I would love to take this up with the people that are making it harder for us as gun-owners.

Wondering out loud here and hoping that Jesse Cohen will check in and give this idea a sanity check . . .

Keep in mind IANAL and I am out of other ideas wrt the Everett problem, as Andre has done a lot of the right things (that should have worked) but nothing did work.

- Would a lawyer filing a Writ of Mandamus work here? Black's Law Dictionary defines it as a "case of last resort" and rather drastic, but at this point "drastic" is the only thing likely to work for this city. [For a good description of this, I suggest reading here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writ_of_mandamus ]

----------------

As for marches on Boston/legislature, here's some background info to help anyone planning such an event:

GOAL held 3 rallies against the 1998 Gun Control Act in either 1998 or 1999 (Don't recall which year, I attended 2 of them), one of which was SUPPOSED to be on the steps of the State House. At the last minute GOAL was DENIED a permit (yes you need one, no idea how much they charge) to be on the State House Grounds and extra police were brought in to make sure we didn't encroach on such "sacred ground"! [I remember being told that the permitting process was onerous . . . especially for groups that the gov't doesn't like or have any respect for . . . such as us.]

GOAL was forced to hold the rally ONLY at the far back right corner of the Boston Commons (very few folks travel thru that part) to ensure we didn't gather a crowd or get to speak to the unwashed masses. There were ~5K people there but the media reported "a few hundred" (IIRC). [At the same time there was an anti-gun rally IIRC on the steps of the State House or at the rotunda at the front of the Boston Commons. It was reported to us that ~35 people were at that rally but the media made it sound like 100s showed up and gave it more coverage than our rally.]

After the rally we marched up to the State House but were forced to be ONLY on the outer sidewalk on both sides of Beacon Street. Mike Yacino then decided that we should march around the State House (chanting) and then inside to meet with the Governor. Security at the State House almost had a coronary that such unwashed masses might gain access to the State House, especially near the Governor's Office. They only allowed Mike (maybe 1 or 2 others, don't recall) to go inside his office, the rest of us were standing in the hallway being watched by a very nervous police force. [Keep in mind this was 1998 and it was still the "people's building" with no security checkpoints or rules on what you had on your person. Today, access would be denied and security would take a couple of days to clear as many people as we had in the State House that day!]

We were then asked to head to our Rep/Sen offices and politely chat with them. When I got to my Rep's office he asked me "what was all the noise about" . . . they were clueless about what was going on and our presence made ZERO impact on them or any changes to the draconian laws. [My State Sen at the time was a Vet, gun owner and I think she was a GOAL member so she knew what was happening and was 100% on our side. My State Rep is someone who I've known for ~30 years now, he's not a supporter of gun rights but did vote AGAINST Ch. 180 in 1998 (he told me he read it and thought it was outrageous).]

So any rally must happen during working hours . . . and they are basically all on "vacation" so they can get re-elected until the first of the year. So the place would be pretty empty this time of year.

We do NOT as a society decide who has Rights. People with mental illness have Rights just like anyone else. In certain specific circumstances Rights can be taken away but there are safe guards in place (i.e. the Bill of Rights) which strictly limit the circumstances and degree by which they are infringed.

Your statement:"all i am getting back is the constitution thrown in my face" is quite concerning. Everyday in court rooms across our nation, defense attorneys "throw the constitution in the faces" of the prosecution and Judges protecting the Rights of the accused. In criminal law, the 4th and 5th Amendments contained in the Bill of Rights are cited in thousands of motions each day as well as Miranda warnings stated by police officers upon arrest. Judges, attorneys and police officers take the Constitution and the Rights guaranteed therein very seriously.

Very well said Jesse. I have idea what Bender is smokin.

Very well said Jesse. I have idea what Bender is smokin.
2783833358_6c6fa46fae.jpg

[laugh]

I'm going to need to hit the range to let off some steam. As my LTC has still not come in. SMH!!!

I was told from someone anonymous that when he/she dropped off the application, the officer put it on a stack of applications about 2 feet high, no exaggeration at all. While I'm not surprised, it's still an absolute outrage. I'm sure there are tons of citizens that don't even know about NES and just wait a year not knowing what the MGL clearly states. So disappointing.

... the officer put it on a stack of applications about 2 feet high, ... it's still an absolute outrage. I'm sure there are tons of citizens that don't even know about NES and just wait a year not knowing what the MGL clearly states. So disappointing.

Probably true. You should write multiple articles to their local paper and let them know the truth!

Write to a local newspaper in an extremely political city like Everett, where every newspaper company plays the ass-kissing game? It's all one big backstabbing, gossiping, and totally despicable government. Not to sound negative, I'm just too honest sometimes.

No lie, I started my LTC process this summer. I was an Everett resident. I talked to a friend... Errrr acquaintance who gave me the heads up about the terrible dragging of feet there and was told I was better off doing it somewhere else if I had that option. I changed residence to my girls in Chicopee and got it in under 3 months. :/ hit me with restrictions but I'm working on that. Everett blows. Glad I went a different route.

Last edited:
Write to a local newspaper in an extremely political city like Everett, where every newspaper company plays the ass-kissing game? It's all one big backstabbing, gossiping, and totally despicable government. Not to sound negative, I'm just too honest sometimes.

The whole city is a bunch of ass kissers,(i mean politicians). My alderman flat out told me that she doesnt want to ruffle the stations feathers because she still has to deal with them on a regular basis. She said she cant afford to cut off lines of communication.

As ive said before, this issue in everett should be taking precidence over people who are getting ltc's with restrictions. I am apparently alone on feeling this way. What they are doing in everett is not processing anyone which is the same as saying you cant have your ltc at all. Which to me is worse than saying you can have an ltc with restrictions.

Andre

Back
Top Bottom