• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who's ready for the duck opener?!

I've only shot 5 so far, all Mallards. Saw some teal this morning but they just buzzed the tower and kept on trucking.

This is all awesome. I've never been duck hunting, but would LOVE to try. I may head to my club today to see if anyone wants to deal with a "student". They always claim to be willing to help. I may put them to it.

I think it might get a bit tight in the kayak though, MrJingles.

Do people usually hunt from boats exclusively, or from shore? I was thinking from shore would work for me.

It would be nice if there were a nice calendar (in true calendar grid format) with the various seasons on it. I know either the Fair or Walmart in West Boylston used to post a listing of what is in season above the sporting goods counter. It was actually pretty useful.

I've only hunted from land. Usually paddle a loaded canoe to the spot though. I'm too clumsy to spend all day in a canoe. Best advice I got is to scout. I was actually out for a couple hours at dawn today watching where the are flying, so I can set up in the right spot. I like to hunt mid week to avoid the Saturday "crowds"

I'e been fine in the kayak, but I don't hunt from it...just to get into where my blind is...It's all necessary for retrieving birds that land in deeper water, or unwadable bottoms...I've also got a fairly large canoe I can bring out, but I've been mostly running solo, so the kayak is a bit more managable until someone wants to come along.

Still waiting for more ducks to migrate, saw a few today, passed on a pair that landed 30yds from my dekes...shouldn't have. Spooked em, fly towards the only other blind on the pond...BANG BANG. oh well!

Last edited:
Do people usually hunt from boats exclusively, or from shore? I was thinking from shore would work for me.

It would be nice if there were a nice calendar (in true calendar grid format) with the various seasons on it. I know either the Fair or Walmart in West Boylston used to post a listing of what is in season above the sporting goods counter. It was actually pretty useful.

I put the MA abstracts pdf link right on my smart phone's home page, with the waterfowl abstracts right next to it. Takes about a minute to load and get viewable but it's worth it.

I've hunted all different kinds of waters for migratory birds. Some are shallow ponds that can't be waded due to a very mucky bottom. Some are fairly deep ponds/ lakes that a small boat does well in. Some are abandoned cranberry bogs that are flooded most of the year. Until this season the only vessel I'd used was my bright red kayak, which I would paddle to a woody edge or tiny cove, set up dekes and cover the kayak with 2 large Swiss military ponchos. The kayak is perfect for getting into those shallow ponds with mucky bottoms. Draws very little water and doesn't rely on a motor which always gets stuck on debris. This season I bought this little 8 foot boat through Cabelas. I bought the accessories to go with it; back rest, double door blind cover, motor, battery and trickle charger. It's great for deep waters but not very fun in the shallow places or weedy/ lillypad areas. I paid about $1K for the entire setup and it screws along pretty nicely with the 54-lb thrust salt/freshwater motor. (5 speed forward, 2 speed reverse).
duck boat.jpg
20130912_145242.jpg

Last edited:
thats a pretty sweet rig. I also had the problem of the uncamo-colored kayak(bright yellow)...took a few cans of spray paint to it, looks alright, but definately not durable...oh well, quick touch up once a year, it'll be good as new.

Picked up one of those mojo ducks, seems like everyone I've seen has one...can't hurt right?

thats a pretty sweet rig.

Thanks. ;)

Picked up one of those mojo ducks, seems like everyone I've seen has one...can't hurt right?

Did you get one of the electronic ones? I have a Mojo "windy duck" as we call it, with wings that catch the wind and flap in one direction. One side is painted white, the other brown, so from a distance it looks pretty real.

I have one of the electric ones on the recommendation of another NES member. I think any movement in the decoy spread is a bonus.

I have a floating Mojo and the original on the pole Mojo. I think they work well most of the time, they work better in some spots than others. They seem to flare geese for some reason? I really want to add the remote on/off to them to prevent geese from flaring and to attract shy ducks. I also have a "quiver butt" that works great!

I was thinking of getting one of those electronic ones but it almost seems like cheating. Is that not the consensus of the average waterfowl hunter?

Then again, some fishermen consider using bait cheating. F*ck that. If I want to catch a striper I'm using any means necessary. [laugh]

Did you get one of the electronic ones? I have a Mojo "windy duck" as we call it, with wings that catch the wind and flap in one direction. One side is painted white, the other brown, so from a distance it looks pretty real.

Yeah...I have a tendency to jump into a new hobby with both feet...I don't like to skimp, and I enjoy having every advantage I can find/afford. I haven't seen one group of hunters yet this year without one, so of course I went right out and got one...can't wait to give it a try this weekend.

I've also "volunteered" to work 2nd shift up until thanksgiving week, which I have completely off, so I hope to update this thread with more reports of hunts. Please feel free to add your own as well!

Well hell maybe I should get one of them splashing decoys then. If everyone else and their grandmother's mailman are using those electronic ones, why shouldn't I?

So, an update, as promised. I hunted yesterday, and was greeted by a ton of rain, and a ton of wind. Good duck weather, not so much for being out in it, but thats the nature of the beast. Right after legal shoot time, a solo mallard drake landed right outside of my spread to the right, but wouldn't come any closer. Spooked him trying to get a bit closer. A little while later, another fat mallard drake came in, zooming from left to right. Dropped him, nice healthy double curl. Finally, when I was about to call it, all hell broke loose. My blind sits at the opening of a small cove, facing away from the cove into the open water. Another mallard drake came in hot, completely committed. Dropped him, he was so close he almost landed in the blind. Right after the shot, I see 2 more flying over the blind real low, must have landed in the cove without me noticing and spooked at the shot...no chance on those two, was not prepared at all. oh well, two birds is a good day for me.

Sweet. I sat in my little bog spot at 5:30 yesterday morning all bundled up with waders, fleece, jacket, poncho... snug as a bug. It was pouring and windy as shit but I stayed nice and dry. Didn't bother with decoys or calls as this particular spot has held woody's lately, and I've never bothered to buy woody stuff because I rarely see them. Loaded up at 6:03 and about 1/2 hour later a male woody came in. He'll be an appetizer tonight.

Went to the same spot this morning with mallard decoys and calls. A foursome came in on the other side of the bog but weren't having anything to do with my setup. I like to think I'm an ok caller but these four must be locals because they seem to know my kill zone. [laugh]
At about 6:45 some other hunters from across the pond (adjacent to my bog spots) unleash all hell. I counted 10 shots in one string. The foursome takes off and I called it quits.

interesting, surprised to see woodys right now. I don't do much calling, as I am brand spanking new and am still figuring the whole calling aspect out.

I've got all of thanksgiving week off, so I I should have a few more reports, hopefully this cold weather pushes some new birds into the area...haven't seen many birds at all either hunting or just on bodies of water I drive by.

interesting, surprised to see woodys right now.

Between the one I got during the 10 day early duck, and the one I got 2 days ago, They were the 1st woody's I'd ever shot.

I cooked the breasts of the last one last night in a casserole dish at 375 for about 20 minutes. I kinda just threw a marinade together of worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, black pepper, olive oil, minced garlic and a little marsala wine, and it came out awesome. I usually throw them on the grille but I didn't feel like setting up my charcoal grille late last night after work. I'm going out again tomorrow morning, hoping to ambush those stubborn-ass mallards in my spot. [laugh]

Aha. I mainly hunt on the Cape.

Hey have you noticed you and I have been the only posters in this thread for like the last one and a half pages? [laugh]

Aha. I mainly hunt on the Cape.

Hey have you noticed you and I have been the only posters in this thread for like the last one and a half pages? [laugh]

NH closes it's inland season for two weeks for some reason. It just opened back up Tues morning. I'll be back out Sat am.

I've always wanted to try duck hunting but don't know jack shit about it.

Could anyone point me towards a primer on duck hunting? What would I need to get started without investing thousands of dollars?

I have a Mossberg 500 with a bird barrel. What kinds of chokes would I need?

I've always wanted to try duck hunting but don't know jack shit about it.

Could anyone point me towards a primer on duck hunting? What would I need to get started without investing thousands of dollars?

I have a Mossberg 500 with a bird barrel. What kinds of chokes would I need?

You need a hunting license, mass duck stamp, federal duck stamp, shotgun plugged to hold 3 shells max, steel shot, no lead, modified choke. Best to have someone who duck hunts take you out before you invest in the addiction.

You need a hunting license, mass duck stamp, federal duck stamp, shotgun plugged to hold 3 shells max, steel shot, no lead, modified choke. Best to have someone who duck hunts take you out before you invest in the addiction.

I won't need the Mass duck stamp because I'm from NH, but thanks for the rest of the list.

I'll try to find someone to take me.

You'll be hooked even if you don't shoot anything. The excitement from the birds flying in was enough to get me going.

My avatar is from a hunt 5 years ago in CA. Pass shooting through 8ft reeds in knee deep water. Getting there was half the fun.

Duck is my favorite hunt. I love getting out there before light, setting up the decoys and getting settled in and waiting for the fly. A lot of times, just as the sky is turning from black to first sign of light, the ducks are already flying and they're usually flying pretty low. You won't see them but you'll hear that "whoosh" or "pewpewpew" right over your head and that's when the giddy anticipation starts. Did they see my decoys? Is my calling enticing them back? Giggity giggity.

NH closes it's inland season for two weeks for some reason. It just opened back up Tues morning. I'll be back out Sat am.

In MA we get "early duck", which for the coastal zone this year was Oct 16th to the 26th. Then they get a break, and it started again last Friday and goes all through January 11th. The central and Berkshire zones are a little different but I don't hunt them. There's also early goose, regular goose and north coastal late goose, which goes through some time in February.

Happy Thanksgiving people! Bagged a couple mallards this morning at sunrise. The drake has a slight case of rice breast but whatever. He will be eaten
20131128_065345.jpg

Back
Top Bottom