Who's ready for "Fire" in your preparation plan?

I'm always amazed by something as small as a cigarette starting a fire. Is it because the tip is actively burning? Because I've stopped cigar ash on myself countless times and there was never any concern of ignition.
It's that it's smoldering. Think of a wick. It sits there and puts energy slowly into its environment. Often it's next to something like a couch - that is built to burn: the cloth is tinder, stuffing is kindling, and the frame is fuel. By the time the frame catches, you can burn flooring, etc. Wall to wall carpeting just accelerates the same transition.

(I'm sure some of our resident fire fighters can explain it better)

It's that it's smoldering. Think of a wick. It sits there and puts energy slowly into its environment. Often it's next to something like a couch - that is built to burn: the cloth is tinder, stuffing is kindling, and the frame is fuel. By the time the frame catches, you can burn flooring, etc. Wall to wall carpeting just accelerates the same transition.

(I'm sure some of our resident fire fighters can explain it better)
I don't know about you, but our troop leaders insisted that
anything larger than a pine needle was fuel.

I don't know about you, but our troop leaders insisted that
anything larger than a pine needle was fuel.
As I wasn't cool enough to be a scout, I'm basically all self-taught. Since the stuffing (in modern furniture) is probably some sort of crosslinked polymer, maybe we can compromise on "accelerant"? That the individual threads of your fabric cover are "tinder" is a hill I'll die on. ;)

80’ descent is not that high on ropes, few seconds at most til ground comes up and you brake, even if you’re bounding or braking all the way down. A good steel beam kept in a closet with the harness kit should suffice for a short one time use across the window frame and wall. Just ease yourself out and tension the rope at first to maintain stability and not rip the window frame out.

Air Assault !

As I wasn't cool enough to be a scout, I'm basically all self-taught. Since the stuffing (in modern furniture) is probably some sort of crosslinked polymer, maybe we can compromise on "accelerant"? That the individual threads of your fabric cover are "tinder" is a hill I'll die on. ;)
Need to splay the threads.

Bro, there are too many classes of fires, A, B, C, D.

If I am going to prepare for a mob to randomly show up and firebomb my house, I need to know.
Well, that depends, what kind of security system do you recommend? What’s the best camera system?

Do I need to buy a new gun to put behind my new bed ?

What kind of safe should that be in? Are fingerprint vaults still worth buying?

Well, that depends, what kind of security system do you recommend? What’s the best camera system?

Do I need to buy a new gun to put behind my new bed ?

What kind of safe should that be in? Are fingerprint vaults still worth buying?
OMG. That is too much for my head. Can you break it down into different threads and ask for opinions?

What's the best type of extinguisher for the home? Best for snuffing out a molotov? All I have is BC. Do they make ABCD?
CO2 does a good job of removing the Oxygen from a gasoline fire. But you have to be pretty close to the fire, to point the extinguisher's horn at the base of the flames. Work the CO2 side to side, pushing back the flames until they are a narrow strip (getting smaller) on the far side. Unless you are wearing fire resistance gear, don't advance into to area you have under control, due to the danger of flash-over. With CO2, you have to work fast, because the tanks run out fast. This side-to-side application of CO2 works okay, WHEN nothing else is burning besides gasoline.

Dry chemical works on gas too, but the typical sizes people have at home, are not large enough for 16 oz of gasoline on fire over a 10' x 10' fire area.

The second method is using a water hose with a Fog nozzle, if it's just small mist type nozzle, then use the Shower setting. The idea is to COOL off the gas.

Using a narrow hard spray can spread the gas around, making the fire larger. But, if that's all you have.. Try it.

If someone throws a firebomb on the roof of your house, you will have to use a narrow spray nozzle just to reach the fire. If possible, adjust the spray so that it spreads out before contacting the flames. The water will drop the temperature and you might be able to put out the fire, before it eats into your attic.

Seems like standing in your front yard fighting your house fire, could open you to attacks from behind. So, having someone watching out for you as you work, might be worth thinking about.

The one thing this post has pointed out to me is that I need to get a collapsible ladder to egress out of our upstairs windows.

I know! I’ll post a thread asking what people think and what model they’d recommend. I know a few certain people on NES who just love those kinds of threads. Might as well make them happy!

I've had to use these flat (oval shaped) fire extinguishers on occasion in projects to meet accessibility standards in existing buildings where a standard wall mounted FE would present a violation and installing a new cabinet wouldn't be feasible.
They might be a good fit for backpacks, cars, etc.

I think the major issue with FEs are carried equipment is weight. Unless you are expecting to deal with pyros there a many other items which are a higher priority per pound in a SHTF kit.

Home defense on the other hand is a little different. But if you are dealing with a mob, I'm not sure how even having a FE will help if said mobs keeps lobbing multiple Molotov's or worse at your position. In a vehicle maybe, if you are able to drive off, but in a collision the FE would present a large missile impact hazard to the passenger compartment.

I'm always amazed by something as small as a cigarette starting a fire. Is it because the tip is actively burning? Because I've dropped cigar ash on myself countless times and there was never any concern of ignition.
They started the majority of fires ive been to.

They are an ignition source that can start fires immediately or hours later as they smolder

Back
Top Bottom