Who's ready for "Fire" in your preparation plan?

My idiot neighbor that flips cigarettes out his 2nd story window caught the sill plate on fire, prolly smouldered in the wall for 10-12 hours before it found air and started spreading really fast. (balloon framed) i was able to knock it down with the ABC extinguishers on my jeeps till the fire dept came. Moron owes me 100.00 and a thank you wouldn't hurt. not gonna hold my breath. PSA= no one ever pays for you're extinguisher.

Last edited:

What do you have available for an anchor? How would you handle flames from windows you have to repel over or by? What sort of line could be used that will not melt when exposed to the heat of flames?

Not suggesting you don’t pursue the idea, just trying to trouble shoot.
They make chain link roll up escape ladders you can hook on the window sill and unroll down a few floors. Keep it under your bed.

That chain link ladder is a good idea, till the guy that lives a few stories below see's it out his window and gets his hole family on it before or even after you pass, whats the load rating on that lol.

Still if I lived in a building I would have something.

My idiot neighbor that flips cigarettes out his 2nd story window caught the sill plate on fire, prolly smouldered in the wall for 10-12 hours before it found air and started spreading really fast. (balloon framed) i was able to knock it down with the ABC extinguishers on my jeeps till the fire dept came. Moron owes me 100.00 and a thank you wouldn't hurt. not gonna hold my breath. PSA= no one ever pays for you're extinguisher.
Responded to a 3AM house fire caused by the teenager smoking a butt and leaving it on the window sill.

I'm kind of F'd if my building catches fire. I'm about 80' up. If both stairwells were to catch fire, it's pretty much game over. I've actually (and maybe crazily?) considered looking into repelling gear just in case.
The whole video (which is long) is worth watching, but they talk specifically about firefighter escape kits where I've cued it up.

.So the main question comes down too, what is your "fire suppression" plan? Personally I have a couple house extinguishers, but probably not enough to put out someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at my house. Though the guns will come in handy when a mob tries to stop you from putting the fire out.

Thoughts?

So you are epxecting to run around with a fire extinguisher on one hand, a gun on the other and shoot people while you put the fire out?

I'm kind of F'd if my building catches fire. I'm about 80' up. If both stairwells were to catch fire, it's pretty much game over. I've actually (and maybe crazily?) considered looking into repelling gear just in case.
Shoot a .40, I read the expansion from the massive Shockwave sucks all the air when it collapses and puts out fires.

On NES I've seen many preparedness threads about how much ammo, what guns, food, water and a plethora of them on how to stay alive in a SHTF scenario. I'd like to propose a different topic, Fire. In today's world the mobs of protesters seem to use fire as their primary weapon. Fire bombing becomes a real life threat to you and your family and one that can come out of nowhere. Probably not as much of a threat for those in rural areas, but those in the city or suburbs this can become a real concern.

So the main question comes down too, what is your "fire suppression" plan? Personally I have a couple house extinguishers, but probably not enough to put out someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at my house. Though the guns will come in handy when a mob tries to stop you from putting the fire out.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with being prepared for any eventuality, but if it comes down to people firebombing houses it is too late to prepare. At that point there will be small platoons of like minded people probably ex military taking care of business that should have been taken care of a while ago.

So you are epxecting to run around with a fire extinguisher on one hand, a gun on the other and shoot people while you put the fire out?

Not expecting to, but it'll be more like wife with fire extinguisher and me covering. Thought at the point they are throwing fire bombs I doubt we'll have the ability to stop it. More like taking a few of the SOBs down.

Another option is to have a drain spout before and after your main house water supply shutoff. This will let you have an actual hose in place where you can hook it up and shut off all other water sources to have full pressure available. With a 100ft hose I can reach anywhere in (or around) the house from my basement.
55 gallon drum in attic. Hose on each floor. Not enough. Just get out. Make sure spare car keys and cash source plus survival bag is OUTside. And secure.

What about one of those “spare air” canisters for backup for scuba?

It’s just compressed air.

What about just staying low and getting out ASAP [rofl]

That's not crazy at all, get a bailout kit for firefighters and people that use bucket trucks and boom lifts and such and keep it and a simple climbing harness handy.

If you need to practice just find a really steep hill, hook the bailout hook on a 3 or 4" sapling and try walking backwards down it, using the figure 8 to control your descent.

What do you have available for an anchor? How would you handle flames from windows you have to repel over or by? What sort of line could be used that will not melt when exposed to the heat of flames?

Not suggesting you don’t pursue the idea, just trying to trouble shoot.
all those problems are solved by just buying a bailout kit, they use flame retardent kevlar rope , a special hook for hooking onto window sills and shit, and a figure 8. A bailout kit and a harness would be worth it if you live more than 2 or 3 floors up and an escape ladder won't work.

Roving bands of Antifa urchins isn't our concern here. Wildfire is. Join Firewise, create a defensible perimeter around your home (helps with sight-lines as well), and ensure you that you have adequate water and the ability to deliver it on your structure.

On NES I've seen many preparedness threads about how much ammo, what guns, food, water and a plethora of them on how to stay alive in a SHTF scenario. I'd like to propose a different topic, Fire. In today's world the mobs of protesters seem to use fire as their primary weapon. Fire bombing becomes a real life threat to you and your family and one that can come out of nowhere. Probably not as much of a threat for those in rural areas, but those in the city or suburbs this can become a real concern.

So the main question comes down too, what is your "fire suppression" plan? Personally I have a couple house extinguishers, but probably not enough to put out someone throwing a Molotov cocktail at my house. Though the guns will come in handy when a mob tries to stop you from putting the fire out.

Thoughts?

If you're really serious about this - you ought to start considering what would really happen in a situation like that.

You're going to be confronted with making a quick decision on whether to shoot the other phuckers that are going to be throwing more flaming bombs - or - do you put out the fire just started by the first molotov that they threw at your house.

Which do you do FIRST?

My vote is going to be with shooting the other rioters first. Under the same principle as "once you know you're in a hole - stop digging".

Once you know you're in a riot - you've got to stop the rioting first - before you can concentrate on putting out the fire. There's no way you can ever make progress putting out the fire - when you're being constantly assaulted by more rioters.

Look at what happened with Rittenhouse - he was trying to stop them from setting the car dealership on fire - and he ended up fighting for his life in the street.

After we got married, my parents had the habit of
opening $100 savings accounts
just to give us the bargain-basement kitchen appliances.

Years later I'm in the basement when I hear screams of
"the toaster oven is on fire". I tear upstairs to find
The Bride, her sister, and brother-in-law doing precisely this:
ohno-omg.gif

I'm all like, "throw it on the fücking lawn!".

[rofl]

My wife did that once - she took a red hot pot off the stove and put it on the crappy formica countertop. A few minutes later she smells smoke and goes into the kitchen and the counter is burning. She's like "it's on fire it's on fire what do I do what do I do!??".

I came in right at that point and just said "put it the phuck out!!" and wet a dish towel and threw it on the fire.

What about just staying low and getting out ASAP [rofl]
Really? I figured having fresh air vs sucking (in burnt couch fumes) burnt coutch was a good idea. Yup. Stay low and get out is good, but if not?

Edit: Damn, guess I had a drink or three when I wrote that... lol

Last edited:
That chain link ladder is a good idea, till the guy that lives a few stories below see's it out his window and gets his hole family on it before or even after you pass, whats the load rating on that lol.
We just covered that, dude. [shocked]
Really? I figured having fresh air vs sucking burnt coutch was a good idea. Yup. Stay low and get out is good, but if not?
(You'd think there was a Megathread for that, wouldn't you?)

Really? I figured having fresh air vs sucking burnt coutch was a good idea. Yup. Stay low and get out is good, but if not?
I think the theory of what you're onto is really attractive. It's just not practical and would probably serve to be more of a problem than a solution

I'm always amazed by something as small as a cigarette starting a fire. Is it because the tip is actively burning? Because I've dropped cigar ash on myself countless times and there was never any concern of ignition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom