Who's ready for "Fire" in your preparation plan?

I'm kind of F'd if my building catches fire. I'm about 80' up. If both stairwells were to catch fire, it's pretty much game over. I've actually (and maybe crazily?) considered looking into repelling gear just in case.
Stick your head out the window and look down....if there are windows below u expect a 1 second rappel before your lifeline burns through.

What's the best type of extinguisher for the home? Best for snuffing out a molotov? All I have is BC. Do they make ABCD?
A class BC is probably not the best for a home since B is for flammable liquids and C is for electrical fires. Class A is for typical wood, paper. No such thing as ABCD since class D is for flammable metals like lithium etc.

What you want is a class ABC. Either 5 or 10 lb.

Yes, a few Molotov Cocktails on the roof might be a problem - we’re replacing the roof with metal next year for purposes other than that minimal risk. Getting close enough to toss one through a window is possible, but not likely. I had anti-smash film put on my new windows before they were installed year before last, on the 1st floor. Much easier/cheaper to install when the windows were all just laid out on the lawn.

If it comes, it will be coming ~300yd straight down the entry street to my neighborhood…three courts off a 1/2mi road with natural barriers to each side of the road. My 2nd floor windows are an extra 10ft above the road deck, with a gully to climb through to reach the front yard hill. I have dope cards for landmarks visible out those windows.

But no BLM/Antifa-type rioters would be coming down that street - my SoNH neighborhood is not on the beaten path. They would perish well before reaching me. Worse come to worst, my bug out would be to the woods behind my house - behind a stone wall almost level with my roof peak. Watch, wait and go back in when OK. If they don’t leave, I’ll firebomb it myself before heading out. Might stay to pick off the rats jumping ship 😈

If the sh*t hits the fan, I'm going to Cams' house. He's ready for anything!
And all this time at work you guys thought I still lived in a tent in the woods. lol You know you’re always welcome here brother. I know you can shoot and you're Chinese so you prolly know karate too. We can put you to work. lmao

Stick your head out the window and look down....if there are windows below u expect a 1 second rappel before your lifeline burns through.

I think we concluded the rappelling (or repelling, for that matter) is not all that realistic and that I should just buy a hang glider instead.

I think we concluded the rappelling (or repelling, for that matter) is not all that realistic and that I should just buy a hang glider instead.
1920px-BASE_Jumping_from_Sapphire_Tower_in_Istanbul.jpg

What's the best type of extinguisher for the home? Best for snuffing out a molotov? All I have is BC. Do they make ABCD?
After some extensive research I went with the Amerex Model B402 extinguisher. It is rated for A, B, and C fires.

First, ditch those flow restrictors in your faucets.

Next, a hose is useful if the fire is small or outside. If the fire is big, yoy need to get out because the smoke will f*** you immediately. A couple breaths of burning synthetic items will put you down.

Last if you have a well pump and hook up at the feed line before the pressure tank, the lint should be large to the tank, then reduced down to feed the house. My house line is 1-1/4" and my well pump can send 80ish gpm which would only be restricted by the 3/4" contractor hose I have.

I also have a fire pond above my house. I just need a fire truck to turn into a prepper rig.....

I tied into my underground sprinkler, it had a 1” 90 deg elbow that fed the system. I changed it to a 1” Tee and utilize a threaded ball valve, this gave me an option to use the NPT to garden hose brass adapter. This is for the 110’ slip & slide we set up in the summer for parties

Some people are just too afraid to live without fear. May I suggest a binky for all you worry warts

Pacifier_1024x1024@2x.jpg

How about slate roof, Hardiplank siding, and some of that breakproof window glass laminate? That would, at least, keep Molotovs on the outside

How about slate roof, Hardiplank siding, and some of that breakproof window glass laminate? That would, at least, keep Molotovs on the outside
Exterior fires love soffit vents. That's one of the main ways mulch and grill fires get into houses.

Don't wear man-made polyester etc. clothing. It'll stick to skin if it burns/melts compounding the harm. Good reasoning to get the ladies to remove their panty hose.

Last edited:
I keep one of these next to my bed in addition to a traditional ABC extinguisher. If my house is filled with smoke, this could buy me a few minutes to grab the kiddo and get out — however, I’ve heard that use of these result in an exothermic reaction and can result in second-degree burns of the lungs. Better than dead I guess?

What about one of those “spare air” canisters for backup for scuba?

It’s just compressed air.

Don't wear man-made polyester etc. clothing. It'll stick to skin if it burns/melts compounding the harm. Good reasoning to get the ladies to remove their panty hose.
Almost all web gear and armor has a nylon shell that will melt. It's a reason why there's interest in spider silk to replace it since wool itself (or inferior cotton) was replace by nylon.

Back
Top Bottom