• NO. IN GROUND

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have an inground pool that’s been open for two months. What is the need for a poll?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
When do you guys close your pools? I've never had one until just now and the low for the next couple of nights is 50F so fall is right around the corner.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When do you guys close your pools? I've never had one until just now and the low for the next couple of nights is 50F so fall is right around the corner.
I usually go till late September/early October in good years. Close it before the leaves start falling. My friend does the week after Labor Day, but he misses Indian summer.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan as well - last week of Sept or 1st week of Oct.
If it’s a decent weekend in mid sept and a hurricane may be coming up the coast, I’ll close. Especially if less than ideal swimming weather is forecast for the next few weeks. If the forecast is good, keep it open. However, I’ve been burned by the weatherman before.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place near the thing we went that time
Trust me, your pool wants to be open and running. Open it at the earliest date you can possibly stomach the little work you will have to do to keep it clean, even if no one is going to swim for some time. Then close it as late as possible, again even if it’s not being used. Year to year you will have almost no problems maintaining perfect pool water. I don’t have room for a pool of my own, but I open my friend’s pool the last weekend in April and close it the weekend after Halloween. It’s not getting used all that time, but the backyard is. A sparkling blue swimming pool is way nicer to sit around during your fall bbq/ s’more roasting than that ugly cover.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I use one of those loop lock covers that the baby elephant can stand on. It's a safety thing more than anything else. I am about 255lbs and I have walked across it.
Closing third week of September this year, but some years have gone as late as Columbus day weekend.
We had my daughter's 16th birthday party this past weekend and it was down right cold and drizzly. Cranked the pool heat up and lit a 3' tall bonfire that blazed all day and night. Kids had a blast.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Do you guys close your pools yourselves or have a pro do it? Do any companies insure their work in case pipes freeze or something?

Bob P

NES Member
Rating - 96.8%
30   1   0
I used to close the weekend after Labor Day. The cold nights kill it fast. Since I moved to Texas I keep it open till Thanksgiving :D

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Do you guys close your pools yourselves or have a pro do it? Do any companies insure their work in case pipes freeze or something?
Do it myself with our above ground

As long as the water is clean I do the following:
1. shock it
2. dump a full bottle of the blue algaecide (copper based)
3. run the filter overnight to circulate chems
4. Backwash the filter in the morning, take everything apart, drain below the skimmer and cover for the winter

That's all I really do and the water is in great shape in the spring/summer when opening

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I didn't bother to put up the pool this year. We just turn the hot tub down to around 80 in the summer. The past week has been awesome for a nightly soak.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
None of the guys I have used ever mentioned anything about insurance. I usually just have it done, but have opened my pool many times. Opening is easy, but closing is a pain in the ass. They blow the lines out and two guys who do hundreds of pool closings have a much easier time than me and my wife doing it.
Neither opening or closing is difficult. Watch a few youtube videos and you should be gtg.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking this might be one of those early closing years. I was hoping for a late season but not looking good.

Closing is super easy for above ground, a little more work for in ground. I recommend bringing pool pump and filter inside over winter if you can. Even with two drain plugs removed, my pump basket cracked last year, somehow. Sucked finding out after the pool was already full.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just gave mine a medium cleaning last night. Had to stop short due to mosquitoes. Haven't done much otherwise since a few weeks ago before vacation. Will likely vac and treat this weekend, and probably jump in after mowing.

Usually close it around or after Halloween. The later and cleaner I close it, the easier it is to open and get clean. With an in-ground it might be a different matter. I just clean everything like crazy, then backwash and flush the heck out of it, using the treated water to kill mosquitoes in the catch basin. Then, right before the water gets too low, I dump any remaining chlorine and maybe calcium into it to give it a good mixing. Then I backwash/flush the rest until it is below the skimmer. After that, I let it drain out the backwash hose using gravity until below the jet/nozzle. Then I dismantly the pump and filter, and drain the filter tank, and cover it in place. I put all the plumbing in the basement, and usually siphon to maybe 2 inches below the jet, so it will be decent for the Winter. If we get a lot of November/December rain, I might siphon again to get the water level down again.

I've tried to swim every Columbus Day since I've had it (2003), and think I've only missed a couple. No heat.

(Edited to change Veteran's Day to Columbus Day)

Last edited:

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Headed to FL in the morning for a few days, supposed to be 90+ the whole time I am there

Multiple news alerts for "feels like" conditions over 105 degrees.

If Jet Blue doesn't screw up I plan on being in the pool by 1230.

I'll post a pic of the thermometer tomorrow afternoon.

Top Bottom