• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who's looking to buy the 365?

Sig does make a baseplate for the 10 rounds that has a finger extension:
The 10 round with extension is shorter than the 12 round extension. In my case the 10 round sit about mid pinky, where the 12 round lets me get my whole pinky on it.

The 10 round with extension is shorter than the 12 round extension. In my case the 10 round sit about mid pinky, where the 12 round lets me get my whole pinky on it.
Yes I'd think that the 12 rounder would give you better purchase but you're in NH so you can use 12 rounders. It looks like Cuz is in MA. so if he needs a bit more length this provides it over the flat base.

The gun comes with that one, it doesn't extend the back of the grip, which is the part that's too short. It's the full grip extension that people want.
I prefer to have my fingers griping instead of the back since the majority of my hand is still on the back but everyone's different. Unfortunately in MA that's the only legal choice that he has to give him anymore length as far as I know.

I prefer to have my fingers griping instead of the back since the majority of my hand is still on the back but everyone's different. Unfortunately in MA that's the only legal choice that he has to give him anymore length as far as I know.

I haven't laid hands on the 12 rounder for P365, but I like the feel of the G43X better due to the longer grip, which looks like it mimics the 12 round P365.

I'd expect Sig will make 10 rounders soon since the P365 XL is rumored to have been submitted to Mass - if Sig makes 10 round that fits the XL, it should fit the regular P365 if you swap the baseplate to the 12-round extension.

there's also aftermarket - nothing great yet but maybe in the future.

Last edited:
There are at least two companies making pinky extensions for the ten round magazines that give you more real estate than the stock pinky extension. I have both, and they're both great.

The first one is made by Pearce Grips, and they're only $9.95 each:

PG-365_1

And here's a link to those: Pearce Grips

The second one is made by NDZ Performance, made of aluminum, and are pricier, at $19.95 and up:

full

Here's a link to the NDZ products: Sig Sauer P365 Magazine Extensions - Solid Aluminum Grip Extenders And More | NDZ Performance

And actually, I just saw that Obsidian Arms also makes one too, but I don't have one of them, so I can't attest to their quality, fit and feel. But they look nice.

Frank

The problem with all of the above mentioned extensions is that they only extend the front strap and not the back. I would like one that closely matches the Sig 12 round mag.

The problem with all of the above mentioned extensions is that they only extend the front strap and not the back. I would like one that closely matches the Sig 12 round mag.

yeah I agree but thanks for the links, Frank.

I'm still hoping to get an XL grip module though I think it would need the safety to match mine, plus available 10 rounders.

Serious question - why the disdain for the manual safety? Maybe I'm old but many semi-auto pistols prior to striker fired had a similar safety. Once your used to swiping the manual safety, it becomes second nature. Kind of like throwing the safety to "off" on a rifle when you jump a deer in the woods - it's all one motion.

Its not a distain for manual safeties. Its a disdain for how most people are not willing to put the time in to actually train with one properly.
If you have a gun with a manual safety, you need to practice drawing and sweeping the safety off until it is 100% instinct.

I like to compete with both a 1911 and a Glock. And about once per year, I draw the 1911 and forget to sweep the safety off under the pressure of competition. (I also occasionally will sweep the nonexistant safety off my Glock)

Because of this failure, I won't carry a gun with a manual safety. Even though I practice with a manual safety PROPERLY, I still screw up about once per year because I also shoot striker fired guns without a manual safety.

I probably only see 1 in 10 people who carry manual safety guns practicing correctly.

Most get to the range, take their gun out of the holster, take the safety off. Clear it. Load a mag with practice ammo and shoot. Then they shoot 100 rounds, reload with their carry ammo, put the safety back on and leave.

In their entire range session, they drew from a holster (or came up from low ready if your club prohibits holster draw) and swiped off the safety exactly once. (!!!!) They swiped the safety on when they came off target exactly zero times.

They should have been practicing swiping the safety off EVERY TIME they came up on target. But instead, they were lazy and just left the safety off. Those people are completely UNPREPARED to use a manual safety gun in a defensive situation.

So unless you shoot only guns with manual safeties and can regularly practice properly, most are better served by a gun without a manual safety.

But what do I know. I'm too dumb to remember what gun I'm carrying.

Bottom line is that unless you are coming to the P365 from a 1911, spend the few extra bucks on the secondary market and buy one without a safety.

Its not a distain for manual safeties. Its a disdain for how most people are not willing to put the time in to actually train with one properly.
If you have a gun with a manual safety, you need to practice drawing and sweeping the safety off until it is 100% instinct.

I like to compete with both a 1911 and a Glock. And about once per year, I draw the 1911 and forget to sweep the safety off under the pressure of competition. (I also occasionally will sweep the nonexistant safety off my Glock)

Because of this failure, I won't carry a gun with a manual safety. Even though I practice with a manual safety PROPERLY, I still screw up about once per year because I also shoot striker fired guns without a manual safety.

I probably only see 1 in 10 people who carry manual safety guns practicing correctly.

Most get to the range, take their gun out of the holster, take the safety off. Clear it. Load a mag with practice ammo and shoot. Then they shoot 100 rounds, reload with their carry ammo, put the safety back on and leave.

In their entire range session, they drew from a holster (or came up from low ready if your club prohibits holster draw) and swiped off the safety exactly once. (!!!!) They swiped the safety on when they came off target exactly zero times.

They should have been practicing swiping the safety off EVERY TIME they came up on target. But instead, they were lazy and just left the safety off. Those people are completely UNPREPARED to use a manual safety gun in a defensive situation.

So unless you shoot only guns with manual safeties and can regularly practice properly, most are better served by a gun without a manual safety.

Bottom line is that unless you are coming to the P365 from a 1911, spend the few extra bucks on the secondary market and buy one without a safety.

Thanks dcmdon - great logical explanation and reason for going striker fired vs 1911 style manual safety. I can see where using two different battery of arms with respect to a manual safety or no manual safety could certainly present a muscle memory glitch at the most inopportune time - namely a life or death crisis situation. I come from a time when the choice was a dasa revolver or an auto loader with manual safety so your perspective is enlightening.

But isn't all this a reason for more proper practice? Taking a risk of an ND over proper practice seems a little out of balance to me.

For the record, I like having a manual safety, I can't remember ever hearing about an ND where the gun had a manual safety that failed to keep the gun "safe". Of course I've been shooting for decades, and my reason for practicing was CC not competition (sure I enjoy some amiture stuff, but the reason is CC). I do acknowledge your point about practice. Depending on range rules, I include draw or low ready with the safety on, to 1 DA and 2 SA, or 3 SA depending on the gun (first 2 center mass then 1 head), rinse and repeat. While I start with the safety on, it's gotten to the point where I don't even notice when I flip it off.

So ultimately my opinion is (for whatever it's worth) manual safety or DA/SA (carried hammer down), and an absolute ton of practice. Not mag dumps or tight groups (maybe some tight groups), but the first 3 shots over and over and over, until you don't have to think about it, leaving your mind to deal with the "should I shoot" question, and you body "how to shoot". Those first shots are what will matter. And before someone says it, you also need to practice clearing failures and mag changes as separate routines, you don't need to draw, dump 15 rounds, change mags, and dump 15 more. If you think you're going to get into a 30 round gunfight, I'm going to start questioning your judgement, you need to know when getting the F out of there is the way to go.

This is different for a competition shooter, they practice to fit the competition.

I suppose you could always just opt not to use the manual safety...

I think in a chaotic and adrenaline filled situation it's possible you might engage the safety during the draw, like if you were fumbling with the gun to get it out. And you don't get any benefit of reducing accidental discharge risk.

I like DA/SA best but don't know of a good option in this size range.

I like DA/SA best but don't know of a good option in this size range.
Have to agree with this. For the longest time my CC was a Walther PP, but the choices for a new gun are limited (tried a couple and wasn't happy). The P365 just fits well and accuracy is instinctive. But I still haven't switched because I'm not at the point where thr change in safety is automatic (PP is up-off, P365 is down-off). I figure when I get to 1000 round (three at a time), I should be good.

As stated above it is all a matter of practice. I shot 3 defensive handgun courses (3 days each, ~800 rds/course) with a 1911 and just automatically cycled the safety when I got on target/reholstered each time. Very few drill like this, and very few clubs allow it so I can see the potential problem.

I got to finger bang a 365 SAS the other day. What a fantastic carry piece. The sights were phenomenal, although you'll have to train with them to get used to them. It takes all the P365 accessories including holsters. The store had it at $575. I'm debating making it my next purchase. Size and weight aren't even in the same zip code as my G26/3.

All this debate about different mag extensions. Why not just get the 365XL. I like my stock g43 and don't feel inadequate because of the 43x or 48. I "like" the 365, I "love" the 365 sas and "love" the 365xl. Im just waiting for a 365xl sas then ill pony up. But for now the g43 does just fine for me.

len2a has the right idea regarding training around a safety.. Being in MA i prefer most safety models even though i dont use them because with safety models, they dont mess with the trigger nearly as much.

I think I've posted this before, but for those who didn't see it:

This is a mag extension that simulates the 12 rd P365 shape, but doesn't add rounds. Makes an already expensive mag $24 more expensive, but for those who can't stand the existing backstrap corners, this might be one solution over buying another P365 in the XL size. Well, at least while those in MA still have to deal with 10rds only.

I think I've posted this before, but for those who didn't see it:

This is a mag extension that simulates the 12 rd P365 shape, but doesn't add rounds. Makes an already expensive mag $24 more expensive, but for those who can't stand the existing backstrap corners, this might be one solution over buying another P365 in the XL size. Well, at least while those in MA still have to deal with 10rds only.

i saw those, but at that price I wanted to hear from someone that tried it.

So who currently has the best price for a new P365 in MA?

Thanks for everyone’s input. I grabbed one today from the guys over at Shooting Supply in Westport. It’s a nice place to shop, great prices, and friendly folks. I’d recommend them to anyone in the area.

All this debate about different mag extensions. Why not just get the 365XL. I like my stock g43 and don't feel inadequate because of the 43x or 48.

No MA-legal mags for XL - that's the point of the discussion.

Someone posted about modifying the mag for 10 rounds - I want factory mags for a carry weapon. (or some high quality mag vendor at least).

No MA-legal mags for XL - that's the point of the discussion.

Someone posted about modifying the mag for 10 rounds - I want factory mags for a carry weapon. (or some high quality mag vendor at least).

Yes, but at $6.25 couldn't this be a viable solution?

I got to finger bang a 365 SAS the other day. What a fantastic carry piece. The sights were phenomenal, although you'll have to train with them to get used to them. It takes all the P365 accessories including holsters. The store had it at $575. I'm debating making it my next purchase. Size and weight aren't even in the same zip code as my G26/3.
20191231_160405.jpg Just picked mine up a couple of days ago.

But isn't all this a reason for more proper practice? Taking a risk of an ND over proper practice seems a little out of balance to me.

For the record, I like having a manual safety, I can't remember ever hearing about an ND where the gun had a manual safety that failed to keep the gun "safe". Of course I've been shooting for decades, and my reason for practicing was CC not competition (sure I enjoy some amiture stuff, but the reason is CC). I do acknowledge your point about practice. Depending on range rules, I include draw or low ready with the safety on, to 1 DA and 2 SA, or 3 SA depending on the gun (first 2 center mass then 1 head), rinse and repeat. While I start with the safety on, it's gotten to the point where I don't even notice when I flip it off.

So ultimately my opinion is (for whatever it's worth) manual safety or DA/SA (carried hammer down), and an absolute ton of practice. Not mag dumps or tight groups (maybe some tight groups), but the first 3 shots over and over and over, until you don't have to think about it, leaving your mind to deal with the "should I shoot" question, and you body "how to shoot". Those first shots are what will matter. And before someone says it, you also need to practice clearing failures and mag changes as separate routines, you don't need to draw, dump 15 rounds, change mags, and dump 15 more. If you think you're going to get into a 30 round gunfight, I'm going to start questioning your judgement, you need to know when getting the F out of there is the way to go.

This is different for a competition shooter, they practice to fit the competition.

Its not about proper practice, or even volume of practice.

Its about your minds instinctive ability to recognize the different firearms and adjust accordingly.

I've got over 50,000 rounds through Glocks in the last 10 years and roughly 20,000 through my Les Baer and Dan Wesson 1911s.

MY problem, and a problem that I think many people would have is that OCCASIONALLY you will screw up. I've had this happen most after I've been shooting the Glock a lot and then switch to the 1911. I had the worst trouble when I decided one year to really try my best at IDPA and falling steel shooting. I did some experiments and found I actually shot my G34 better than my Dan Wesson Pointman 9. So I hammered myself with drills on the Glock for several months. I shot 3x per week at either IDPA or steel targets.

Then at the beginning of the summer a friend asked me if I wanted to do a pin shoot. It was man on man elimination and you had to clear the pins from the table. I had a pet load for this game for my Les Baer and shot that. I did pretty well but in the course of the match, TWICE I forgot to swipe the safety off.

So again, if its not about practice. Its about your ability to instinctively make the switch 100% of the time.

I'm incapable of that. Maybe you are smarter than me.

What I will tell you is that at that point in time, I was shooting more and was more proficient than 95% of all shooters. And I still screwed up.

I'm not being cocky. These days I'm squarely mid pack in any match I compete in. But a mid pack competitive shooter is still better than 90% of all the people who don't compete.

Don

Its about your minds instinctive ability to recognize the different firearms and adjust accordingly.

I've got over 50,000 rounds through Glocks in the last 10 years and roughly 20,000 through my Les Baer and Dan Wesson 1911s.

MY problem, and a problem that I think many people would have is that OCCASIONALLY you will screw up. I've had this happen most after I've been shooting the Glock a lot and then switch to the 1911. I had the worst trouble when I decided one year to really try my best at IDPA and falling steel shooting. I did some experiments and found I actually shot my G34 better than my Dan Wesson Pointman 9. So I hammered myself with drills on the Glock for several months. I shot 3x per week at either IDPA or steel targets.

Then at the beginning of the summer a friend asked me if I wanted to do a pin shoot. It was man on man elimination and you had to clear the pins from the table. I had a pet load for this game for my Les Baer and shot that. I did pretty well but in the course of the match, TWICE I forgot to swipe the safety off.

So again, if its not about practice. Its about your ability to instinctively make the switch 100% of the time.

What I will tell you is that at that point in time, I was shooting more and was more proficient than 95% of all shooters. And I still screwed up.

I'm not being cocky. These days I'm squarely mid pack in any match I compete in. But a mid pack competitive shooter is still better than 90% of all the people who don't compete.

Don

Don, how long did the mistakes delay your shooting?

I think that people choose manual safeties because they think the reduced risk of an ND is of greater value than the reduced risk of a half to one second delay making a deadly difference in a combat situation. The former is a risk every day you carry, while the latter is a risk in the one in a million chance you not only need to shoot, but the delay makes a difference.

It does happen - the guys in the Texas church seemed delayed (2-3 seconds?) by something, and it cost one his life, and it might have caused the 2nd victim his life. But this event probably shows that manual or no manual matters less than (1) did you practice your draw from under clothing enough, and (2) are you in shape, so that you can move when you need to.

Don
There is a difference between practicing for competition and practicing for CC/defence, my focus was pure and simple. Both my CCW and full-size carry were DA/SA, both had a manual safety that up=off. No fancy loads, no competition focus, just the same routine over and over. Always the same triple tap.

I've been called "consistent" as both a compliment and an insult. In this case it works in my favor, it doesn't always work that way.

And it has nothing to do with being "smart"

And I'm sure in IDPA competition you'd make me look like an idiot, but I never miss that safety, so there are things we are good at and things we are not. Both of us.

Back
Top Bottom